Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Thirty-Six - Enchantments and Spells

Faramir loved the easy rhythm of the River. It always enchanted him. They were almost to the mouth and he knew the Bay itself could be quite fierce. He and Targon leaned over the side of the boat and watched as the bow sliced through the gentle whitecaps. “If the River had been like this the morning I fell in, I could have easily swum to the banks.”

He shuddered and Targon put an arm around his shoulders. “It was quite an adventure. I wish I had been with you.”

“You only wish you had seen the eagle.”

“It was huge, was it not?”

“Honestly, Targon, I was so afraid and so cold and so tired, that I hardly noticed it.” He shivered again. “I thought it was the beast that had attacked me earlier. I was too afraid to even see it, ‘cept at the last minute as it flew away. I wish I could have thanked it.”

“Did you see where it flew to? Perhaps we can find its aerie and then you could thank it.”

“Nay. I only saw it fly… It did fly towards Mindolluin. It would not have its aerie on the Pelennor, would it?”

“I think not. Eagles like mountains or really huge trees. Nothing like that on the Pelennor.”

“Good.” Faramir smiled, the last hint of fear leaving him. “When we return, I will ask Borondir if he will accompany us. We can climb to above the flats, that place where sometimes the men camp, and then watch and see if we can see where it has its nest.” His smiled broadened. “Targon, I am forever in the eagle’s debt; ‘twould be fine to at least thank him.”

“Him. Do you think it is a him?”

“I know not. Are the females as large? Could one have dragged me to the banks?”

“It would seem your rescuer was a male, then. Do you really think Borondir will take us?”

“Take you where?”

“Borondir!” Both boys cried out. “You surprised us.”

“And you were not following my orders. You stand a little too close to the edge for my liking.”

They both stepped down. “We want to find Faramir’s eagle,” Targon blurted out.

“Ah. Upon Mindolluin?”

“Yes. That is probably where he has his nest. Would you take us when we return home?” Faramir waited with baited breath.

“I think not. Winter comes early to the mountain. It will be snowing on the peaks before we return. In the spring?”

Faramir sighed. “I suppose we will have to wait till then. Oh! That is too late. I will be going to Lossarnach in the spring, for Ethuil.”

“Well, then, perhaps when you return? Did Strider give you a date for your return?”

“Nay.”

He was interrupted by the shouts of the sailors as the mouth of the Anduin was spotted. “Go below deck now, boys, whilst the men do their duty. Going from the River to the Sea is dangerous work. I know you would love to watch, but I think it best if you are not under foot.”

“Nuisances!” Faramir laughed. “Come, Targon, even though I am Steward, I am being dismissed.”

~*~

“Is she well? Has a spell been cast upon her?” Listöwel stroked Indis’ hand. “What has happened to her? Send for Siriondil!”

Balan and Húrin knelt in front of the Chair. “We will wait,” the Warden said, “until Siriondil arrives. I will not move her.”

Listöwel nodded. The guards had formed a protective barrier around the Chair, though many were distraught. All had heard the honeyed words of the wizard and wondered what could have caused such a reaction from their Regent. As minutes passed, looks of wonder appeared upon many a warrior’s face. Whispering began.

“Stay your tongues,” Balan said quietly. “You now know why we encircled the Hall. The wizard is cunning. He has cast spells before. Your presence helped protect our Regent. Be not alarmed. You know her courage. She is only exhausted; she is under no spell.”

The men visibly sighed and shifted uncomfortably.

Húrin shuddered. It seemed to him that Indis’ current state mirrored the one Faramir had just been released from. There was no healer from the North here to help her. Though, and his mind flew to the tale Faramir had told them, perhaps he still was in Ithilien. Hampered by a wounded foot, it would take awhile, even with two Elves bearing him, to reach the borders. ‘I best send riders now, to find him and bring him back here.’

“What are you thoughts, my Lord?” Balan asked.

Taking a deep breath, the warden sighed. “I will send riders to northern Ithilien to look for Strider. He must be brought back. He helped Faramir, he can help Indis.”

“You said she is under no spell.”

“I said that to assuage the men’s fear. Her face mirrors Faramir’s whilst he was under the spell. We cannot dally; the Ranger must be found quickly.”

“Give the healer a moment to assess her. He took care of Faramir whilst the lad was under the spell. He would be better able to tell us if she suffers the same fate.”

“A good thought.”

A moment later, Siriondil entered the Great Hall. He knelt at Indis’ side and held her hand. “Tell me quickly what happened.”

Húrin took but moments to relay the details. The healer nodded. He lifted an eyelid and scrutinized her eye, then he laid his head upon her chest. After many minutes, he lifted his head and looked at the Warden. “She is under no spell. At least, not the spell that held Faramir. Though,” and here Siriondil looked hesitant. “I can not say for certain. I have not encountered spells before. If Ragnhild were here, mayhap she could ascertain the cause for Indis’ oblivion.”

“Then it is settled. I will send for the Ranger.”

“Strider? He is in the City?”

“Nay. He travels in Ithilien, but he must be notified quickly, ere he leaves our lands.” He rose and motioned. A soldier stood forward. “Bring an errand-rider to me immediately.” The soldier saluted and ran from the Hall.

“Faramir?”

Instantly, Húrin knelt. “Indis!”

She blinked a number of times, then licked her lips.

“Water!” the healer shouted.

When she had taken a sip, she leaned back into Listöwel’s arms. “Thank you. I am sorry. I seem to have succumbed.” She shook her head as tears fell. “I thought I was stronger.”

“Is there a spell upon you, my Lady?” Húrin asked quietly.

She laughed, then closed her eyes. “I think not, dearest cousin and friend. Only exhaustion. I had not known how much effort it takes to combat a wizard. My brother never told me.” Her brow furrowed, “Though I should have remembered. There was one time when Denethor collapsed in my arms. He had to be carried bodily into his chambers; however, he was but a boy of twelve or thirteen at the time. I wish I knew then what I know now. I could have been of more help to him.”

She bent her head and pinched the area between her brows. “I am exhausted. Would you help me to my chambers?”

Balan quickly put a hand under her right arm. Húrin did the same on her left side.

“I would not be carried. I do not want our men’s concern to be too great for them. And,” she smiled, “I would keep their regard for me.”

“Naught a wizard could do would wound their regard for you, dearest Regent,” Listöwel whispered. “They think you are a Vala come east.”

Indis laughed again. “I would prefer not being thought of as a Vala if I could walk out of here under my own power, but that is not to be.” She turned towards the men. “Thank you for your service this day. You are dismissed.”

The men cheered, loudly, saluted and left the Great Hall.

Listöwel smiled. “You see? Ever have you their loyalty and love, dearest sister-friend.”

Indis slowly collapsed into the arms of her Warden and her guard. “I have not the strength to stand.”

Balan took her in his arms and carried her from the Hall to her own rooms. Gently, he lowered her upon the settle in her office. Listöwel quickly brought a comforter and placed it over her legs; Húrin brought a glass of stiff whiskey. She drank it, gratefully, then leaned back. “Thank you. I must rest a bit.”

Balan returned to his place by the door. Listöwel sat in the chair opposite her friend and accepted a glass of brandy from Húrin. He sat on the windowsill and looked out. “I wonder how Faramir is and where he is?”

“I wonder where the wizard is.” In alarm, Listöwel stood. “Balan!” The guard was by her side immediately. “Did any send a watch upon the wizard? To make sure he left the City? Left the Pelennor?”

“Rangers were sent, my Captain. They know how to follow in silence. Though it would be difficult to shadow a wizard, no matter the skill. I have not had a report back, as of yet. I hesitate to leave you unguarded.”

“Nay,” she rang the bell pull. When the servant, Forleaswyn, entered, she bid her send for an errand-rider. The girl nodded and withdrew.

“We shall have word soon. I should have sent a company with him as an honor guard. That might have misled him into thinking we were suitably enthralled by him.”

“Nay. It is best, I think,” Húrin ventured a guess, “for him to think he has us so besotted that we give him free rein of the realm.”

“Ah,” Listöwel smiled. “A good thought. Thank you, Balan. You may return to your post.” The warrior nodded and stood, once again, by the door.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List