Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Centenary of Special Significance  by Baggins Babe

On the way back to the Citadel they were met on the Sixth Level by the ladies and children, who steered them towards the stables. Eomer took charge.

       "It is time for you to see your gift from Rohan - part of your gift, I should say. The other part will be presented at the feast later." He led the way to the holding stall in a secluded area, and two of the Rohirrim led out two very noble-looking horses, clearly of the Mearas. "These two mares should be a suitable addition to the breeding stock of the Royal Stables. One is grand-daughter to Shadowfax, as you can see from her colour, and the other is sister to my own mount."

       Aragorn spoke softly in Elvish and both horses responded with soft wuffling noises. The white horse - and she was silver-white rather than grey - licked his face and the pale gold mare snuffled at his clothes, clearly expecting a treat. One of the grooms handed the King some apples and he fed the new members of his equine family.

       "They are quite perfect. Eomer, my friend, thank you. To have the line of Shadowfax in Gondor's horses is an honour indeed. What are their names?"

       "I leave their naming to you, my brother. You are now their lord."

       Aragorn looked at the two beautiful mares, one silver and one gold. Arwen smiled as the same thought took shape in her mind.

       "There is only one pair of names to give these two magnificent creatures - Laurelin and Telperion, after the Two Trees of Valinor."

       Faramir looked delighted. "That is a perfect choice, my lord. Most apt."

       Gil-galad, Aragorn's horse, poked his head over the door of his stall and eyed the mares appreciatively.

       "Typical!" Eowyn laughed. "He has noticed his new wives already!"

       "Adar!" Gilraen began to pluck at her father's sleeve. "Come and see Uncle Sam's gift."

       "Oh yes, do come!" Eldarion grasped Aragorn's hand. Melian was already toddling speedily in the direction of the gardens, her little face a picture of determination.

       Everyone bade farewell to the horses and followed the excited children. Nibs and Brand pointed to a group of saplings in large pots and Aragorn saw young oak, elm, ash and birch trees as well as several varieties of fruit trees.

       "That's not all, adar!" Eldarion gestured towards an area where the gardeners were taking down canvas sheets which had screened a large section of the garden for weeks.

       "Close your eyes," murmured Arwen, taking his hands and leading her husband forward. "There! Now you can look."

       Aragorn opened his eyes and gasped. One whole corner of the gardens had been transformed into a Shire Spring, with glowing crocuses in jewel-like colours, delicate nodding cyclamen flowers, creamy primroses, early violets, bright blue early speedwells, fragrant hyacinths in deep blue and pink, sweet wallflowers, shy narcissi and cheerful daffodils. At the back stood blackthorn bushes, their boughs heavy with snowy blossom, pink flowering cherry trees and golden forsythia.

       "Sam has been sending bulbs and saplings for months, in order that this should be ready for today," said Faramir, smiling. "He designed this before their visit ended and has been writing to the gardeners with instructions for the care of these Shire plants since they returned home over a year ago."

       "It is utterly beautiful and will ever be a reminder of the loveliness of the Shire." Aragorn bent to examine the smaller plants, marvelling at the bright colours and the nodding trumpets of the daffodils.

       "I can't wait until we visit," said Eldarion fervently. "I want to stay there for a whole year and watch all the seasons and see all the flowers and trees in bloom." He had an Elven love of growing things.

       Aragorn laughed. "Patience, my son, patience. We shall be going north soon and you can all play with the Shire children and run barefoot round Hobbiton to your hearts' content."

                                                                         ************

       Prince Imrahil's gift was a new and extremely fast sailing ship, small enough to be manned by a crew of five. These were traditionally raced off the coast of Dol Amroth and Aragorn enjoyed the sport immensely.

       Faramir presented his soveriegn with a set of detailed drawings for a family-sized retreat which he had built in Emyn Arnen, where the King and Queen and their children could enjoy peace and quiet and informality. They could hardly wait to stay there and Arwen was looking forward to carrying out simple household tasks for her family.

       Gimli returned from his room with a very long box which he presented to Aragorn. "No non-Dwarf has ever been given one of these, but you, my brother, are a very special case - although I daresay the pointy-ear will receive one soon," he added wryly.

       Aragorn opened the box and pulled back the layers of cloth to reveal a magnificent dwarven battle-axe. He was fully aware of the honour; Dwarves did not share their traditions with other races, and a battle-axe was as special to a Dwarf as Anduril was to him.

       "The runes on the blade proclaim the axe as the property of Estel, hope of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth. I put all your other names on the handle, since there wasn't room for them on the blade, laddie." Gimli gave a throaty chuckle.

       "I don't know what to say. Gimli, my dear friend, I am truly amazed."

       "Hah! I've never known you lost for words before."

       "It seems there's a first time for everything," said Elladan.

       "Uncy Estel! Uncy Estel!" Freddy and Torni hurtled into the room bearing small, gaily-wrapped boxes. "Happy birfday!"

       Aragorn took the boxes and opened them carefully while the little faunts hovered about, anxiously awaiting his reaction. Torni's gift was a deftly carved eagle and Freddy's a hound, the image of Pharos who slept before the fire and endured the games and teasings of the two cats with equanimity. The faunts had watched a disabled veteran of the Pelennor Fields carving various animals at the entrance to a shop on the Third Level, and were enchanted.

       "Why, these are beautiful! I shall treasure these, my young friends." He scooped the small hobbits on to his lap and hugged them. "Now I have gifts for you also."

       Eldarion trotted in, carrying presents, and the excited faunts were soon squealing with delight as they opened packages containing new suits of clothes - Torni's in dark blue and Freddy's in a rich gold - and wooden swords. For little Jonquil there was an exquisitely carved teething-ring in mumak ivory and a delicate silk dress.

                                                                         ************

       Following an early luncheon the children were packed off for a nap. Aragorn made his way to the chamber at the top of the White Tower, to look into the Master-Stone and see what was happening in the Shire.

       Crickhollow was a hive of jollification - Saradoc walking around with little Theo in his arms, Merry and Pippin dancing on a table, Esme scolding the unrepentant pair for the banner which proclaimed Happy Birthday, Strider!' and Diamond and Estella giggling together as they watched their husbands scoffing slices of iced cake.

       In Tuckborough the Tooks were party mood. Persimmon was clearly bossing everyone, young Primula was dancing with one of her cousins and Paladin and Eglantine presided over the celebration with enormous enthusiasm. A great iced fruit cake was carried into the centre of the field and the Thain cut the first slice.

       Hobbiton was full of happy hobbits. The Party Field was full of groaning tables laden with pies, cakes and bottles. Lily Cotton was handing out pasties, Jolly Cotton ladled steaming soup into bowls and Ivy Sandyman was basting the meat with Tully Noakes. They looked very comfortable together and Aragorn raised his eyebrows and grinned as he realised what this might signify. Sam, Rose and Frodo sat together at the top table, almost hidden behind a huge cake. Aragorn humphed a bit at this - everyone had cake except him apparently!

       "Did you see the Shire? Are our beloved friends celebrating your birthday in suitable style? They muct be having fun." Arwen greeted him when he returned to the Royal Apartments.

       "They are indeed having a great deal of fun. They are also having a great deal of cake! Everywhere I looked there was cake! Do you think I somehow offended Rose without realising it?"

       "I shouldn't think so, dear," Arwen replied, in what her brothers and Legolas teased her was her 'wifey voice.' "Now I think you should go and change. We must be in the Hall of Feasts first this day, in order that you may greet each of your guests." She shooed him in the direction of his dressing-room.

       "Your clothes have been laid out for you.

       There was Arwen's gift - a silver silk shirt, dark blue velvet tunic and trousers, a sleeveless over-gown in blue and silver and a beautiful black cloak embroidered with the blossoming White Tree in mithril thread dotted with tiny gemstones and pearls. The tree seemed to have its roots at the hem and grew up the whole length of the cloak. Arwen's breathtaking skill was obvious in every stitch. He stretched out his hand and stroked the embroidery, aware that these clothes had been made with love.

                                                                          ************

       The King and Queen stood together to greet each guest, joyfully embracing old friends, crouching to hug various children. Azarafti, ambassador from Harad, had been astonished the first time his children were included in an invitation, since official banquets were not normally a place for children, but he had grown used to the King's way of doing things, and his sons and daughter were overjoyed to be invited. They ran to the Lord Elessar to give him their greetings, jumping up to be enfolded, admiring the King's clothes and chattering away in fluent Westron.

       "Congratulations, my lord Elessar. May the gods smile upon this auspicious day and grant you and both our lands peace and prosperity."

       "I sincerely hope so, my lord, and thank you for your good wishes. I am delighted to have you and your family here to share this day with us. Lady Yashimi, your beauty increases every time I see you."

       Azarafti's wife giggled and bowed. "Thank you my lord Elessar. I join my husband in wishing you many more such days."

       When all the guests were in the Merethrond, King Eomer spoke.

       "My lord King, whom I am honoured to also call friend and brother. What does one give a king on his hundredth birthday? Like our friend Gimli, I wished to honour you by giving you something not normally given to someone outside Rohan." He took a beautiful golden sunburst from a cushion held by one of his housecarls. "As my uncle once said to Gandalf, I hereby create you a lord of the Mark and chieftain of the Eorlingas while our kin shall last. May we never need to call upon your aid in war, but only in peace and celebration!"

       The two kings embraced, to applause from everyone.

       Various gifts were presented by the guests and taken to the far end of the Hall to be displayed, together with those which the King had received earlier. There was a wonderful portable writing desk from the Master of Buckland, made from oak and inlaid with different woods in a decorative pattern of wildflowers and seed-heads; a magnificent silver punch bowl and ladle from Thranduil and the Mirkwood Elves, the handle of the ladle in the form of a swan's head; and a superb fifty-piece dinner service in delicate white porcelain with a silver tracery pattern and a black and pale blue rim, a gift from his beloved small Knight of the Citadel.

       Azarafti bowed and presented the King with a long box. Curious, Aragorn opened it and pushed aside the layers of silk to reveal a finely wrought curved sword with a hilt studded with pearls and gemstones.

       "It was made for my great-grandfather, many years ago."

       "It would surely be wrong to deprive your son of a family heirloom," Aragorn protested.

       "Were it not for you - and the Ringbearers - my family would not be as complete as it is. I consulted my father and brother on this as well as my sons, and they were adamant that this sword should be presented to you as a token of our gratitude."

       "Well then I am honoured and will treasure it always. Let it be a symbol of peace between our two lands."

       The lord of Harad knelt and kissed the hand of the King. "I should like to send a gift to the Ringbearers, but I am sure they would not appreciate a weapon of any sort. I need to seek your advice on this, my lord Elessar."

       "No, such gentle souls would not wish for weapons but they would appreciate your gift and the thought behind it. I shall give the matter some thought."

       "The trumpets sounded and the Lord Chamberlain arrived to conduct the King to his seat at the high table.

                                                                         ************

       "There is another gift, my lord King, " said Faramir, bowing. He nodded to the guards and the massive candle holders were hauled towards the ceiling on great chains. A door opened and light was visible, illuminating the passageway with flickering fire. Six of the kitchen's sturdiest cooks entered, carrying a table on which was the largest cake anyone had ever seen. In fact to call it a cake was an understatement. It was a work of art. It stood more than six feet high and was made up of seven tiers, in honour of the seven levels of the White City. Each tier was covered in white icing and edged in icing shells. Around the sides of each tier were small shields of thinly cut wood which had been painted in black. On each, painted in silver, was a symbol of Aragorn's life, beginning with Eriador, the Trollshaws and the gates of Rivendell on the lowest and including tiny maps of Rohan and Gondor, the Ring of Barahir,the Shards of Narsil, the Star of Arnor, Cerin Amroth, Anduril Reforged, and ending on the topmost tier with the White Tree, the Sceptre of Anuminas, the Seven Stars and the Winged Crown. Black and silver ribbons were looped around, fixed in place by the shields and tied in bows. Ten large black and silver barley-sugar-twist candles blazed at the very top.

       "It's a cake," Aragorn mumbled.

       "See what an Elven education does for you, laddie," said Gimli, grinning widely. "You recognise a cake when you see one!" Behind him, Legolas snorted in a most un-Elf-like manner and Brand was almost sure he heard Glorfindel snigger.

       "You surely did not think Rose would allow such a special day to go by without sending a cake, did you?" Arwen was smiling.

       "Silly adar!" said Gilraen fondly.

       "Rose and May have outdone themselves this time," said Faramir.

       The hobbits were convulsed at the sight of the King's dumbfounded expression. He had truly not suspected a thing. Arwen had been very convincing in her disappointment that Rose found herself unable to supply a cake this time, and the children had added their woeful expressions to complete the picture, while the hobbits seemed very regretful and sympathetic.

       "You knew about this?" Aragorn asked a smirking Dwarf.

       "Of course I did. I made the cake tins for the bottom two tiers. They needed to be larger than any in the Shire or Bree so I made them specially. They were baked in the baker's oven in Hobbiton too."

       "Dreadful really. I'm sorry, my lord King, but we really wanted this to be a complete surprise."

       Faramir did not look too regretful. He had a huge grin on his face, and the hobbits were just as bad. Even Erithain was grinning, and the little hobbits could not contain their glee.

       "Rose made the cake and iced it, May did the decorative icing, Sam and Pippin cut the tiny shields and Merry and Frodo painted them, Ivy Sandyman supplied the ribbons and I'm told the twins who run the candle stall made the candles specially. As you can see it was a communal effort," said Gilibard, laughing.

       "Rose threatened me with a painful death if I let slip that we'd brought it with us - and if any of the icing had fallen off I wouldn't have dared go back home," declared Nibs.

       "It would have meant the tea towel for sure," said the King solemnly.

       "What is a tea towel?" asked the Lady Yashimi in a whisper to her husband. The Queen's Elven hearing caught the question and she came to Azarafti's rescue.

       "It is a cloth used to dry dishes. Rose is expert at flicking it in such a way that it catches the unwary just behind the ear, which is particularly sensitive in hobbits. Pippin is the most frequent victim."

       "The Lady Rose attacks Captain Peregrin with a cloth?" Azarafti asked in astonishment.

       "Oh yes. Pippin takes it in good part. He begs to be scolded and rapped over the knuckles with a wooden spoon by nosing in pots and pans on the stove and asking when the meal will be ready. And Frodo and Merry say it is good for Pippin to be treated firmly."

       "You really are all utterly incorrigible and cruel to convince me there was no cake," Aragorn said, but he was grinning.

       "I think you'd best blow out those candles afore they set fire to the cake," Nibs remarked, ever practical.

       A set of wooden steps had been thoughtfully placed beside the table and the King cast aside his cloak and climbed up.

       "Make a wish, adar!" cried Eldarion. "Uncle Frodo says you have to make a wish."

       Aragorn took a deep breath and blew out the candles, to loud cheers and whoops from everyone. He closed his eyes and made a wish, then stepped back to allow the court painter to sketch the creation before it was cut.

                                                                         ************

       "Two more gifts, my lord," said Faramir, entering the Great Hall once more. Several servants walked behind him, one carrying a flat, rectangular package and three others bearing a long roll of what looked like a carpet.

       "Eowyn, has your husband become a conjuror? I keep expecting him to produce white rabbits from his sleeves and coins from behind my ear!"

       Eowyn laughed. "I think these must be the last two. The flat parcel is from Merry and the giant rolll is from Frodo."

       "I shall save Frodo's till last I think." He felt along the edges of the parcel, which was at least four feet wide. Opening one end revealed a wooden frame and he pulled the paper off quickly, eager to see what it was.

       Gasps of delight rippled round as the last of the wrappings slipped off. There, painted by Merry's skillful hand and seen through his loving eyes, was the Bag End family, smiling and joyful. Aragorn was thrilled to have a proper portrait of the whole family and spent several minutes just looking at it and smiling as he showed Arwen and the children.

       The royal children finally grew impatient and full of curiosity about the last gift and their father hastened to satisfy their inquisitiveness. Two pages came forward and assisted by helping to unravel the roll.

       "It must be a carpet!"

       "I think it is a wall hanging."

       "It's very large............"

       At last the magnificent gift was revealed in all its glory. It was a tapestry, made in the finest Shire wool, with a border full of various animals, birds, flowers and insects. In the centre was a picture of breathtaking beauty.

       "It's the view from Bag End!" Aragorn exclaimed. "This is the view from Frodo's front doorstep."

       Everyone crowded round to admire the picture so finely worked in stitches so tiny it was barely believeable. There were the smials of New Row, the gardens a riot of colour; Tully Noakes' sheep were small puffs of white in the fields beyond, and in the Party Field the slender silver trunk of the mallorn reached towards the sky, topped with a crown of gold.

       "I think that must go in your study, Estel. You can hang it on the wall opposite your desk, and then you can visit the Shire when matters of state become too appressive."

       Aragorn thought about that. "I could......or we could have it in the sitting-room and then we can all enjoy it. Frodo, my beloved small brother, you have a knack for giving just the right gift."

                                                                          ***********

       A little later, enjoying their first taste of Rose's finest fruit cake, Azarafti and his family wandered to the other end of the Hall to look at the many gifts. He wished to take a closer look at the portait of the Ringbearers, having missed their visit to Gondor because his father's severe illness had called him home. He studied the picture carefully.

       In the centre, in a comfortable looking chair with a velvet seat and carved arms, sat a pretty female hobbit. She wore a blue dress and matching blue ribbons in her hair, and her lips curved in a little secret smile. She held a hobbit child on her lap, who clutched a brown woolly toy dog and sucked reflectively on its ear. One the floor at her feet, on what was obviously a very fine carpet, was another child who was engrossed in arranging some wooden farm animals. Next to him was a small girl child, who wore a pink dress with embroidered roses on the skirt. She held two rag dolls and was busy with some wooden blocks. Between the two children sprawled a large orange and white cat, who reclined indolently and seemed to be ignoring the tiny black kitten who was pawing at his tail. To the right of the small lad on the rug was a creature Azarafti recognised but was surprised to see in a picture from the northern lands - a tortoise. To Mistress Rose's left stood a sturdy-looking hobbit with corn-coloured curls and gentle hazel eyes, who wore a pale gold waistcoat and dark brown cord trousers. His left arm was round a delicately pretty child with very fair hair and intense blue-green eyes. On the other side was a lad who could only have been the son of Lord Samwise, with the same soft gaze and strong build. His arm bent upwards, he was holding the hand which rested on his right shoulder - a hand which lacked a finger.

       The lord from Harad gazed long at the face of the Ringbearer, gripped by wonder and a sense of bewitchment. Frodo Baggins stared out, his blue eyes twinkling with the light of the stars. He had unusual features for a hobbit, as Aazarafti understood them, with a straight nose, high cheekbones and very dark hair. The eyes were most arresting, full of hard-won wisdom, resignation and gentle acceptance. The mouth curved in a genuinely good-humoured smile which indicated that he was obviously at ease with the artist.

       The King joined the Haradri in his scrutiny. "Rose has the smile of a woman who knows she is with child but has told no-one else. I believe Merry painted this in early Halimath but added the kitten in later. He probably did the preliminary sketchs in the summer."

       "The Lord Frodo looks a remarkable person."

       "Indeed he is, and I hope one day you will meet him and Sam."

       "Well, little brother, have you enjoyed your birthday?" Elladan enquired.

       "Need you ask?"

       "And you thought there would be no cake! How did the hobbits manage to keep that a secret?"

       "Faramir hid everything in the Steward's Wing!" Elrohir added. "Anyway, being a hundred is nothing. You're a mere child, Estel. Why, when I was that age I was still behaving like an ellon."

       "You still do!" Aragorn declared, laughing.

       Blossom sat quietly eating her cake and taking in as much of the experience as she could. She found it difficult to believe that she was sitting in the Hall of Feasts in Gondor, surrounded by Elves, Dwarves, kings and princes, fine lords and ladies, wearing a silk dress richer than anything she had owned, helping the King to celebrate his birthday. She wanted to pinch herself.

       "Blossom Cotton, you really have changed, my lass," she murmured. "What a day it's been. What a perfectly lovely day!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List