Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Thirty – More Questions, Not Less

“Strider is, in truth, a Captain of Gondor, Faramir. One of the greatest.”

“He said he is on a… I do not know if I may tell you.” He stood and ran to Indis’ chair. After a moment’s whispered consultation, he returned to his own seat. “He is on a secret mission for Gondor. Once he is finished, he will meet with me at Morwen Steelsheen’s farm in Lossarnach and I will begin my training as his esquire.” His face near burst with the smile that encompassed it.

“A worthy lord to be esquire for,” Borondir mused. “I myself have never met him, but the tales told of his deeds are sometimes beyond belief.”

“He knows the forest and everything in it and ways to find your way if you're lost and what is poisonous and what is not and how to climb a tree safely and how to fish and…” The boy blushed. “He took great care of me, even after he was injured.”

“Injured,” Ragnhild sat up. “Why did you not bring him here, Borondir? He should be in the Houses.”

“He would not come here, Ragnhild,” Faramir said gently. “Remember – he is on a secret mission. Besides, his brothers will take good care of him.”

“His brothers?” Éomund asked.

“Yes. Elladan and Elrohir. Just as they took care of Borondir and his men. They are great healers, according to Strider.”

“They did care for us,” Borondir enjoined. “But then they disappeared. Where was Strider during this time?”

“Oh,” Faramir giggled. “He was up a tree, waiting for our troops to leave. He said no one could see him in Ithilien. What is his mission, Amma, if I may ask?”

“We will speak of it later, Faramir. For now, please tell me how badly he was injured. Should I send a healer to the forest to help him?”

“They are probably many miles away from where Borondir found us, Amma.” The boy nodded his head to emphasize the fact that, in his mind, the three had long ago left their little campsite. “His brothers said they must leave as soon as possible. They had a really nice litter that they made. Strider caught his foot in a trap. It was a big one and we had a difficult time opening the trap. His brothers said the wound was infec… infected. But they said he would be all right. They put some potion or something on it. The same thing Strider used on the badger’s bite on my arm and the eagle’s claw marks on my shoulders.”

“Eagle!” Targon stood up in surprise. “You said nothing about an eagle!”

Indis sat back in total disbelief. Éomund chuckled. Faramir blushed. “I forgot. It pulled me from the water. Are there any more cookies?”

Targon stood up and retrieved four and placed them on a plate on Faramir’s lap.

Indis looked at Listöwel in surprise. “You are hungry again, Faramir?”

“I am. I think I’ve been hungry since they mumbled over me.”

A chill ran up Indis’ back. “Who mumbled what, Faramir?”

“Strider and his brothers. They told me after they woke up. They frightened me. I,” the boy bit his lip, his face reddened. “I fainted when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I thought it was an Orc. I had gone fishing to get food for Strider. When I woke up, they were all lying on the ground. I thought they were dead.” The boy’s voice caught.

“But you said they mumbled over you?”

“I heard something when I was beginning to wake. It was more like a song, I suppose, than a mumble… I’m not sure. When I did wake up, they were all lying on the ground. Strider’s brothers had their eyes open, but they did not blink or move or anything.” He shivered in remembrance.

“And after that, you were hungry?”

“Yes. Very hungry,” he blushed again. “More cookies please? They are very good, Targon.”

The cook’s apprentice laughed and brought over the tray, placing it on the table next to Faramir. “More hot chocolate?”

“Milk?”

Éomund stood up. Taking Faramir into a huge hug, he laughed. “Welcome back, little one.”

There was something about the warmth of the embrace and the smell of the Rohir that made Faramir sigh and scrunch into the hug. “I missed you.”

“I am glad I was able to come. I wanted very badly to be with you when you accepted the Rod of Steward, but the Orcs are very bad to the north of us. I must return shortly. Perhaps tomorrow.”

“Please do not…” A heavy sigh told Éomund of Faramir’s love.

“I will return. And next time, Faramir, I will bring Théodred with me. I promise.”

“Thank you!” the boy said heartily.

“It is time you slept, Faramir. Though you look well enough, the events of these past few weeks have been o’ermuch for a growing boy.” The leech in Ragnhild spoke. “I will walk you to your room.” Indis stood and all joined her.

“May Targon come with me? I wanted to talk just a little more about some of the things that happened.”

Indis’ eyes clouded. After a moment’s hesitation, she said yes. Targon walked forward and put his arm around Faramir’s shoulder. “I want to hear more about the eagle.”

They left, Ragnhild leading them and the boy’s chattering about eagles and fishing and riding a rain-swollen river.

Éomund smiled as they walked away, but the smile left him as he looked at Indis. “What concerns you, Indis?”

“The singing, mumbling, whatever it was. I think Thorongil and his brothers have broken the spell that lay over Faramir.”

“What makes you think that?” Borondir offered her a glass of wine.

Indis took it and sat back down. The others followed her lead. “Faramir, these past months, has eaten like a bird. His lack of appetite has ever been on my mind. He is only seven and should be eating like a horse; yet, he continuously picked at his food. Until now. And there was a light of laughter and joy in his eyes. Did you not see it?”

They were interrupted by a knock on the door. Balan entered upon Indis command. “The Lord Saruman is requesting an audience, my Regent.”

Éomund stood, cursing the effrontery of the wizard. Borondir moved to stand next to Indis. Listöwel placed her hand on the pommel of her sword and Húrin moved closer to the guard. “He will be seen tomorrow. I have made an appointment for an audience at that time and had sent a missive to his quarters. Express the Lady Indis’ regrets.”

“Nay, Húrin,” Indis interrupted him.

“Nay, Indis. The strain of Faramir’s disappearance has been great upon us all, but most especially upon you. I will not countenance it. If I must, I will have the Master Healer order it so.”

She looked at her Warden in surprise. “Thank you, Húrin. You are correct, as always. I bow to your wisdom.” She turned to Balan. “Please offer my apologies and tell him I will meet with him tomorrow at the appointed hour in the Great Hall.”

Balan grinned, bowed and left the room.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List