Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Laire's Assorted Drabbles and Ficlets  by Aelaer

This uses some 'canon' established in my Tales of Life series. For those unacquainted with it, I made Aragorn and Halbarad close in age and Sarnhold is where the chieftains have resided for many years (and is Halbarad's home, as well).

Unbetaed. Apologies for any mistakes in advance. It's the muses' fault.


2952 TA

She was beautiful. How had he not seen it before? He surely must have been blind all of these years.

"Halbarad?"

Her long, dark tresses reflected the firelight as a pool reflected stars twinkling in the deep night sky- and yet no water could ever begin to compare to the beauty of her hair.

"Halbarad, are you well?"

Her eyes were a light grey, as if they were made of silver- nay, mithril! Her eyes surely were crafted with mithril, for no eyes could glisten so brightly otherwise.

"Halbarad!"

The young man broke out of his musings and glanced to his cousin. "Yes?"

Aragorn raised his brow at the expression on the other's face. "You haven't been listening to me at all, have you?"

He felt his cheeks burn slightly and hoped that his kinsman would not notice in the dim, flickering light of the bonfire. "I am afraid my thoughts were elsewhere, Cousin," he admitted. "My apologies. What were you saying?"

The other man only shook his head, a slight smile on his lips as he glanced at the dancers near the bonfire. "What I have to say is not nearly as important as the lady who encompasses your thoughts," he said.

Halbarad's gaze, which had already strayed back to her lithe form, swiftly turned away to look at the man who, given a bit more time, would be his chieftain. "I beg your pardon?" he said hurriedly.

Aragorn laughed at his startled expression. "I am neither daft nor blind, Halbarad! Your eyes have been upon Mireth ever since we returned, and this night is worse than all others. You haven't stopped looking at her ever since the feast ended."

He said nothing in response for a moment, unable to deny his cousin's words. Rather he turned once more to the young lady who danced merrily about the large fire with his sister Lothwen; both girls had been friends for many years, yet it was not until his return to Sarnhold a couple days ago when he noticed just how beautiful she was. "Is she not the fairest woman you have ever seen?" he finally muttered.

"Fair indeed," said Aragorn, but his thoughts turned to another lady with hair darker and skin lighter than Mireth's. He had told no one in the Dúnedain community about his passion for Elrond's daughter, and he had no plans to; he did not desire to hear their rebukes that would only echo those he heard from his mother and foster father. He swiftly turned his attention once more to his kinsman's plight. "Go and ask her to dance," he suggested.

Halbarad visibly blanched. "I cannot dance!"

"Do you think she will mind? Go on, ask!"

"I- I will not take her from my sister, they are obviously enjoying each other's company," Halbarad rebutted. "Lothwen would not like being alone."

The other laughed. "Very well, I will take your sister as partner and then she will not be alone." He pulled Halbarad to his feet and the young man had no time to protest as he was all but dragged to the bonfire. Before he could gather his wits and make his way back to the edge of the circle, they were with the two girls.

"Lady Mireth," said Aragorn with a short bow and a wide smile, "I hope you do not mind if I cut in and ask my fair cousin for a dance?"

Mireth, who had little contact with the son of Arathorn and found herself still uncomfortable in his presence quickly replied with a curtsey. "Of course, my lord."

Lothwen, who was four years Aragorn's junior, giggled at the formality. "I would be delighted, Cousin. I remember your dancing when you first came here and the elves taught you well!" She quickly pulled him away, sending her brother a quick wink as they joined the other dancers.

'The little wretch, she is onto this ploy too!' he thought, but his attention was soon turned to the lovely woman by his side. Mireth looked at him silently, though Halbarad was unable to read her in his nervousness. "I-" he started, and then cleared this throat. "Err, shall we?" he said, hoping that his stutter was only imagined.

She smiled gently, causing his heart to melt. "I would be delighted," she said, and he saw no mocking in her eyes. He slowly took her by the hand and she laid her other upon his shoulder and they began to dance. He danced long after Aragorn and Lothwen had abandoned the bonfire, yet he did not notice for his attention was only upon Mireth, and she upon him. They danced long into the night, heedless of all others but themselves and the light in their eyes.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List