Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Agape's Attempts  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 25 - Fey Were His Thoughts (movie verse) – A Tribble


The stairs are broken. I look to my right and my left; there is no escape but forward. The chasm is deep. The Elf has no trouble; neither does the wizard. Yet, the little ones will never make it. It is too far.

I scoop them into my arms. I jump, while thoughts of Faramir chide me. ‘You never think. Just act. Someday you will kill yourself with your foolish bravery. It is not bravery to die. To leave Gondor bereft of her favorite son. To leave me…’ Faramir never finished the sentence.

I, however, finish the jump. Aye, ‘twas difficult, perhaps foolhardy, but the Halflings would have no chance otherwise. I land in Legolas’ arms. His eyes shine with the fear of what I have done. I pat him on the back as I swallow my own heart, lodged in my throat.

How or why the Ringbearer is still on the wrong side, I do not know. I know only that he must be saved. Too late! The chasm widened by my jump! “No rope!” I hear Sam moan. I judge the distance. Aragorn, even alone, could not make such a jump; neither is there the possibility that he can toss Frodo that far.

So these hands have failed Gondor. The Ringbearer will carry the ring with him to the bottomless pit and Middle-earth will fall. Is that not what Gandalf said? And I have been the unwitting agent.

Another sundering crash; there is little left to the rock that holds the King of Gondor and the Hope of Middle-earth. Yet, has not Aragorn told me there is always hope! The rock sways. Surely, they will fall. Yet, the rock is falling towards us. I reach out my arms; these hands catch the little one and I am redeemed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List