Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Wars of the Valar  by Fiondil

36: Almaren Rising

There was peace in Eä for a time. As Manwë feared, the task of reordering Atháraphelun and making the Children’s World habitable again was long and wearying, yet they were of good cheer. Aulë recreated his own world and set to making the Lamps that he had promised Yavanna would light Ambarhíni until such time as the Children were due to appear. He had several of his people busy constructing the globes, with Aulendil and Auros working on one while Curumo and Urion worked on the other. Urion’s sister in Atar’s Thought, Urwen, helped Aulë with the actual materials which would produce the necessary light.

"We will not make the light the same for both Lamps," Aulë told her. "I want one to be cooler than the other so that when they blend together the light will be neither too hot nor too cold. Yavanna is impatient to see her seeds sprout and so we must work hard to make these Lamps in good time."

While the Lamps were being constructed, Tulkas and Oromë were busy building the pillars upon which the Lamps would be placed, deciding where they should go to produce the needed result. At the end it was determined that placing them at the poles would be sufficient, so long as the pillars themselves were of a height to achieve their goal of bringing enough light and warmth to the planet to begin the process of germination.

"They will pierce the atmosphere," Tulkas said. "It seems almost silly to bother with the pillars at all. Why don’t we just put them in a circumpolar orbit instead?"

"The degree of light would be inconstant if we did that," Oromë explained, "or at least that’s what Aulë said when I asked. In order for Yavanna’s seeds to bear fruit there must be a constant amount of light and heat being generated. Once this has been accomplished we will extinguish the Lamps and put a forcefield around the planet to keep the plants from dying."

"It seems odd that Atar would want the First Children to be brought forth under starlight," Tulkas commented. "And what of the other Children? Will they ever see the light of a sun?"

Oromë shrugged. "Námo perhaps knows what is in store for the Secondborn but at the moment our primary concern is to prepare for the coming of the Firstborn."

And so the pillars were constructed — gleaming towers of crystal that rose precipitously into the outer reaches of the atmosphere. Upon the northern pillar was set a faceted gemstone of palest blue that pulsated with a cool light, though any of the Mirroanwi would have been incinerated had they come within even a few hundred leagues of it. Aulë was well pleased with it and named it Illuin. Upon the southern pillar stood an orb made from a yellow-orange crystal that Aulë named Ormal. It pulsated with a warmer heat and together the lights of the two Lamps blended together, spreading across the planet, creating an endless day that provided the correct conditions for the sprouting of Yavanna’s seeds, which she had patiently planted whenever a section of the world was restored to its original beauty.

Slowly, but surely, the Children’s World became habitable. Námo spent much of his time, along with Oromë, hunting down the pockets of chaos that still ripped through the system and outlying areas of space and calming the chaotic state of some of the higher dimensions that had been disrupted by the war. Vána worked closely with Vairë in weaving the elements at the molecular level that would eventually provide the building blocks for the rise of amino acids and the first stages of animal life. Nienna and Ulmo worked diligently in bringing the Sea into being while Tulkas’ strength was utilized in raising the continents. In the center of the main continent which straddled the equator was a Great Lake that was more like an inner sea save that it had no actual outlet to the encircling Ocean. An island was built in the midst of the Lake and was named Almaren. It was to be the home of the Ayanumuz as they awaited the coming of the Children. In the task of molding Almaren to their tastes, Nessa worked beside Tulkas, much to the amusement of all. Irmo and Estë continued to work at healing those Máyar who had been injured during the war, while Manwë and Varda oversaw all, directing the various Máyar here or there as needed.

At Ancalequirindë’s suggestion, Námo assigned Olórin to work with his brother in caring for the wounded. "He has a compassionate soul," the Máya told her lord, "and is more humble than most. I think he would enjoy helping to heal those who suffered in the war."

Námo agreed to that and Irmo later expressed his own satisfaction at Olórin’s demeanor and willingness to help wherever needed. "He is eager to learn from us which can only increase his wisdom in time," Irmo told Námo and Manwë.

"And Fionwë?" Manwë asked, wondering how Námo was handling his new charges.

"Ancalequirindë suggested that he be set to work in helping to calm the fires that continue to plague Ambarhíni," Námo said. "He is still angry and we think to use that anger to good purpose."

"Yes, he was always hot-headed," Manwë said with a slight smile. "The last time he acted precipitously I threatened to rename him Rushurhastaz."

The others laughed at that.

"What of Eönwë?" Manwë then asked.

"I have kept him at my side," Námo stated. "He is learning from me the art of bringing order out of chaos. There is something about him that makes me wonder...."

"Wonder what?" Manwë demanded with a frown.

"I am not sure," Námo answered, "but I think his destiny will be greater than we know. At any rate, he is learning obedience as he follows my directions. I believe he is trying hard to make amends. They all are, in fact."

"Then I will leave it to you to decide when their tour of duty under your tutelage ends and they can be restored to their former positions among my People."

****

Ambarhíni orbited the black hole another thirty-eight hundred or so times before Almaren was finished. The light of the two Lamps mingled over the island and the first forests began to take root, while small animals that burrowed in the ground or swam in the waters flourished. Flowering plants there were none, just mosses, ferns and wild grasses, nor were there any winged creatures save small insects. Námo insisted there should also be nermir, though Yavanna tried to explain why that would not be possible.

"They live on nectar, Námo," Yavanna said with some exasperation. "Do you see any flowers blooming yet?"

"So make some," Námo said with a dismissive sniff.

"All in good time," Yavanna retorted. "Now why don’t you go find a pocket of chaos to play with or something and let me get on with things?"

Námo refused to speak to her for days after that, much to everyone else’s amusement.

In the midst of Almaren grew the tallest trees whose heads were wreathed with clouds while their roots lay in green twilight. Among the trees fair dwellings were constructed for the Ayanumuz and their Máyar, for whenever they came to Ambarhíni they would become incarnate to better enjoy the physical pleasures which the world offered. The first dwelling was a grove constructed by Irmo and Estë’s People for the benefit of the wounded Máyar.

"I think they will heal more quickly in the rich environment which Ambarhíni is finally beginning to show," Irmo told them and so the injured were removed from Nasarphelun to Ambarhíni in good order. Estë noticed a marked improvement in the recovery of several Máyar who had languished somewhat in their healing, which pleased her to no end.

Other dwellings were built, usually by Tulkas and soon all the Ayanumuz were able to enjoy the pleasures of their own dwellings. Námo, for instance, carved for himself a hollow hill lit by phosphorescent fungi and mosses which set the gems that Aulë had created that were embedded into the rock blazing with multi-colored hues. Oromë jested that Námo was still trying to find a good place to hide. Námo responded by bodily picking Oromë up and throwing him into the Lake.

"Catch me if you can," he said in a taunting voice as Oromë surfaced, spouting water all over the place. Then Námo made a rude noise and ran swiftly away. Oromë obliged by giving chase and Námo led him around the island, weaving back and forth across the face of Almaren, ending with a mad race around its perimeter before the two of them collapsed in a heap laughing gaily. Oromë shoved Námo into a sand dune face first and held him there until the younger Ayanuz capitulated.

"Serves you right," Vairë told him later, giving him a sniff of disdain, but Námo merely laughed.

"It was fun while it lasted," he said, "and I think we both needed the release."

The other Ayanumuz and Máyar also found needed release from the horrors of the war. When they were not at their various tasks they could often be found dancing and singing or simply playing. On the western shore of Almaren they built a sheer seacliff surrounded by jagged rocks. The waters were deepest there on that side of the island. It was not unusual to see Aulë and Ulmo especially challenging each other to dive off the top of the cliff. Sometimes Námo and Oromë would join them and Tulkas was often seen grabbing one or another of the nissi (Nessa in particular, though he refrained from doing so with Varda) and jumping off with them, laughing as they screamed in feigned fright.

"I think Tulkas and Nessa are getting rather close," Námo commented to Oromë once after Tulkas had grabbed Nessa and jumped off the cliff with her.

Oromë scowled. "Too close," he muttered.

Námo looked at his friend in surprise. "Do you not think Tulkas will make a good spouse for your sister?"

Oromë waved his hand in dismissal. "Oh, it’s not that. Tulkas is a fine Ayanuz and I am glad he likes my sister. It’s Nessa."

"What about Nessa?" Námo asked in confusion.

Oromë sighed, looking somewhat rueful. "Well, all she ever talks about is Tulkas."

"That’s a bad thing?" Námo was still not sure what the problem was.

Now Oromë was looking embarrassed. "The way she goes on about him you would think he won the war single-handedly."

"Ah." Things were beginning to make sense now. "You feel that Tulkas is taking too much credit...."

"Nay, just the opposite," Oromë countered, "but Nessa...."

"She is in love," Námo ventured. "I think that...um... colors her perceptions."

"I suppose," Oromë said with a sigh.

Námo smiled knowingly. "Would it displease you if they espoused?"

Oromë gave the younger Ayanumuz a surprised look. "Displease me? Nay. I am happy that Nessa has found someone to love. Ulmo looks not to be interested in espousing anyone and I think few of the Máyar would even consider themselves worthy to wed one of the Ayanumuz."

Námo nodded, knowing the truth of that. "Then I am glad for her sake that Atar allowed Tulkas to join us in Eä."

Oromë might have said something then but at that moment Tulkas and Nessa came to them, both dripping and laughing. "Come and join us," Nessa said to her brother. "We are going to swim to the other side of Almaren. Varda says they will have a feast waiting for us when we arrive."

"Sounds like fun," Námo said with a laugh. "Where is Vairë?"

"Here." They turned to see her approaching.

"Want to join us for a swim around Almaren?"

"Sure. Which direction will we go?"

"Why don’t we have a race?" Oromë suggested. "Námo, why don’t you and Vairë go south and we three will take the northern route? We’ll see who gets to the other side first."

"And what do the losers have to forfeit?" Tulkas asked with a smile.

"Hmm.... how about losers have to serve the winners at this feast Varda says Manwë is ordering?" Nessa suggested.

"That sounds fair," Vairë said and the others nodded in agreement.

"Shall we all jump off together then?" Námo asked with a sly grin and before anyone could respond, he swooped Vairë into his arms and, running to the edge, leapt off with her screaming imprecations at him. The others laughed. With Nessa between them, and all holding hands, Oromë and Tulkas leapt off the cliff as well.

****

Mirroanwi: (Quenya) Plural of Mirroanwë: An Incarnate, i.e. an Elf or Mortal.

Rushurhastaz: (Valarin) Fire-haired.

Nissi: (Quenya) Plural of nís: Female.

Note: Another 400 Valian years (3,832 solar years) elapsed between the coming of Tulkas into Eä and the founding of Almaren.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List