Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Thirty-Two – Friendship Reforged

Éomund turned towards the wizard. “You must forgive her. I do not believe she is healed yet from the death of her husband. She is not thinking rightly. Shall I accompany you back to Isengard, my Lord?”

The wizard turned his back upon the Rohir and strode angrily out of the Hall.

Within moments Ragnhild’s eyes welled with tears. “I wanted Indis to let him take Faramir,” she whispered, horror in her voice. She tried to run from the room, but her stomach failed her and she hunched over and retched miserably.

Éomund went to her side. “What do you mean? Of course she should send Faramir…” He fell to his knees as realization overwhelmed him. “There is some evil here,” the Rider cried aloud. “Faramir should not go to Isengard!”

“Indis will never speak to me again. I should return to the Mark and hide myself away.”

Ragnhild’s sobs tore through Borondir who had just entered the hall. “What evil has befallen Gondor now that makes you weep so piteously, my wife? Let me hold you and comfort you.”

She looked at him and shuddered. “I have been befouled.”

His great long face turned near as dark as his hair. “Who? Tell me and I will kill him.”

“Nay. ‘Tis my own folly.” She wept on as Éomund finally stood.

“Let us away from this place, in case a portion of the evil yet lingers in this Hall.” The Rohir motioned and both his friends walked with him, Borondir possessively holding onto Ragnhild. “My quarters are nearest, I think. Let us go there.”

He led them up the stairs to the first guest rooms on their left. His aide saluted and let them in. Éomund quickly strode towards the fire and put another log on. He pulled the bell and a servant entered before Ragnhild and Borondir had time to sit. After the servant poured them heady ale, he left. “Now,” Borondir began, “Tell me what has happened? Why you weep, Ragnhild, and why you, Éomund, look as if you have murdered your own best friend?”

“I have done that, of a sorts,” Éomund began as Ragnhild was once again overcome with horror and grief. “The wizard confronted Indis. Asked to take Faramir to Isengard, and I agreed with him.” The Rohir shuddered and quaffed the rest of his drink. “I soundly seconded his plan. I wanted to make myself look fine and wise.” He shuddered again and filled his mug from the sideboard. “I told her she should send the boy with him.” He downed the ale and sat, heavily, upon the settle. “I know not what o’ercame me. He seemed wise.”

Ragnhild leaned into Borondir. “I will never, ever go anywhere near that wizard again. I too approved his plan and told Indis to trust him. Trust him with Faramir!” She began to weep again.

Borondir held her closely. “So this wizard is not to be trusted.”

“He has a honeyed voice,” Ragnhild whispered. “I heard it and thought how wise, how wonderful he is. I would have gone with him, if he asked it of me.” She buried her face in her husband’s tunic. “Indis will never trust me again. Will never speak to me again.”

“Was she so affected?”

“Nay.” Éomund looked up in wonder. “She listened to Curunír and to what Ragnhild and I said, but she did not accept his plan. She said she would think upon it. Then she left the room. The wizard was angry,” the Rohir shivered. “Very angry. I could feel fear run up and down my arms. As if I faced a hundred Orcs by myself.”

“Let us take another moment and then go to Indis. My dear heart, she will forgive you. The woman is wise and compassionate. You will give her your apology and let her decide whether your position remains as counselor. And whether you are still friends.”

”I will. I will tell her to release me from my vow to counsel her. And beg her to accept my apology. I will…”

“Yes,” Borondir said quietly, kissing her gently upon the forehead. “What ere you deem necessary to speak. Let your heart speak, my love. She will listen. When I failed her, when I let Faramir be lost, she held me and comforted me. When I should have been comforting her. We are all weak. She understands. Let us to her now, if you are able.”

“I am.” She rose and held his hand.

“I will come with you, if you will allow it. I must offer my own apologies. I feel as weakened as a newborn foal before it drinks its first milk. I am shamed.”

“Nay,” Borondir’s voice was hard. “Neither of you has shame to bear. This is a wizard we speak of. And a foul one at that. Long ago I remember Lord Denethor denouncing wizards. He knew this one from the time he was a boy and would not be alone with him. He feared Curunír. You have naught to be shamed of, except if you do not confront this and convey your sorrow to Indis. Therein will lie your honor.”

Éomund nodded and followed them out of the guest quarters and up two flights of stairs to Indis’ rooms.

Balan was nowhere to be seen and Borondir’s heart quailed. ‘No guard on her door. How can this be?’ He pulled the bell and a servant opened the door. “We wish to see the Lady Indis.”

The servant nodded, but closed the door, not inviting them in. Ragnhild’s tears began again. “Indis has already informed her servants that I am no longer welcome.”

“Nay. Some other thing has happened. There is no guard on the door.”

Éomund looked around at that bit of information. He had been thinking about the wizard and his response and had not noted. “‘Tis not a good sign.”

In another moment, Borondir would have crashed through the door, but the servant opened it before he was able to act. “Regent Indis will see you now.”

They followed her into the room. Indis stood and greeted them; her pinched smile made Ragnhild sob and rush forward. “Forgive me, Indis. I know not where my mind was.” She threw herself at Indis’ feet and sobbed.

“Stop this, friend, and stand.” She gently helped Ragnhild up.

Borondir, however, could not wait for the greetings to be done. “There is no guard on your door. I will stand there until one is ordered.”

She nodded, pleased, and watched him leave. Turning once again to Ragnhild, she held her friend’s hand and led her to the settle. Motioning to Éomund to sit also, she strode to the bell and pulled. None spoke. “Ask the Warden of the Keys to attend me,” she ordered the servant and then sat next to Ragnhild. “Tell me what you remember.”

Ragnhild sighed. “I would rather not look at that moment again, but if it will ameliorate my folly, then I do it gladly.” The leech of Rohan went over each moment and her impressions of the wizard and her own response. By the time she was done speaking, she was sobbing.

“Thank you, Ragnhild. I felt an evil there but I could not understand what had happened to you. I am relieved to know that you were under some spell. And you, Éomund? Was it the same for you?”

“It was, much to my shame. I was a pawn in his hands.” The Rohir stood and strode back and forth in the small chamber. “I wanted to appear wise. That seemed so very important.”

Indis nodded. “It is as my brother once told me. The first time he met the wizard, he wanted to be accepted by him. My father was not an easy man; Denethor grew up craving acceptance. Thankfully, the next time they met, he knew the wizard’s wiles and my brother stood firm. So, you both now see that you can be released from his spells and know the truth. Now that you have this knowledge, you will be stronger, if again you meet him.” She smiled warmly and took Ragnhild into her arms. “Naught this small could separate us, dear friend. Your counsel will be wiser from this encounter.”

Ragnhild returned the embrace. “You will not send Faramir to Isengard?”

Indis laughed. “Nay. I have already set plans in motion to protect my nephew. Borondir will be needed for a time. I am sorry, dear friend, to ask once again for your husband’s presence on a mission, but it is serious. Once the wizard has left Minas Tirith, nay, Gondor, I will tell you all. Éomund, will you return with him to Isengard?”

“I think not. He is very angry with me.” The Rohir smiled. “Very angry.”

“Then watch your back, dear friend. You are well loved by all here in Minas Tirith, but especially by Faramir. I do not trust the wizard and you and your people are closer to his influence than we of the White City.”

“I will, my Lady.” He smiled shyly. “It is time I returned to Aldburg and spent some time with my wife. It has been a year of separation. I would hold her once again.”

“I think that wise, young Éomund. Your king, and her father, would deem it well and good. Is there a way that you can warn Théoden of the wizard’s wiles?”

“I think not. Not openly. Théoden is wise and strong. He will see through the wizard and keep the Mark safe. I will watch though,” his brow furrowed. “I will watch.”

“That is all we can do. I would bid you leave tonight, if possible. Stay as far from the wizard as you might. Unless you had promised him you would return with him?”

“Nay. I did not. I will leave this night.”

“Then, I bid you go to Listöwel’s quarters and speak with her for a moment, before you leave. She is fond of you.”

“Thank you, my Lady. I will go and pack now.” He moved to embrace her, then stopped. “What will you do with the wizard?”

“As I said, plans have been set in motion. When the wizard comes to me, I will be encompassed round with friends and knights. He will be told Faramir will stay in Minas Tirith. What he does after that is his own doing. I will be protected, my friend.” Indis smiled warmly and embraced the Rohir. “You have been a good and faithful friend these past months.” Tears, unbidden, flowed down her cheeks. “All of Gondor hails you for your bravery. Remember that you have my love as Regent of Gondor and the love of her Steward, but more than that, you have the love of Indis, simple lady of Gondor, and the love of a little boy.”

Borondir had been relieved by another soldier and entered the room. He stood to the side and waited.

Indis watched as the Rohir's eyes misted. "Ever will I be loyal to you, my Lady, and to Faramir. You have my love."  He held her closely for many moments, then kissed her forehead, nodded to Ragnhild, and left the room.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List