Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Vault of Annúminas  by shirebound

THE VAULT OF ANNÚMINAS

This chapter references “Quarantined” chapter 5, and “When the King Comes Back” chapter 2.


Chapter 6:  A Glimpse of Distant Lands

But her brothers, Elladan and Elrohir, were out upon errantry: for they rode often far afield with the Rangers of the North, forgetting never their mother's torment in the dens of the orcs.  ‘Many Meetings’, The Fellowship of the Ring


Ted Burrows, proprietor of The Stonebrook Inn, surveyed with interest the two people who had just come in the front door.  Interest, and a sense of wonder.  Rangers, now, they turned up now and again, seeking a night’s lodging or a meal.  They were quiet guests, always paid their bill, and caused no harm.  Why, one had come through just a few months’ back, staying one night and moving on.  But an Elf, now, here was a rare sight.  Lamps had been lit in the common room, and the hearth crackled with bright flame, but he would swear this Elf carried his own light with him, a strange radiance that you could almost see if you didn’t quite look at him...

“Mr. Burrows!” a voice rang out.  “Do you remember me, sir?”

Ted dragged his eyes away from the Elf, tall and fair, and realized that a young hobbit had entered with the other two.  The tween was certainly familiar, having travelled up from Hobbiton now and again with Bilbo Baggins, but the boy’s presence with these folk made him frown in sudden alarm.  He came forward and drew the boy aside.

“I’m surprised to see you in such company, Frodo,” Ted said softly.  “Is everything all right?  They didn’t snatch you away from your home, did they?”

Frodo laughed, a clear sound free of any fear or distress.

“Everything’s fine, sir.  I’m just on a little journey with my friends.  Their names are Estel and Elladan.”

“Well, if you say so,” Ted said slowly.  “You keep interesting company, lad, and no mistake.”  He bowed slightly to the Ranger and Elf, then looked at his new guests more closely.  All three were covered in road dust.  “You’ll be wanting rooms, then, and a bath?  And we’ve some lovely beef roasting.”

“Oh, that sounds wonderful,” Frodo sighed.  For all his longing to sleep under the stars, he had  been quick to agree with Aragorn’s suggestion that they take advantage of an inn’s hospitality for this first night.  Frodo hadn’t realized how sore and tired he would be after a full day in the saddle.

“Is it all right if my dog stays with us?” Frodo asked anxiously.  Scamp was wandering happily around the large room, sniffing all the new smells.  Unlike Frodo, she was full of energy and well rested.

“Of course,” Ted said with a smile.  He had never seen such a tiny pup in all his life. He showed them to the largest guest suite, and called for hot water to be brought.  When the hobbit, Elf, and Ranger reappeared sometime later, washed and ready for supper, the common room, nearly empty before, was full to bursting with curious hobbits.

Ted was bustling happily about, helping serve the unaccustomed crowd.  A few bachelor farmers or laborers usually took their supper here, but the inn rarely drew such a crowd except at Yule, or during festival time.  Rangers were usually met with either disinterest or mild suspicion, but word had spread far and wide about an Elf in the North Farthing... and few who got word would consider missing such an event.

Ted hovered in the background, waiting until the three were finished eating.  Scamp, having eaten her fill from a bowl of savory scraps, was lying under the table at Frodo’s feet.  The Ranger sat back, drawing out his pipe and pouch.

“Sir,” Ted ventured, addressing Elladan, “we’ve heard much about Elves, sir, and their singing.  Would you be willing to honor us with a melody?  If it’s no trouble, that is.”  He looked anxious, not knowing if his question would offend.  But his neighbors – and good wife – would never forgive him had he not asked, and he knew it right well.

“It is far from trouble,” Elladan said softly, his speaking voice alone enough to make the serving maid sigh.  He gazed into the hearthfire, and began a quiet song.  The words were simple, a song Aragorn recognized from his childhood -- praising food and drink, earth and sky, and Arda in its bounty.

Frodo sat transfixed, as spellbound as the rest.  Elladan’s voice was unlike anything he had heard before – almost as if more than one melody was coming from his throat, the notes liquid as a waterfall, as bright as the stars.  He could almost see what Elladan was singing...

Elladan finished, and the hobbits, eyes a bit glazed, slowly realized that they were still in the Shire and not wandering a land full of colors for which their vocabulary knew no words.  The song had been in a language they didn’t know, but there was no question in anyone’s mind what the Elf had been singing about.  They would never forget this, never in their whole lives.

“Thank you,” Ted said, bowing low. “We’ve never heard the like.”

“It is my pleasure,” Elladan said.  “And now, perhaps your folk will share a tune as well?”

Ted beamed with pleasure, and called for a song from one of his neighbors -- a worthy farmer with a good voice -- and the room soon rang with familiar tunes, and the clapping and laughter of hobbits.

Frodo excused himself to visit the privy, and when he returned, he spoke to the innkeeper privately before returning to the table.

“Mr. Burrows,” Frodo said earnestly, “please let me know what you charge for a night’s stay, and our supper and breakfast.  I have enough coins to--”

“No need, lad,” Ted smiled.  “Your Ranger friend asked me the same thing while you were gone, and the same answer I’ll tell you.  A night like this is worth more than coin, and you won’t be spending any of yours here.  And if you stop by on the way back from your journeying, you’ll not pay then, either.”  He clapped the boy on the shoulder.  “Mr. Bilbo Baggins has himself a fine, responsible lad, and I’ll tell him that myself, next time I see him.”  He left Frodo standing there, glowing with the unexpected praise.

*~*~*~*~*

The North Farthing was a place of ordered beauty, with its uncrowded orchards, farms, herds of livestock, and patches of wild forest.  Well-tended fields were watered from the plentiful streams and irrigation ditches.  As they rode north, Frodo explained to Aragorn and Elladan that, by Shire custom, any fruit fallen from trees, or growing on branches that drooped over the road, were free for anyone to enjoy.  This way, the three friends supplemented their travel food with delicious peaches and apricots, plums and cherries, and berries growing wild.

By the second day’s travel, Scamp was already growing used to the routine. She would ride for a while curled in Aragorn’s arm, knowing there would be frequent stops for running about and investigating the holes of ground squirrels and rabbits. She was thriving on the travel biscuits and other treats Frodo had brought and, although there was plenty of water available, greatly enjoyed the occasional bowls of milk procured from the farms they passed. After a few hours’ riding, Scamp would grow restive, and allow herself to be placed in the comfortable sling. At first Elladan alone wore it, but eventually Frodo and Aragorn were also able to take turns, as Scamp began to equate the sling with sleep, and no longer needed a song in order to settle down for naps.

They made camp on the second night in a sheltered grove near the small town of Oatbarton, the evening air warm and clear.

“We have traveled a good distance in two days,” Aragorn said as the three friends laid out their bedrolls under an oak tree.  “You have a fine mount, Frodo.”

“I agree,” Elladan said.  He had been whispering quietly to the tree, and now leaned back against it comfortably.  “Biscuit is enjoying the journey very much.”

“Can you really tell?” Frodo asked, delighted.  He opened a wrapped package, and handed out the beef sandwiches and little cakes that Mrs. Burrows had given them that morning for their supper.

“Without doubt,” Elladan assured the boy, who smiled happily.

“What did you say to the tree?” Frodo asked.

“We sleep this night at its feet, and our voices disturb the quiet life to which it is accustomed,” Elladan explained.  “I asked for permission for us to do so, and assured it we would not tarry beyond the morning.”

“Did it understand you?” Frodo asked, wide eyed.

“It is young, but aware,” Elladan said, laying a gentle hand on the bark.

Frodo applied himself to the delicious food, but the thought of the innkeeper and his wife brought another question to his mind.  He still knew so little about Rangers, and was burning with curiosity.

“Estel, if you don’t mind my asking, where... where do you get your money? Mr. Burrows said you offered to pay for our lodging and meals. Do you get paid for Rangering?”

Aragorn could see that talking about money embarrassed Frodo, and so hesitated for only a moment before answering..

“For many generations,” he explained, “Lord Elrond of Rivendell has seen to it that the needs are met for Men who dwell in the north, and their families.”

“Why?”

“My father supports those who maintain peace and security in the north,” Elladan said softly.  “The Rangers do much to maintain such, and they should not be in want.”

“I agree,” Frodo said.  “I’m so glad to hear that, Estel.  Bilbo and I worry about you.”  He yawned suddenly.

“Thank you, little one,” Aragorn smiled.  “Do you have any other questions before you sleep?”

Frodo looked at Elladan; he now felt at ease around him, and realized that there was something he had wanted to ask since leaving Hobbiton.

“Elladan, do you sense some kind of danger?”

“Danger?” Elladan asked, puzzled at the boy’s question.  “The farms and orchards of your sweet Shire pose no threat.  Why do you ask that?”

“You keep looking around so... so suspiciously,” Frodo explained, “and you tend to ride behind Estel, not next to him.  You look like you’re expecting us to be attacked by something at any moment.”

“I am sorry, Frodo,” Elladan said quietly.  “Vigilance is not a habit I can easily set aside, but I assure you that I have seen nothing to cause alarm.”

“Is it so fearsome out there?” Frodo asked hesitantly.  “Outside the Shire, that is.”

“Frodo, there are perils and those of black heart everywhere in Middle-earth, but also many who have pledged their lives to the safety of others.  My brother Elrohir and I have spent many, many years hunting those who wish others ill.” He sought to speak simply, and in a way that would not frighten this lad.

“You’re like Rangers, then,” Frodo nodded.  “Gandalf told me that they protect weaker folk from harm, and keep the roads safe.”

“I suppose we are,” Elladan smiled at Aragorn.  “We ride often with the Rangers, and honor their cause.  It has become the custom among us that I ride slightly behind the Men, and Elrohir slightly ahead.”

“Do you miss your brother?” Frodo asked sleepily.

“He is right here, always,” Elladan said, laying a hand to his heart.  “And I have another in my life who is as a brother to me, sitting right next to you.”

Aragorn looked up to see Elladan’s eyes upon him, shining like stars.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List