Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Wars of the Valar  by Fiondil

Prologue: An Explanation

This story was inspired by a simple question: What was Námo doing before he became the Lord of Mandos? The Halls of Mandos were not built until the Valar removed themselves to Valinor after the destruction of Almaren and the Two Lamps. So, what was he doing before that? What were any of them doing before the Firstborn appeared in Arda, before Arda itself was even created? I decided to find out, and so this story was born.

In this story the Valar refer to themselves as Ayanumuz (singular: Ayanuz), since the word Valar was given to them by the Firstborn. We don't have the name by which the Maiar referred to themselves, so I have used the older form of the word, i.e. Máyar.

Because we do not have the Valarin names for all the Valar and Maiar, and for clarity's sake, I use the Quenya versions of their names.

Other words of Valarin (and Quenya) origin are defined at the end of each chapter. I use Quenya for emphasis since many words in Quenya are derived originally from Valarin anyway.

Technically speaking, when describing units of time, such temporal references as "seconds", "minutes", "hours" and "years" would not have existed since those time units are based on the rotational and orbital periods of the Earth, but for clarity's sake, such measures of time are used in this story and you must assume that the Valar had their own means of measuring the passing of Time in Eä.

The same goes for any astronomical or scientific references, such as "galaxy", "globular cluster", and "space-time continuum", etc. when describing their activities in building Eä.

If some of the Valar seem different from how they are portrayed in my other stories about them, keep in mind that eons separate the Valar and Maiar of this story with those that take place in the later Ages of Arda. Like all created beings, the Valar and Maiar are not perfect. They make mistakes and hopefully learn and grow from them.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List