Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter 12 – A Reckoning

Borondir motioned for the Chamberlain, who walked slowly to him. He chided himself thoroughly; this man hardly knew him. He wondered… Pursing his lips, he moved forward. Whether or not the man knew him, he would have to obey him. "Please tell Lady Indis to meet me in her study immediately. It is of the gravest importance."

"And you are… Ah, the healer's husband."

Unfortunately, Borondir had no time for even the rudiments of humor this day. "Go now."

The Chamberlain stared at him for one long moment, then turned and walked down the long Hall. Borondir watched as he spoke with Indis; even at this distance he could discern her eyes widening. He shrugged and took himself from the Hall. Running up the stairs, he motioned for the guard to let him in. He had been here often as his healer-wife happened to be Indis' counselor, but the guard refused him entry. "At least send for some food. I have not eaten yet this day and it is almost time for the noon meal. The Regent will need some too."

"She is at Court now. She will not return for at least another hour." The man said in confusion.

"She has been summoned and she will come."

The guard nodded and rang for assistance. Indis' maidservant opened the door, listened to his request with a quirked eyebrow, nodded and closed the door again.

If Borondir had not been so concerned with what he was going to say to Indis, his blood would be boiling at the delay. But he had spent the entire four hour ride going over and over what he would say, how he would say it, and what he would offer as advice. At that thought, he walked back to the guard's side. "Would you please send for Ragnhild and Captain-General Listöwel? They will be needed."

The guard nodded, his own brow rising in sudden realization that a crisis was upon Gondor. He rang the bell again and the maidservant brought him another servant immediately. The boy ran as fast as his legs would carry him, per Borondir's instructions. "I should have thought of them before. All should be in readiness before…"

But she was upon him, her eyes wide with concern, not yet fright, he noted. She bade him enter her chambers. He followed behind her. She went directly to her study and sat.

"I have supposed I should be sitting for whatever news you bring does not appear happy. The fishing trip did not go well?" She controlled her voice and he was again impressed, knowing that every possible scenario had gone through her mind as she made her way here. "Speak man, I would wait no further."

"Faramir has been lost. He has sustained some injury. I know not how critical."

At that moment, Listöwel entered the room. "Where did this happen?" the Captain-General quickly asked.

"At the Anduin, about two miles above Osgiliath. I think he woke to relieve himself, walked to the river to lave his hands. At that time, I believe a badger attacked him. We found her den a short ways from that point. I do not know how it was missed. Both went into the river. Has there been no errand-rider yet?"

"There has not. Now, when he went into the river, how do you know he was injured?"

"There was blood on one of the rocks on the shore. It was not much, but it was blood."

"Mayhap it was the badger's?"

"I think not." Borondir pursed his lips. "Patrols were sent out immediately; I left an hour later and still there was no word."

"The river runs slowly now, does it not?"

"Nay. There was a storm during the night in the north. By this morning, the river was running swift and hard. There was also debris being washed down."

"Tree limbs and such?"

"Yes. Patrols were dispatched immediately south. There had been pickets along the river, but none heard anything. A rider was sent to Osgiliath. Two boats were launched and five companies were sent out south on the eastern bank. That is all I know now. I ordered errand-riders every two hours."

"And yet none have arrived." Listöwel pulled the rope and the guard entered. "Send for Captain Hirgon."

The guard saluted and left just as Ragnhild entered. She stood by the door and waited, noting they were in the midst of discussion.

"Why would he have not cried out, Borondir, when he fell in? Or was the river so loud none could hear him?" Indis finally spoke.

"There was an incident the day we arrived. A rabbit had frightened Faramir. He was most embarrassed. The men proved noble and sent out scouts to assuage the boy's fears. I believe he thought it was another rabbit, before it attacked. Fear may have stayed his voice."

Indis looked down at her hands, splayed the fingers open, then clenched them tightly. "Have you broken your fast?"

Borondir looked up in surprise. "I have not."

"But," she smiled wearily, "you ordered a meal?"

"I thought you would be hungry too."

"After the news you bring? I think not."

"I cannot tell you how sorry I am," Borondir blurted out. "I would have stayed with the search parties, but I deemed it my duty to return here to you."

"I do not blame you, Borondir. I agreed to this foolish trip. Nay, not foolish. The boy needed to be away. Did he enjoy himself at all?"

"We laughed much, my Regent. He caught many fish." A tear trickled down the captain's cheek. "We sang songs around the campfire. His knowledge of Elven songs is impressive."

"From his mother," she sighed.

The guard knocked and let Hirgon in. He saluted and waited.

"Have there been any missives from Osgiliath or Durahil's company today?" Listöwel asked.

"None, Captain-General. I expect the noon one any moment now. Shall I send a rider out?"

"Nay. But as soon as you receive any missives whatsoever, bring them here. Immediately."

"I will." He saluted and left.

"I do not understand," Borondir shook his head. "A rider sent out two hours ago should have passed me."

Indis stood and looked out the window, her heart all but broken. 'We cannot have come through all this to lose him in an accident.' She turned towards Borondir. "You looked for signs of Orcs or other men's footprints?"

"We did, my Lady. There was a clear path to the river and only Faramir's and the badger's footmarks. I personally watched."

"I know your prowess as a tracker, Borondir. I had to ask."

"With the treachery that assailed us last winter and this spring, I understand. Which is why I was so determined to affirm the details of what happened. I took longer to arrive here than I should have, making sure that all was as it seemed."

"No sign of Orcs."

"Not a one. And no reports of any activity in the area."

"How swift was the river flowing? Would it have carried him far and quickly?"

"It would have carried him very far. The other problem is the river is rising quickly. If we do not find him soon, we will lose any tracks along it."

Indis called her maidservant. "Set the table now and bring some wine too. Come," she turned towards Borondir. "You are weary and hungry. Not eating will not help Faramir."

As they ate the meal, Borondir asked, "Will you go to the river, direct the search yourself?"

"Nay. I trust my men, Borondir. I trust you."

Hirgon was admitted. "There is a missive," he said breathlessly. "I ran," he said needlessly.

Indis took the missive. After a quick look at the terse message, she turned to her advisors and friends. "There is no news. He still has not been found." She took a long, ragged breath. "Mayhap I should go."

"The missive could only have been sent two hours ago, my Regent," Borondir stated.

"He has been missing since sometime last night though. He must be terrified." She bit her lip and rose from her untouched meal. "Nay. I cannot. I must show my men that I trust them."

"Time to call the War Council, Indis?" Listöwel asked gently.

"Yes. Let us list the names, write the invitations and meet after the daymeal. In fact, I wish to invite them here to my own dining room; we will share our meal and then speak. Send for Warden Húrin. As for you, Hirgon. Thank you for your care in delivering this. It is most appreciated. Please, keep alert. These missives are most important. I must have them as soon as they arrive."

He saluted, a frown upon his brow, and turned to leave.

"What is it, Captain?"

"The Steward is missing? I did not mean to listen."

"Nay, you did not. Yes, the Steward is missing. But he will be found."

"Of course." He saluted and left.

"Will he not speak? Will not the whole Citadel know about this within the hour?" Ragnhild asked.

"Nay. I trust the man completely. He will not speak. Why else would Denethor have placed him in such a position of importance? He will not speak. Now, to the list. Borondir, you will be part of this gathering. Stay."

"I would beg you, let me return to the river? Please."

Her eyes filled. "Yes. Go and may the Valar be with you!"

~*~

A/N  - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071201151405AANCLkk&show=7  for knots vs mph

http://www.caleuche.com/River/FAQ.htm for river information for the Mississippi – I imagine the Anduin to be most like the Mississippi

River flow rates: normal  Min – from the National Weather Service, Cleveland, Ohio – river flows are usually about 5 kph = 5.17 mph. After a serious storm, flows can increase to 8mph.

Try this waterdate.usgs.gov/oh/nwis   add uv?04201500





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List