Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Centenary of Special Significance  by Baggins Babe

Blossom tucked in a little closer to Nibs and sipped at the cup of spiced mead, the smell redolent of Yule and frosty days in the Shire. She had a cloak spread over her knees but the number of warm bodies in the Golden Hall kept it at a comfortable temperature even with the great central fire out and the doors open to the night sky. She could see stars glittering like diamonds above the plains of Rohan. The huge cressets outside the doors were also dark and the only light inside the Meduseld came from one torch in a sconce on the wall behind the dais and a flickering candle-clock nearby. When all the red wax was burned down it would be midnight and the beginning of the new year.

       On the other side of the hall she could see Lord Gloin and King Thranduil deep in conversation. At one point the Dwarf said something and the Elf threw back his head and laughed. It was strange to see those two being so friendly after Mr Bilbo's tales of Thranduil locking the Dwarves in his dungeons, but no doubt the great affection between their sons had brought them closer. Nearby sat Glorfindel and the Twins, talking with the younger Rangers and some of Eomer's housecarles.

       On the dais Queen Lothiriel cradled little Aelfrede while young Eowyn sat on her father's lap. Elfwine sat with several of the other lads who served as pages, playing knuckle bones as the time passed agonisingly slowly. King Eomer shifted his daughter's weight to his other knee and conversed with Tarondor and Erithain. Blossom thought the king of Rohan very handsome and charming, and enjoyed teasing Nibs by saying so frequently, just to see her husband scowl slightly. Eomer was wearing the crown of Rohan and a sumptuous embroidered tunic in dark green, decorated with a running horse and golden sunbursts.

      Eomer glanced once more at the candle clock, turned to Brand and raised his eyebrows in unspoken query. The hobbit took out his pocket watch and nodded. The King of Rohan set his daughter on her feet and stood up, lifting the torch from its bracket. In the sudden hush he walked down into the hall and strode towards the dark hearth. The light from the flames glinted in his hair and beard and sparked red fire in the crown. Nibs wondered how kingly Lord Estel would look in his crown.

       "My friends! The Golden Hall has not seen a gathering such as this since my uncle's funeral and the betrothal of my sister Eowyn. The hour is come. The old year dies and passes his torch to the new year, and we light the fire of Meduseld with a flame from the last year's fire, thus passing strength and good fortune from year to year. This flame was first kindled by Eorl himself, from the light of Anor as it shone upon Dunharrow. May Bema and the Powers bless and guard us all."

       He raised the torch high and then lowered it slowly into the pile of fresh kindling and logs. The oiled wood caught light quickly and hungry flames licked along each piece, reflected in the faces of those watching.

       Everyone held their breath, charged goblets at the ready, as Eomer stepped outside and lit the two enormous cressets in front of the doors. As he re-entered everyone stood and cheered, raised their glasses and drank.

                                                                        *************

       A few days into the new year and a large procession set out from Edoras - Elves, Dwarves, Men and Hobbits, accompanied by the King and Queen of Rohan and their escort. Lothiriel urged her mare close to the hobbits' carriage and smiled at them.

       "Blossom, you said you are nervous of horses and ponies. Would you be willing to ride with me for a while? Nimrodel is very gentle and has carried my children many times."

       Within a few moments Blossom was up on the sorrel mare, seated in front of the Queen of Rohan. She was very wary at first but gradually felt herself relax. The Queen chatted easily, tallking of everyday things, until she felt the tension drain out of the hobbitess.

       "You know, I was terrified of horses at one time. I fell off one when I was little and after that I refused to ride."

       "What changed your mind, my lady?"

       "I fell in love with the King of the horse-lords," Lothiriel said with a smile, her gaze flicking to the head of the procession where Eomer rode with the Steward of Arnor. "I realised I could hardly become their queen if I refused to go near a horse. I asked him to teach me to ride - men feel flattered by that sort of thing. I'm sure if you ask Nibs he will be only too happy to teach you. Eomer too would be delighted to help."

       "Would the King of Rohan really be willin' to teach me to ride?" Blossom was unable to keep the surprise out of her voice and Lothiriel laughed.

       "He enjoys instructing others, and there is no finer horseman in Middle-earth." She lowered her voice. "Besides, all men enjoy showing off just a little."

       "That's true, my lady," Blossom said with a chuckle, and patted the mare's neck. This journey was becoming ever more interesting and enjoyable.

                                                                         *********

       As they rounded the skirts of Mount Mindolluin their vision was filled by the jagged peaks of the Ephel Duath. Lord Tarondor road alongside the hobbits'carriage.

       "Those are the Mountains of Shadow."

       Eomer nodded and smiled down at Blossom who was riding with him, gaining confidence on horseback. "Beyond lies Mordor," he murmured.

       Blossom shivered. In the land of Mordor, where the shadows lie......... The words rose unbidden in her mind, sinister and brooding. Then she smiled. There were no shadows in Mordor now, thanks to Mister Frodo and Sam. The mountains did not look any more threatening than any others, their steep sides covered in gorse and small plants which clung to the rock, hugging the inhospitable slopes and providing small pockets of colour.

       The White City rose before them in the morning sun, gleaming walls and the Tower of Ecthelion piercing the sky, the great black banner slapping in the breeze. On the fields around them people tended their crops and animals, singing and talking, waving to the great procession.

       "What is that?" asked Marjy, pointing to a green mound.

       "That is Snowmane's How, where we buried my uncle's noble horse after the battle," replied Eomer. "Poor beast, it was not his fault that he crushed his master in his agony."

       "That must be where the Witch-King's beast was burned," said Brand, indicating a barren patch of earth. "Frodo says nothing ever grows there."

       Close to the foot of Mount Mindolluin stood a black marble obelisk. It was a memorial to all those who had lost their lives on the Pelennor and in the defence of Osgiliath, and it also marked a mass grave. Erithain and his sons saluted as they rode slowly past, and many others did so too, out of respect for the lives which had been lost.

       "Is Captain Halbarad buried there too?" Gil asked Tarondor.

       "Yes, Habarad and Eldacar were buried with the men of Gondor. Erithain and our lord King both thought it was an honourable resting-place."

       Blossom looked at the people looking after their crops and livestock just as well as hobbits of the Shire. A small boy steered his goats out of the way and smiled shyly at the Elves and Dunedain, but his face broke into a grin of genuine delight when he saw hobbits in the party.

       At last they approached the great gates of Minas Anor, which stood open. Blossom and the other hobbits stared up at the magnificent workmanship, the mithril figures which dwarfed everyone. The wood was so thick they had to be opened by machinery and they looked capable of stopping a charging dragon.

       They were so enthralled by the sight of the city and the gates that they did not at first notice the two Men standing just outside. Freddy Took saw them before anyone else in the party, and shrieked in a carrying voice,

       "Uncy Estel!! We've come for your birfday!"

       "Freddy! You have grown into a mighty warrior already!" The King strode towards them, arms outstretched. and Freddy took a flying leap from Erithain's horse and landed with his arms round Aragorn's neck, much to the amusement of the watching crowd.

       Soon everyone was dismounting and embracing their King and his Steward, as well as Gimli and Legolas, who had been unable to resist the prospect of seeing the visitors first. The children were hugged and bounced, baby Jonquil was passed around like a parcel, gurgling and crowing, and Aragorn embraced Erithain with some emotion. He knew how difficult the journey must have been.

       "Erithain, my dear cousin, it fills my heart with joy to see you again - and how proud you must be of these two!" He indicated Dirhael and Hallas, who bowed before embracing their King.

       "I have been privileged to experience what Lord Tarondor refers to as 'the healing power of hobbits'." Erithain smiled down at Freddy. "Master Freddy has made our journey much lighter by adopting me. His personal project seems to be to keep me cheerful and see that I smile more."

       "And it works, I see. No-one like hobbits for keeping anyone cheerful, and no better hobbit than a Took." He beamed at Blossom. "I did not think you would travel so far, Mistress Blossom."

       She curtseyed. "Couldn't have you celebratin' a birthday like this 'un and no-one from Hobbiton to help. Nibs really wanted to come and I decided to stop bein' an addle-pated goose and join him."

      "I'm delighted that you did. Come, let us ride to the Citadel. Arwen and Eowyn are trying to keep the children calm but they will explode if they don't meet you soon."

                                                                        ************

       The ride to the Citadel took their breath away. There were so many people, so much bustle, the buildings were all like palaces and the shops so full of goods that Marjy could not believe her eyes.  The crowds cheered and threw flowers and called out greetings, asking after the Lords Iorhael and Perhael.

       They all dismounted at the Sixth Level, and the horses and ponies were all taken to the stables. Faramir had seen to it that the carts containing all the gifts were whisked away during the procession, in case Aragorn decided to peer in and prod any of the packages.The Steward's Apartments were becoming rather full.

       Blossom curtseyed to the two women standing by the steps. She felt soft hands raising her and gazed into blue-grey eyes so full of wisdom and gentleness that her nervousness fell away. She had never seen anyone more beautiful than Arwen Undomiel and struggled to say something.

       "I must say," Arwen whispered, crouching and holding Blossom's hands in hers, "Master Nibs looks very like Rose. Welcome, my dear Blossom. I hope you will enjoy your time in Gondor."

       "I'm sure I shall, my lady Queen. Nibs does take after his Ma for looks so he does look like Rose."

       Eowyn greeted all the guests affectionately and the children embraced them with unbounded enthusiasm. Glorfindel found himself claimed by little Melian, Torni rode on Eldarion's shoulders and Freddy bowed to Arwen very solemnly before deciding the beautiful lady needed a big hug. Gradually the guests were shepherded inside and shown to their rooms, where cake, fruit and juices awaited them.

       The hobbits gazed around, enchanted by the hobbit-sized rooms and furniture. Blossom had never imagined such luxury and ran about the room, peeping in all the drawers and cupboards and gasping at the bathing-room next door, filled with soft towels and scented soaps. This was the adventure of a lifetime.      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List