Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter 24 - Foul Things

“Listen,” Elladan’s whisper shook Aragorn. Too oft had he heard the tone that whisper carried. There was danger about. He strained, trying to hear anything, but could not.

“Battle,” Elrohir replied in the same whispered tone. “A bit to the south of us.”

“Orcs?”

“Yes. Very near, too. Strider,” Elladan’s tongue tripped over the unfamiliar name. “I will help you into that tree,” he pointed, “and also Faramir. You will stay there until we return.”

Aragorn opened his mouth to protest and realized how futile it would be. He was badly injured, could hardly stand on his own, and he had the young Steward to protect. He nodded.

His brothers smiled. “You do well, Estel,” Elladan whispered. Elrohir nodded in agreement.

Faramir had begun to breathe heavily as soon as he heard the word, Orcs. He ran to Aragorn’s side. The Ranger was pleased to note that, though there was fear in the boy’s eyes, he did not cling to him.

“Do not be too afraid, Faramir. This is not good, but my brothers will take care of the threat and return to us.”

Elrohir helped Aragorn to the tree and Elladan pushed him up. The Ranger held out his hand and Elrohir, after whispering words of encouragement to the boy, lifted Faramir up. Gingerly, Aragorn climbed up another three limbs. The branches were close to each other and Faramir had no trouble following him. As Aragorn fitted himself into the crook of a limb, he found Faramir huddling close by. He took the boy and put him on his lap. “No matter what happens, or what you might see,” he whispered. “you must stay still.”

“I know the danger, Strider,” the boy gulped. “I will bite my hand before I scream, I promise.”

Elrohir heard and looked up. “Do not harm yourself, Faramir. We will return before any can assail you. I promise.” He smiled and was gone, following close behind his brother.

Aragorn pulled Faramir a little closer.

~*~

“There are only a hundred or so,” Borondir moaned.

“Nay, it only looks like it,” Valanestel hissed through his teeth. “It is dark and that makes their number look greater.” He slashed at the hand of one who had almost cut off his own arm, and grunted in satisfaction to see the severed part on the ground before him. “Also,” he swung and killed another, “they have lots of armor on to make them look bigger. These are puny compared,” another swing averted the loss of his head, “puny compared to those we fight in the north of Osgiliath.”

“Tell that to this one!” Borondir shouted an oath as he ducked. “Taste this, you filth!” He at last slid under and severed the Orc’s left tendon. The beast fell and Borondir slit its throat.

“I see you know how to fight Orcs,” Valanestel gritted through clenched teeth. The particular Orc that he faced now seemed quite a bit larger than the last one. “I was afraid,” he slashed and missed, “you were a greenhorn.” Another slash, another duck, and finally his blade struck home. The beast fell.

“Greenhorn!” Borondir sputtered as he felled another creature. He turned, grinning at Valanestel, and grimaced. His eyes opened wide and the Ranger saw the pain. The man fell quietly.

“No!” Valanestel screamed. “No!” and charged the beast that felled his friend.

Another and another came. The Ranger watched as his company and those of Borondir’s fell, one after another, faster and more furiously. ‘So tonight I die,’ he thought as he gripped his sword tighter. ‘I will take some with me.’

The Orc that flung its spear fell in front of him. Valanestel looked up, trying to see which of his men had saved his life. None were armed with bows. And yet, an arrow had buried itself deep into the beast’s chest.

He quickly spun around and looked again, but there was no one with a bow. Sidestepping another Orc, he sliced his sword through the chest of the beast and stepped over it to attack another. Just then, he heard the soft whine of another arrow and watched as a large Orc, just behind him, fell. Two more whines and two more of the beasts fell. He watched in surprise as the remaining Orcs screamed in terror and ran.

Trying to make some sense of this, he looked about him. His men, what were left of them, were helping their comrades stand. Others took charge of the wounded. Valanestel summoned his own aide. “Did you see where the arrows came from?”

“Nay,” Balan watched the forest as he spoke. “They seemed to come from everywhere.”

“Yes. I thought the same. Look up into the trees. Mayhap our rescuers are there.” He called out, “Hoy! You who have come to our aid, make yourselves known.” Only silence greeted his call.

“Set pickets, Balan, and then send out a small patrol. Make sure the Orcs have continued to run from us.” He smiled, “I correct myself. Run from our rescuers.”

He began to pick through the bodies that lay strewn about. Remembering in horror the fall of Borondir, he ran to the spot he had last seen the man. At last, he found him. Blood seemed to be everywhere. “Captain Borondir, please speak to me.” No sound left the captain, but Valanestel noted that his chest rose with ragged breaths.

“Healer!” he shouted.

“Dead, Captain,” Balan ran to his side. “Ours and Borondir’s. Both dead.”

The Ranger swore viciously. “He will not live long. I can bandage the wound, but he has lost much blood. Do we have any of the healers’ packs?”

“I will look.”

Valanestel heard his aide shouting out orders to find the packs. Within moments, the aide returned. “Here,” he held out a crushed package. “This is all that was found. I fear the contents are useless.”

“We cannot leave them in this state,” Elladan whispered. “What good is it to save them from Orcs and then leave them to die.” He shifted slightly in the tree to better face his brother.

“I do not think showing ourselves is wise. You have heard the rumors of fear and disregard towards Elves by these Men. We have already risked our lives once today. I would prefer not to die on the end of a sword of Gondor. Then there is Estel and the young Steward to think of. Our reception could be hostile, ending with us bound or dead. And then what of Estel and the boy. Nay. I think it foolish to show ourselves. Let us return to Estel and take him and Faramir back to Osgiliath. We will do what Estel thought, leave the boy near the gates and watch until he is discovered.”

Elladan reached over and touched Elrohir. “We cannot leave them, muindor nîn.

Elrohir nodded. “I will follow your lead.”

Elladan jumped down from the tree. He slung his bow upon his back and held his hands before him. A heartbeat later, Elrohir joined him.

Shouts greeted them. Valanestel looked up in surprise and fear. “Hold!” he shouted as his men gripped their swords and spears. “Hold. They have put aside their weapons.” He strode forward. “Elves.” His heart jumped. “Forgive me. We have not seen Elves in Gondor in an age. Welcome and, I believe, thank you should be our response. You are the ones who saved us?”

“I would hardly say we saved you, valiant warrior of Gondor,” Elladan bowed slightly. “You were outmanned. You and your men have naught to be ashamed of.”

Valanestel smiled. “Why do you show yourselves?”

“You seem to need more than an arrow or two. My brother and I are skilled in the art of healing. We offer our help.”

The man almost choked in surprise and relief. “We are desperately in need. Our healers were killed during the battle. We have almost no medicaments. This is our captain; he is gravely wounded.”

Elladan knelt next to the man. Elrohir moved off to another. “He is indeed gravely injured. Do you have a cart nearby?”

“Nay. We are searching for… we scour the woods for a missing man. It is easier to track without horse or cart.”

Elladan looked up. “A missing man?”

Valanestel wondered at his slip and then sighed. “A child. We have lost a child.”

“I have found a child,” Elladan stood. “We have hidden him, during the battle, in a place near here.”

The Ranger’s eyes filled with tears. “A boy! You have found a boy? Seven in men’s years?”

Elladan smiled. “Seven and precocious. Unharmed but frightened.”

He watched in wonder as the doughty Ranger before him crumpled to his knees. “Valar be praised,” Valanestel whispered. Elladan nodded in agreement.

A/N - muindor nîn – my brother - http://www.jrrvf.com/cgi-bin/hisweloke/sindarin.cgi?search=muindor





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List