Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Vault of Annúminas  by shirebound

THE VAULT OF ANNÚMINAS

This chapter references “Quarantined” chapters 11 and 17, “Reflections of the Past” chapter 5, “Force of Nature” chapters 1 and 3, and “Estel’s Birthday” chapters 5 and 7.

Many thanks to my Livejournal friends for advice regarding horses and riding distances.


Chapter 3:  An Enduring Hope

Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Lúthien had come on earth again.  ‘Many Meetings’,  The Fellowship of the Ring


When Bilbo’s voice began to grow hoarse from talking and laughing, Frodo pleaded with him to go straight back to bed.  Bilbo’s grumbles were good-natured ones, as he well knew he wasn’t yet fully recovered.  He was pleased when, as Frodo and Aragorn began to clear the table, Elladan volunteered to sit with him for awhile, sharing tales of Rivendell and lands beyond the mountains.

When Elladan joined Aragorn and Frodo in the parlor, he was smiling.

“Bilbo is settled very comfortably with his books, and that pot of honeyed tea you brought in,” he told Frodo.

“Visiting with Bilbo was a most strategic move, Elladan,” Aragorn said, winking at Frodo.  “You never did enjoy doing the dishes.”

“Nonsense,” Elladan protested.  “Bilbo is most delightful; I well understand now why my father remembers him so fondly.”  He pulled one of the big chairs over to the table where Aragorn and Frodo were sitting.

“Bilbo speaks of Rivendell often,” Frodo told him.  “He says he’d like to return someday.”

“We would welcome him.”  Elladan peered down at the map Frodo had spread out on the table.  “This shows great skill.”

“Bilbo draws wonderful maps,” Frodo said proudly.  With a finger, he traced the distance from Hobbiton to the northern border of the Shire.  “It looks to be 80 or 90 miles, Estel.”

“That is a very good guess,” Aragorn nodded.  “Annúminas is – or was – at the southeastern corner of Lake Evendim, just outside the boundary of your map.  It should take us four or five days to reach it, depending on the fitness of your pony.”

“Pony?” Frodo said in dismay.  “But I thought I’d be riding with you, on Ollie.”

“Ollie?” Elladan asked curiously.

“I mean Arthad,” Frodo explained.  “Sam started calling him ‘Ollie’, and I’ve grown accustomed to that name.”

“So have I, on occasion,” Aragorn chuckled.  “Frodo, you will be much more comfortable on a mount of your own.  Arthad’s saddle and stirrups were hardly made with hobbits in mind.”

“That’s true,” Frodo admitted, “but it will be so much more difficult to talk together as we ride.  I’ll be much lower to the ground than the two of you.”

“We have no trouble conversing when we walk together,” Aragorn reminded him.  “Do we?”

“No,” Frodo said with a sigh.  It would have been so glorious to ride across the Shire on a Ranger’s horse, so high up in the air.  “But won’t a pony’s shorter legs slow you down dreadfully?”

“We are in no rush,” Elladan assured the boy.  “Do you have much riding experience?”

“I've learned to ride quite well,” Frodo said enthusiastically.  “Bilbo boards several saddle ponies at the Cotton farm in Bywater; they’re beauties.”

“Perfect,” Aragorn nodded.

“I wish Sam could come with us,” Frodo said wistfully.  “Traveling with a Ranger and an Elf would make him so happy.  But the harvesting is in full swing, and I know what the Gaffer would say.”  He looked thoughtful.  “Might we take Scamp?  Remember how she found the carvings in the cellar, and then Halbarad, and all the sand that had turned to glass?”

“Sand turned to glass?” Elladan asked, startled.  “I found something like that myself, once.”

“I know,” Frodo said.  “Estel told us about it.”  He brought the bowl containing the shards of ‘star glass’ over to Elladan.  “Could we take Scamp?” he asked Aragorn again.

“I agree that Scamp might be quite useful in our search, but she couldn’t possibly keep up, no matter how slowly we rode,” Aragorn told the boy.  “Someone would have to hold onto her, or carry her in a bag.”

“She wouldn’t like that,” Frodo sighed.

“There might be a way,” Elladan said thoughtfully, holding one of the translucent pieces up to the light.  “Bilbo mentioned how restful the singing of Elves can be.”

“Yes,” Frodo said hopefully.

“I believe I can keep your pup comfortable during our journey, if you can provide a cloth to use as a sling for her to lie within.”

“That would be wonderful,” Frodo beamed.  “We even have treats for her that travel well.  We buy biscuits that Farmer Cotton makes for his dogs, made of dried meat, a bit of fat, and mashed fruit.  I’ve tasted them myself, and they’re not bad.”

“They will certainly come in handy for Scamp,” Aragorn smiled.  “As for the rest of us--”

“Oh, the North Farthing has wonderful inns,” Frodo enthused.  “And all the orchards are just bursting with fruit.”  He looked at Aragorn, his eyes sparkling.  “When do we leave?”

“Could we pick up your pony this evening?  If so, we can leave in the morning.”

“I’m sure that would be fine.  I need to tell the Gamgees I’ll be gone; I’d want someone to look in on Bilbo every day.”  Frodo started planning.  “Estel, why don’t you show Elladan the carvings while I dig out my pack, and find one of our fish poles, and--”

Aragorn laughed.  “Frodo, you will not need to bring much.  Roll up a change of clothing, and a cloak or jacket, in several blankets.  Bring a water bowl and those treats for Scamp, and any personal items you might wish to have with you.  There are fish poles at the lake, in a shelter kept there by the Rangers.”

“A cloak or jacket?” Frodo frowned.  “It’s summer!”

“Take another look at this map,” Aragorn said.  “We will be riding quite a distance north, and there is usually a cool breeze from the lake, even at mid-summer.  The lake is as cold as the pond from which you and Bilbo saved me.”

“Will we be going far enough to see the ice fields?” Frodo asked eagerly.

“Not that far,” Elladan smiled.  He turned to Aragorn.  “What are these carvings you wish to show me?”  His smile dissolved at his foster-brother’s serious expression.

“You have lived many years, Elladan,” Aragorn said gravely, “but you are about to gaze upon something you will not long forget.”  He got to his feet.  “I will show you the way, then leave you alone.  I needed some time to myself, the first time I saw them, and I believe you will, as well.”

*~*~*~*~*

It was several hours before Elladan emerged from the cavern behind Bag End’s ice cellar.  He found Frodo in the kitchen feeding Scamp, and making preparations for what the boy called ‘elevenses’.

“What do you think of the carvings?” Frodo asked.  “Estel and Arminas say they’re folks from the First Age, named Lúthien and Beren.”

“I agree,” Elladan replied.  He was clearly shaken, and very thoughtful.  “Thank you for allowing me to see them, Frodo.  Where is Estel?”

“Down in the field, seeing to the horses,” Frodo said, slicing some cheese.  “Did he show you your room?  I hope you’re comfortable there tonight.”

“You and Bilbo are most gracious hosts,” Elladan assured the boy.  “I was surprised to see such large beds in your home.”

Frodo smiled.  “Bilbo has friends from everywhere.  Gandalf visits when he can, and Estel has brought folks with him, like Halbarad and Arminas.  We haven’t had any Dwarves visit since I’ve lived here, but I’ve learned to expect the unexpected.”

Elladan frowned slightly at the mention of Durin’s race, but said nothing.

“Here, take some of this with you,” Frodo said, handing the Elf a cloth filled with cheese and bread.  “I can tell that you want to speak with Estel.”

“Thank you, young one,” Elladan smiled.  “You are most perceptive.”

Frodo smiled.  “Estel calls me ‘little one’.”

“Forgive me, Frodo.  I will refrain from--”

“No, it’s all right,” Frodo assured him.  “I don’t mind.  What truly counts is what a person is on the inside, not the outside.  Estel taught me that.”

“You are most wise,” Elladan smiled back, wrapping up the food.  “I thank you for this, Frodo, and will see you later.”

Elladan walked down to the large field where Aragorn stood with the horses, who were drinking from basins filled with water.

“Frodo sent these,” Elladan said, opening the cloth and sharing out portions of bread and cheese.  “The hospitality of Bag End rivals that of my father’s house.”  He looked around.  “Did you bring all this water down the hill?  I would have assisted you.”

“I discovered Sam and his brothers already doing so,” Aragorn said.  “Sam has a keen love and regard for all living things.  Arthad is always very pleased to be among hobbits.”

“As are you, I see.”  Elladan stood for a moment with Romaryn, murmuring to him in Elvish, before turning once again to Aragorn.

“When I learned that you and my sister were in love, I felt... confused, and angry.”  Aragorn started to speak, but Elladan stopped him.  “Those carvings, Aragorn... hearing the tales is one thing, but seeing the images is something quite different.  The love that Lúthien and Beren felt for one another, and what they endured...” He sighed.  “I truly hope that you and Arwen find happiness.  It is my wish that someday there will be monuments to your love as stirring as the one that lies hidden here, in the Shire.”

“Thank you, Elladan,” Aragorn said quietly.  He clasped his foster brother’s arm.  “It means a great deal to hear you say that.”

“Frodo looks quite weary,” Elladan said after a few moments.  “Halflings have not been my study, but it does not take a healer to see that, despite his enthusiasm about your visit and what you propose, he is on the edge of exhaustion from caring for his uncle.”

“I know,” Aragorn agreed.  “I am certain that is why Bilbo is entrusting him to us.  Come, let us see if we can convince Frodo to rest today.  We start our journey in the morning.”

“You believe we will discover something, don’t you?” Elladan asked curiously.

“Yes, I do,” Aragorn said thoughtfully.  “Elendil believed he would return to the north after helping vanquish Sauron.  Why would he not leave many things behind, and why would his people necessarily know about all of them?”

”You are putting your hope in a boy’s rather vague dream, and his pup’s ability to find things where others cannot.”

“Trust me, Elladan,” Aragorn said, “that hope has never yet been misplaced.  Frodo is quite a remarkable person.  But whatever happens, I might learn something new about my forefather.”

“Perhaps I have more to learn, as well,” Elladan said softly.  “I am glad our paths crossed near Bree.”  He regarded Aragorn thoughtfully.  “You are different amongst the halflings… more spirited, and less tense.  You seem... younger here.”

“Perhaps, after a few days in Frodo’s company,” Aragorn smiled, “you will feel the same.”

** TBC **

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List