Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 16 - Lessons For A Would-be Ranger

The wait was beginning to grow in length and to wear upon the Ranger. Aragorn looked at his leg in consternation. There was naught he could do. He could not stop the bleeding till the trap was sprung. He could not stand else the blood flow even freer. If Faramir did not return soon, he would have to throw caution to the wind and find the lad. He began to dig at the earth with his hands to try to free the chain that held the trap to the ground. He was making headway. It seemed that the trap would be freed from the earth’s hold.

Just as the last vestige of patience left him, as he tried with all his might to yank the chain from the ground, and he was ready to try to move, he heard a rustle in the bushes. Faramir stepped forward holding two sticks. Despite his relief at seeing the boy with the sticks, Aragorn’s heart lurched at the sight of pure terror on the young face.

When Faramir saw him, the boy cried out in relief. “I was lost!” he wailed.

“You have done well, my Steward,” Aragorn said quietly. “You have returned and with the tools I need. Help me wedge that stick here.” He pointed, willing himself calm to combat the boy’s obvious terror. “Here and here.” Within a moment, the ugly trap opened enough for Faramir to pull Aragorn’s leg free.

Aragorn let the trap fall shut and collapsed on the ground. “Thank you,” he whispered hoarsely. Faramir fell on him, hugging him tightly and weeping profusely. However difficult this was for him, Aragorn knew he must keep the boy from dwelling on the fears and terrors that seemed to run rampant in his heart. “Do not fear, Faramir. I will be all right now. We must make a paste of the athelas and put it on the wound. Will you help me?”

Faramir nodded and helped Aragorn remove the pack from his shoulder.

“See the leaves of that bush, Faramir?” The boy nodded. “Cut a few off and bring them to me.” At the question in the lad’s eyes, he smiled. “Yes. You may take your dagger out when you reach the plant. Cut off the leaves and then re-sheath the dagger.”

Faramir nodded and ran to the bush. Aragorn noted the dirk was immediately sheathed once the leaves were cut. By the time Faramir returned with them, Aragorn was already finishing the paste. He wished he could have made a fire. The leaf was always more potent when warmed. “Faramir. I need you to cleanse the wound. Take the flask of water and pour it over it. Make sure you get every place the teeth of the trap broke the skin. Use it all, if need be. There are plenty of streams nearby where we can refill it.” Once the wound was cleaned, Aragorn slathered the paste on it. Faramir held the leaves up and helped Aragorn wrap the ankle. The Ranger then took a line from his pouch and thrice wrapped it. Then, he lay back, exhausted.

“Should I start a fire?”

“Nay, Faramir. We have moved only a short distance from last night’s camp. We would be too easily found. Give me a few moments rest and then we will move on. While I rest, would you dig a small hole with that rock, just a small hole, and bury the trap and cover over the blood. We do not want Orcs smelling fresh blood.”

The boy sat next to him and shivered. “Are there enemies about?”

“I think not. Faramir, you did well today. Bringing two sticks was better than one.” The boy did not reply, but huddled a little closer.

“Faramir, if you were lost, how did you find me?”

“You were moaning. When I knew I was lost, I kept still and finally heard you.”

“Very good thinking. Did your father teach you how to leave a trail that only you can see?”

“Nay.” The boy’s eyes were wide.

“Let me tell you.” He rested as he spoke, taking these few moments to regain his strength, as Faramir dug a hole and buried the trap. “At every five paces, find a tree with low branches. Most men will look at eye height for some sign. If you use the low branches, all but the best trackers will not see. Twist two leaves together. Orcs and even Easterlings will not note. After an hour, the leaves unwind and there is no sign of your passing. Unfortunately, if you do not return within the hour, you will find no sign either.” Faramir giggled. “Do you want to try your hand at this?” The boy nodded and ran to the nearest tree. He took two leaves and wrapped them together. Smiling, he returned. “Do you see how the leaves seem naturally to cling together? There is no sign of broken twigs and other such to give away that the tree has been touched.” Faramir sat next to the Ranger, his eyes wide in delight. Aragorn patted his shoulder. “You have done well. This is a trick that bears remembering.” Faramir nodded solemnly and promised he would not forget.

At last, Aragorn’s eyes grew heavy. He started. “I have lost more blood than I thought. Faramir, I need water. Is there any left?”

The boy reached for the flask; it was empty.

“Well then, I will rest a little longer. Then we will find a stream.”

“There was one near where I found the sticks. I could go back.”

“Nay. We will wait a little longer till I recover my strength.”

“I… What should I call you?”

Aragorn smiled. “Let us use Strider for the nonce.”

“Strider, there are no badgers nearby, are there?”

“I think not.”

“Then I will practice finding my way and fetch some water.”

Aragorn looked long and hard at the boy. “Go part way. Make sure you leave yourself the signs. Then, return. Did you watch for traps?”

“I did. I will take the flask with me.”

“Faramir! I only want you to go part way.”

“Strider. I am thirsty, too. I heard a stream near where I found the sticks. I can find it again and find my way back. I am certain.”

“I have the sticks, Faramir. If you do not return shortly, then I will hit them together. Follow the sound.”

“Are there Orcs near here?”

“There could be.”

“Then I will be back before you need to use the sticks.”

“Another thing, Faramir, to help you find your way. See this tree here? The moss grows on the north side. And see the spider webs? They usually are spun on the south side. So you can see we are facing the west. Do you understand?”

“I do. I move forward five feet and twine the leaves on the west side of the trees. Then I move another five feet and do the same. That way I will be able to find my way back. Is that right?”

Aragorn nodded as Faramir fetched the flask and ran off. “Watch for traps,” he whispered. “May the Valar be with you.”

~*~

A/N – I really must thank Linaewen for the idea of using leaves. It really works pretty well. Especially after a website I found suggested using florescent thumbtacks. Sure, Faramir carries florescent thumbtacks all the time, as does Aragorn. LOL

http://www.ussartf.org/child_survival_.htm http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/worst_case_scenarios/1289331.html  http://senselist.com/2006/10/02/13-ways-to-find-north-if-youre-lost-in-the-woods/ http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7301469-description.html





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List