Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stirrings of Shadow  by Fiondil

26: Lifting the Siege

When they returned to Théoden’s room it was to find the boy awake and eating a bowl of gruel. He was not looking very happy about it, but his eyes lit up when Thengel entered.

"Ada!"

Thengel went to his son and hugged him and tried to kiss him.

"Ada, I’m eating," Théoden protested in boyish disgust.

All the men laughed.

"Are you feeling better, iôn nîn?" Thengel asked.

"Yes, Ada, now that I’m with you."

Aragorn came to the other side of the bed. "Any dizziness or double vision, my prince?" he asked.

Théoden shook his head. "I’m fine, Thorongil, just hungry." He turned to Thengel. "Can I have something besides gruel, Ada? This is awful." He made a face and pushed the bowl away.

The men laughed again and Thengel ruffled his son’s hair. "Thorongil is the one you must ask, Théoden, for he is your healer."

The boy looked up at Aragorn with a hopeful expression. Aragorn smiled. "Finish the gruel and if you can keep it down I will order some eggs softly boiled and some dry toast. If you can keep all that down then you may eat what you will."

Théoden glowered at the offending bowl of gruel and Thengel gave him another hug.

"Do as Thorongil says, child. You must be strong for the journey we will make soon."

"What journey, Ada?" the boy asked in confusion.

"Why, to see your nana, of course!" Thengel feigned surprise. "She’s waiting for us at Dunharrow along with your sisters."

The boy considered this, then sighed and began to spoon the gruel, all the while muttering deprecations against the cooks in Sindarin. Aragorn and Thengel traded smiles and moved away from the bed along with Erkenbard.

"So what are our plans?" Erkenbard asked softly.

Thengel stared at the map of Aldburg still lying on the floor where they had left it. "We lift the siege," he said finally, then he crouched down to look at the map more closely. "Let’s get Hildebrand and his son in here so we can discuss this."

The order was given and soon the First Marshal and his heir arrived. They all gathered around the map. Thengel pointed out the hidden passage to them. "We will send most of the éored out through the secret passage," he said. "Half will position themselves to the east under Hildebrand’s command, the other half to the west, under Hildered’s. The rest of the éored will mount and we will sortie out of the gates. At the blowing of the horns, the two flanks will attack, hopefully sowing enough confusion that we can rout this army."

"When will we attack?" Aragorn asked. It was a risky plan, but their options were thin on the ground.

"We will send the men out after midnight. There will be no moon tonight for clouds are coming in and it may even snow before dawn. At dawn we’ll attack. The last watch will be less vigilant and the rest of the camp will still be asleep."

"As good a plan as any, my lord," Erkenbard stated. "Risky, to be sure, but better than the alternative." Hildebrand grunted his agreement.

"I will not surrender to my mother," Thengel said baldly. "I hope to take her when we attack. There is much for her to answer for." He stole a glance at Théoden still working on the gruel.

Théoden looked up when he felt his father’s gaze on him. "Grandmama isn’t there, Ada."

They all looked at the boy. "What do you mean, Théoden?" Thengel asked. "Did you see your grandmama?"

Théoden nodded. "She said I was a... a com... commody."

"Do you mean ‘commodity’?" Thengel asked, frowning.

Théoden nodded. "She wasn’t very nice to me, Ada."

Thengel went to his son and hugged him, giving him a kiss, to which the boy did not this time object, and rubbed his back to comfort him. "I’m sorry to hear that, child. You said your grandmama isn’t in the camp?"

"No," Théoden replied. "Before they... they made me drink the poppy juice, I heard her say she was going to Edoras. She said something about... about securing the throne." He looked at his father in confusion. "Why does grandmama have to secure the throne, Ada? Don’t you have it?"

"Yes, Théoden, I do, but not in the way you think. Your grandmama does not understand, but we will teach her a lesson she won’t soon forget."

That last was said with such finality that Aragorn shivered in spite of himself. Thengel’s expression was grim and even Théoden’s expression was equally solemn. Looking at the boy, Aragorn had a sudden vision of an older Théoden leading the Rohirrim in battle with an equally grim expression. It seemed to be before the walls of a white city which Aragorn knew had to be Minas Tirith. The vision lasted only for a second, but he had no doubt that he was seeing the future. He gazed thoughtfully at the child, seeing the man he would become.

Then Théoden was a boy once again, holding out the now empty bowl. "Eggs and toast, please," he said with an impish grin and the men all laughed as Aragorn took the proffered bowl with a nod.

****

Well before midnight they were ready, but before Thengel sent the éored out, he issued one more order to Aragorn. The Dúnadan had been arming himself, borrowing mail from Erkenbard, when Thengel summoned him. The king was in his study and Théoden was with him. The boy was warmly dressed in a wool cloak lined with marten fur, a rucksack on his back.

"You sent for me, my lord?" Aragorn asked as he entered.

Thengel nodded. "Yes, Thorongil. I would ask you a favor, one I’m sure you will not like." He gave the younger man a wry smile.

"What favor, lord?"

Thengel motioned to Théoden, who came to his father. The king turned to Aragorn. "I would ask that you take Théoden to Dunharrow."

Aragorn stood perfectly still, his expression neutral. "You do not wish for me to fight by your side, lord?" He thought he succeeded in keeping the sense of disappointment out of his voice but he wasn’t sure.

Thengel shook his head, looking sympathetic. "I would like nothing better, but I do not trust my son with anyone but you. There is treachery among my people and it grieves me that I must place the safety of my son and heir in the hands of a stranger. Thus, I do not command, only ask."

Aragorn raised a hand. "Fear not, Thengel King. I am honored by your trust in me and will do all in my power to assure Théoden arrives safely in Dunharrow." He gave Thengel a shrewd look. "That is why you would not permit me to go to Grimbold and Wídfara."

Thengel nodded. "Grimbold you must send back to me along with Erkenbard’s messenger. When I am finished here I will meet you at Dunharrow."

Aragorn nodded and Thengel leaned over and gave Théoden a hug and a kiss on the head. The boy offered no protest and Aragorn suspected that Thengel had already spoken with his heir.

"Come, my prince," Aragorn said, "and I will show you the secret of Aldburg." He offered his hand and the boy took it. Thengel nodded at Aragorn in approval.

"Dunharrow," he said.

"Dunharrow," Aragorn echoed with a single nod of his head. Then he and Théoden left the king behind to plan the lifting of the siege.

****

Aragorn led Théoden along the secret passage, hiding a smile at the boy’s wide-eyed expression. He stopped before the carved door, lifting Théoden up to let him see the writing. Théoden ran his hands over the carving.

"This is Quenya?" he asked as he traced the tengwar.

"Yes. The language of the Noldor and the language of Aman," Aragorn replied as he set the boy down.

"Could I learn it?" Théoden asked as he looked over the rest of the carvings.

Aragorn shrugged. "Perhaps, though there are few who speak it even among the Elves."

"Do you speak it?" Théoden then asked.

"After a fashion," Aragorn said with a smile.

Théoden gave him a shy look. "Would... would you teach me?"

Aragorn smiled down at the boy. "Yes, I will teach you and here is your first lesson." He pointed to the first and fourth words on the first line of text. "In Quenya plurals are formed by adding an ‘r’ at the end of words ending in a tehta, or by adding ‘i’ to words ending in a tengwa. So cirya ‘a ship’, but ciryar ‘ships’. The same with aran ‘a king’, but arani ‘kings’...."

He pointed to the other Quenya words, giving the singular and asking Théoden for the plural forms, which he did without making a mistake.

"Very good, my prince," Aragorn said encouragingly. "Now, why don’t we continue our lesson outside? We must be far from Aldburg before the fighting begins. Perhaps you would like to open the door?"

Théoden nodded and with a little help from Aragorn managed to depress the various carvings and watched in wide-eyed wonder as the door silently opened. They stepped through to find two guards. Aragorn identified himself and Théoden and the guards gave their prince a salute. Théoden suddenly looked doubtful and gazed back down the passage.

"I... I don’t want to leave Ada," he said in Sindarin.

Aragorn knelt to be more at eye level with the boy. "Nor do I," he said, speaking Sindarin as well. "But your ada will fight the better knowing you are safe. You would not want him to be worried for you and not fight as well as he should, would you?"

Théoden shook his head, still looking doubtful. Making a quick decision, Aragorn stood. "I know a place where we can watch the battle in safety. If we leave now we’ll be in a good position to see it begin, though we must not linger there long. Your ada wishes you safely in Dunharrow and I have pledged to see you there as quickly as possible. Would you like that?"

Théoden nodded, smiling shyly, and took Aragorn’s proffered hand. Aragorn then led him south and west before eventually heading northwest, cautioning the boy as to where to walk, for Théoden’s eyes were not as night-sharp as the Dúnadan’s. Going as slowly as they did, it was nearly three hours before Aragorn called a halt. They were now in the copse of firs and oaks, from which, Aragorn knew, they would be able to see the gates of Aldburg. Also, it would be easy enough to slip away unseen. Aragorn intended for them to stay just long enough for Théoden to see his father lead the charge before they must away.

Théoden was reeling with fatigue by then. Aragorn undid his cloak and placed it on the ground under a towering oak. Then he encouraged Théoden to lie down and sleep. "I will wake you before the battle begins," he told the boy and in minutes Théoden was fast asleep while Aragorn took the watch.

****

An hour before dawn, Aragorn gently woke Théoden and led the still sleepy boy to a certain oak tree on the edge of the copse that would give them the best vantage point. He boosted the boy up onto one of the lower branches, then climbed nimbly up beside him, pointing eastwards where the sky was beginning to lighten.

"We will stay long enough to see the sortie, but we must not linger," Aragorn told Théoden. "I must have your promise, my prince, that when I give you an order you will obey without question. Both our lives might well depend on it."

"I promise, Thorongil," Théoden stated simply and he stared out across the vale towards Aldburg. The sky had lightened enough that Aragorn could now see what neither the besieging army nor Théoden could yet see — a third of Thengel’s éored placing themselves in position, awaiting the signal to battle. Aragorn felt the youngster sitting beside him tense in anticipation and put a calming hand on the boy’s shoulder.

Then, just as the sun breached the horizon, horns blew, wild and defiant, from within the city. The warriors of the éored gave a great shout and advanced upon the enemy’s flank, just as the gates of Aldburg opened and Thengel rode out upon his great bay, his sword out. Beside him, Aragorn could see Erkenbard guarding his shield side. Théoden gasped as he saw his father ride out and in a single stroke take the head of one of the sentries standing near the gates.

"Ada! Ada!" the boy shouted and then promptly leaned over and was sick. Aragorn grabbed him in time to prevent him from falling out of the tree. When the spasms ended, Aragorn pulled Theóden closer to him and silently handed him a water bottle. Théoden took it gratefully, rinsing his mouth of vomit before taking a long swig. He refused to look at the battle still raging before the gates of the city.

"Time to leave, my prince," Aragorn said gently and Theóden nodded meekly, allowing Aragorn to help him down to the ground. He was subdued and Aragorn could see the lad was burning with shame. Without a word he took the boy’s hand and led him deeper into the copse before stopping, taking a seat on a fallen log and gesturing for Théoden to join him. When the boy was seated Aragorn began to speak.

"I was fifteen when I was allowed to go on my first patrol," he said softly. "I was so excited and would not listen to my brothers’ warnings that battles were ugly affairs. All I could see was the glory of fighting." He paused to let his words sink in before continuing. "We encountered a band of orcs during our patrol. I was never so scared and excited in my life and the first time my sword killed one of the orcs..." He sighed, and gave Théoden a rueful look. "I was sick for days afterwards. My brothers were ready to send me back home when we encountered a second band of orcs. This time I was only sick once."

"It got better?" Théoden asked in a small voice.

"No, child," Aragorn answered, wrapping an arm around Théoden’s shoulders and giving him a hug. "I was merely able to control my nausea better. Even now I take no pleasure in taking a life, even that of an orc. I suspect that your ada feels the same way, especially if that life is that of a fellow countryman. You need not feel any shame, Théoden. When next you see your ada why don’t you ask him about his first battle?"

Théoden nodded and gave Aragorn a watery smile.

"Come then," Aragorn said with a smile of his own, and stood. "Let us away. Your ada will look for us at Dunharrow. It would not do to arrive after him."

Théoden giggled and soon they left the copse, making their way along the western eaves of the forest-covered mountains. It took them a couple of hours to reach the place where Aragorn had left Grimbold and Wídfara. When the younger Rider saw them approach, he gave a glad cry and soon Aragorn and Théoden were surrounded by three who were starving for news. Sitting around the fire enjoying some stew, Aragorn related all that had happened.

"By now the siege will have been lifted," he told them. "Thengel King has charged me and Wídfara to seeing Théoden safely to Dunharrow, but you, Grimbold, and Hereward are to return to the city."

Grimbold nodded and Hereward, the scout Erkenbard had sent as a messenger, grinned ferally.

"Then we will depart at once," Grimbold said.

"As will we," replied Aragorn with a nod.

In minutes the place was deserted, with no sign that anyone had ever camped in the small dale.

****

Théoden took turns riding, first with Aragorn and then with Wídfara. Aragorn had decided to make the journey in two stages, for the lad was exhausted and indeed fell promptly asleep in Aragorn’s arms once they started. They rode until noon, stopping for a brief time to eat and rest the horses. They continued at an easy pace with Théoden now riding with Wídfara. The young boy was still somewhat subdued but he answered Wídfara’s questions about his kidnapping readily enough.

"I never knew the man’s name," Théoden said to them, "the one who took me from Edoras. He claimed to be a friend of nana’s and he did have the same dark hair and grey eyes that nana has, but..."

"What is it, Théoden?" Aragorn asked. "What troubles you?"

Théoden gave Aragorn a stricken look. "They killed him."

"They?"

Théoden nodded. "We were on the road to Mund... I mean Minas Tirith and men in armor came upon us and they killed him. He tried to protect me, but... I never knew his name...." He was weeping now and Wídfara gathered him into his embrace, murmuring something in the boy’s ear.

"The men who attacked..." Aragorn asked after a moment, waiting for Théoden to collect himself, "they brought you to Aldburg?"

Théoden nodded, scrubbing his face on the sleeve of his tunic. "When I saw grandmama, I was happy, but then...."

"It’s all right, Théoden. I know what happened after that and why. Do not become overwrought. All is well now. Tomorrow we will be in Dunharrow and you will see your nana again."

Théoden nodded and sighed. "I wish I knew his name, though," he said forlornly and both Aragorn and Wídfara grieved for the child whose innocence had been stolen by acts of brutality and they grieved also for the unknown man who had tried to protect Thengel’s heir.

****

They camped that night before the entrance of the defile that would lead them to Harrowdale, starting early the next morning. No new snow had fallen since they had last come this way so the going was relatively easy. They came out upon Harrowdale by midafternoon and sunset saw them making their way up the Hold Stairs. Sentries at the top allowed them to pass on once Aragorn identified himself.

Soon they entered the courtyard of the keep to find Morwen waiting for them. Théoden scrambled off his perch on Mithfaron and ran into Morwen’s arms, weeping. No one seemed to mind and several of the battle-hardened warriors standing about were seen to wipe their eyes at the sight of mother and son being reunited. Aragorn and Wídfara exchanged bittersweet smiles as they watched the scene before them. Théoden was safe, but Thengel’s fate was still unknown.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List