Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Vault of Annúminas  by shirebound

THE VAULT OF ANNÚMINAS

This chapter references “Quarantined” chapters 5, 13, and 15, “Estel’s Birthday” chapters 3, 4, and 6, and “When the King Comes Back” chapter 1.


Chapter 4:  The Hospitality of Hobbits

To the end of his days Bilbo could never remember how he found himself outside, without a hat, a walking-stick or any money, or anything that he usually took when he went out.  ‘Roast Mutton’, The Hobbit


“What kind of host would I be, napping away your visit?” Frodo protested.

“You are an excellent host,” Aragorn told him, “but you are also a tween who has gone too long with too little sleep.  Besides, we will be together for the next two weeks – plenty of time for talking and visiting, don’t you think?”

“But Bilbo might need...”

Aragorn smiled to himself.  At over 100 years of age, Bilbo seemed a most practical hobbit who could certainly care for himself.  It was obvious, however, that Frodo was unused to seeing his uncle ill, and was quite concerned about him; no doubt, he always would be.

“I will see to anything he requires,” Aragorn assured the boy.

“All right,” Frodo said reluctantly.  “Thank you.  I’ll go down and talk with the Gamgees after my nap.  My short nap.”  He took himself off to his room.  Folding his shirt and breeches over a chair, Frodo climbed into bed with a sigh.  He hadn’t truly rested well since Bilbo became ill, and it really was lovely to finally relax... just for an hour or so...

To no one’s surprise (save his own) Frodo slept the afternoon away, waking only when his stomach informed him, most insistently, that it was well past luncheon.  It was, in fact, nearly suppertime, the sun beginning to sink in a golden twilight.  Frodo dressed, then washed his face and hastily ran his fingers through his curls.  He peeked into Bilbo’s room to find it empty, then discovered his uncle, Scamp, and Aragorn in the kitchen.  Aragorn was stirring a pot of stew bubbling deliciously on the stove, and Bilbo was sitting at the table, slicing bread.

“I didn’t mean to sleep so long, Bilbo,” Frodo said apologetically.

“I’m very glad you did, my boy,” Bilbo told him.  “You needed it.”

“Where’s Elladan?”

“He wished to see the spot where the sand turned to glass,” Aragorn told him.  “It’s a walk of only a few miles, as you know.”

“I’ll go talk with the Gamgees, and then return to help with supper,” Frodo said.  “Bilbo, how are you feeling?”

“Better and better,” Bilbo smiled.  “I’ll be just fine, dear lad.  Don’t worry about a thing.”

Frodo smiled back; Bilbo did look and sound markedly better.  Perhaps there was some magic to Aragorn after all, as the old hobbit was fond of saying.

Frodo walked down to Bagshot Row with Scamp, and was welcomed into Number Three.  The Gamgee family was quite astonished to learn that the young master was leaving the next day with the Ranger and Elf – journeying to a place outside the Shire -- but they assured him they would be more than pleased to look after Bilbo, and anything else that needed doing.  Frodo thanked them profusely, but couldn’t help noticing that one member of the family was unusually quiet.

“Sam, would you see us out?” Frodo asked.  He called Scamp over from where she had been playing ‘chase me around the parlor’ with Patch and Blossom.

“Sam,” Frodo said softly, once they were outside.  “I truly wish you could come with us.”

Sam sighed.  “I wish so too, Mr. Frodo.  But there’s so much to do in the summer.”

“I know,” Frodo nodded.  “That’s why I didn’t even ask your parents.”

“Besides,” Sam said firmly, “you’re trustin’ us with Mr. Bilbo, and you’ll not regret it.”

“I know that, with all my heart,” Frodo said, smiling at his friend.

“Will you be leavin’ Scamp with us, or can Mr. Bilbo look after her himself?” Sam asked.

“Neither; Estel says we can take her with us.”

“On a horse?” Sam gasped.  “With all that jouncin’ around?”

“I’m not sure what Elladan has in mind, but he says he can keep her calm and comfortable,” Frodo said.  “I just need to find a cloth sling or bag for her to lie in.”

“Mr. Frodo,” Sam said with a grin, “I think we have just the thing for you, if Ma will part with it for a few weeks.  She should, seein’ as how well she thinks of you, and that it’s not bein’ used currently, and all.”

“What do you mean?” Frodo asked.

“Wait here.”  Sam raced back into Number Three.  It wasn’t two minutes later that he emerged, all smiles, with something in his hands.

“Sam,” Frodo chuckled, “that should be absolutely perfect.  Thank you.”

*~*~*~*~*

After supper, Aragorn lifted Frodo up onto Arthad, and they rode down to the Cotton farm to retrieve one of Bilbo’s ponies.  Biscuit, Frodo’s favorite, was a ‘beauty’ indeed, the color of honey with white mane and tail.  He stood taller than many Shire ponies, but was a good match for Frodo, who was likewise rather tall for a hobbit tween.  It was obvious that the pony was well cared for, and delighted to see Frodo.  Aragorn was pleased to see how expertly Frodo saddled his mount, and the ease with which the boy rode.  Riding together back across The Water, they tethered Biscuit in the lush field with Romaryn and Arthad -- who whickered gently and reassuringly to their small cousin.

“You’re much more at ease among animals now than when we first met,” Aragorn teased gently, as he and Frodo walked up the lane to Bag End.

“I’m not a child anymore,” Frodo said, his voice a mixture of confidence and hope.

“Indeed, you are not,” Aragorn said.  “I doubt Bilbo would have given permission for you to accompany us on this journey had you not demonstrated to him that you have grown into a responsible lad.  You have gained his respect, and his trust.  And mine,” he added softly.

“Thank you,” Frodo whispered, joy filling his heart.  To know that those he most valued saw something of worth in him... there were few things that could make him any happier.

“Have you been to where we’re going – to Annúminas?” Frodo asked.

“Yes,” Aragorn said, “but never for very long.  Remember when you and Bilbo met me at Bindbale Wood for our camping trip?  I last visited the ruins around that time.”

“Has Elladan been there?”

“Only a few times, long ago,” Aragorn said.  “Much has changed over the millenia.”

“Millenia?” Frodo gasped.  “How old is he?”

“He and his brother were born soon after the beginning of this Age,” Aragorn replied.

“That’s almost three thousand years ago!” Frodo marveled.  “I wonder if that’s one of the reasons Bilbo so enjoys being amongst Elves... perhaps they make him feel younger.”

“Perhaps they do,” Aragorn agreed.

*~*~*~*~*

It was full nightfall before Elladan returned to Bag End, and Frodo hurriedly brought a plate of warmed stew and bread to the dining room.  He also poured Elladan some of Bilbo’s best wine, which the Elf accepted with delight.

“Did you find the place?” Aragorn asked, taking a seat.

“I did,” Elladan said with a smile.  “The ducks are even more numerous than Frodo described; they are a most contented family.”  He pulled a shard of translucent material from a pouch at his waist, and placed it on the table.  “I found one piece that your pup overlooked.  This material is quite rare.”

“It’s fascinating, isn’t it?” Frodo asked.  “Estel told us that Elves call the star showers ‘Nienna’s tears’.”

“Yes,” Elladan said softly.  “The Valar remind us of their presence in many ways – in the music of the waters, the life swelling in trees, and the radiance of the stars.  Time passes slowly, and yet it does pass; Arda is ever in motion.  Water overflows its banks to form new lakes, trees grow to maturity and fall to make room for new saplings... why might an ancient fragment of star not tumble to the earth once in a while?”  He smiled at the hobbit.  “I saw several packs by the door.  What are you bringing?”

“Not much,” Frodo assured him.  “I have two blankets and an oilcloth, some spare clothing, tooth powder, brushes, a towel, pocket-handkerchiefs, some coins, my pocket-knife, a cup and some bowls... and a few other things.  We’ll pack bread, cheese, meat, and some sweets in the morning, and the travel biscuits for Scamp.  I have a water bottle too, as we’ll be passing so many streams and brooks.”  Frodo grinned suddenly.  “Let me show you what else I have for Scamp.  Sam thought of it.”  He ran to the small pile of gear in the front hall, and returned with the cloth Sam had handed him.

“Is that...” Aragorn couldn’t help smiling.

“This will serve quite well, Frodo,” Elladan approved.

“I thought so,” Frodo said.  “Sam’s very clever, isn’t he?  Mothers carry their babes in padded slings like these.  See where the straps can wrap around and tie?  Scamp can rest in here, against your chest – or mine – snug as can be, and hardly bounce around at all.”  He yawned suddenly.  “I’d best get to bed, after I check on Bilbo once more.”

“Good night,” Aragorn said.

“Good night,” Frodo said.  “I hope you’re comfortable tonight, Elladan.  Bilbo’s told me about Rivendell, so I know Bag End isn’t what you’re used to.”

“Frodo,” Elladan said, “Bag End is a most comfortable home, and you should not doubt your hospitality.  Thank you for allowing me to stay.”

“I’m so happy to hear you say that,” Frodo beamed.

“Sleep well, little one,” Aragorn smiled at him.  “We will see you in the morning.”

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List