Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Discoveries  by shirebound

HOLIDAY BLESSINGS


“Mum made them,” Sam said shyly. He had been given permission this year to deliver the Gamgee family’s Yule gifts to Bag End, and he held up a small package wrapped in brown paper and tied with sturdy string. The evening air was crisp and clean, and the stars glittered overhead. Sam’s breath came in little frosty puffs as he spoke.

“Thank you, Sam,” Frodo said. He held it up to his nose and inhaled deeply. “Oh my, this smells delicious!”

“Doesn’t it?” Sam beamed. “Mum used a few drops of peppermint oil in her sweets this year. She made these for you and Mr. Bilbo, too.” He handed Frodo the larger, bulkier package.

Frodo looked back through the open door of Bag End to make sure Bilbo wasn’t in sight, then bent to whisper in Sam’s ear.

“What is it? I won’t tell Bilbo, I promise.”

Sam loved that he and Mr. Frodo shared so many secrets. Gifts were meant to be surprises until opened, but he had quickly learned that the young master could never wait to know their contents.

“Scarves,” Sam whispered back. “One blue with brown flowers, and one brown with yellow leaves.”

Frodo grinned. “We’ll love them, Sam. Bilbo and I will thank your Mum personally when we bring our gifts in the morning.”

Sam bid Frodo goodnight, then headed down the lane towards home.

Frodo stood in the open doorway for a moment, warmed by the youngster’s friendship and generous heart. He held the packages appreciatively; whether in work, smiles, or gifts, the Gamgees always gave the best they had. They were the kindest folk in Hobbiton, and no mistake.

Sam looked back and waved before turning into Bagshot Row. Young as he was, he knew that this Yule brought much to celebrate; the larders were full, the family healthy, and firewood was stacked high for the winter. Not only that, Mr. Frodo and Mr. Bilbo were the kindest folk in Hobbiton, and no mistake.

“Come inside, Frodo lad, before you catch cold!”

Bilbo waited by the hearth fire, and Frodo scurried back inside to join him.

Frodo felt the most fortunate of hobbits; he had friends and a home, and knew he was loved and wanted. Tomorrow he and Bilbo would deliver gifts of food and other welcome things to their neighbors before returning home to their own small feast. But tonight they would read aloud to one another for awhile longer, then raise a final toast before wishing each other a happy Yule and blowing out the lamps.

**END**

May the holidays and New Year bring you joy, everyone!
.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List