Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Forty - Turmoil All Around

“So he was right,” Ragnhild muttered.

Indis turned towards her counselor. “I do not know of what you speak.”

“It is naught,” Ragnhild’s eyes shifted towards Listöwel.

Indis watched Ragnhild closely, wondering at the change in her friend’s countenance. “Is there aught amiss? Something that occurred in Dol Amroth that has not been reported to me?”

“Nay. I merely spoke with a few of Adrahil’s counselors. They bid me…”

“What?”

“They bid me take care of my own needs, else they be wiped away by the needs of Gondor.” A sharp laugh startled her. Indis eyes were bright with anger.

“We should all take care, but Gondor already owns my everything. Are you bitter?’

“Nay! But I would be by my husband’s side!”

“Ragnhild. Would you think I would ask you to stay here whilst he battles our foes alone? Why would you think such a thing? Borondir will be gone many months; I would not expect you to stay here at court whilst he is in Tarnost.”

“You said naught about my accompanying him.”

“You did not give me much chance, Counselor.”

“Then I beg your forgiveness. I have not unpacked yet, from the trip to Dol Amroth. Might I be excused to pack for Tarnost?”

“Go. Though I ask that Borondir and you join us for this evening’s daymeal.” Indis studied her friend carefully, “but if you must needs stay way, I will understand.”

Ragnhild looked up and blushed. “Faramir has a surprise ready for you. I would not have the lad think I did not care for him.” Her mouth grew grim. “I have come to love him very much.”

Indis smiled. “Then go and do what you must. We will see you at the feast.”

Ragnhild saluted and left.

Indis turned in bewilderment to Listöwel. “I do not understand her… anger? What happened in Dol Amroth, Listöwel?”

“Naught. Though Borondir spent a considerable amount of time with Faramir and Ragnhild was left on her own quite a bit. She spent much time with Adrahil’s counselors. I thought she was enjoying herself, but sometime in the last few weeks, she has become sullen.”

“This feels more than sullenness. There was no sign of the wizard in Dol Amroth, was there?”

“Nay! Prince Adrahil knows of your misgivings about Curunír. He would have let us know. I… Indis, did you speak much with Ragnhild after the wizard left Gondor?”

“I did not. That very night, you took Faramir south. Did you speak with her during the voyage?”

“I did not. She suffered sickness, of the sea. She kept mostly to her cabin.”

“Listöwel, please find Mithrandir and ask him to join me at his earliest convenience.”

Listöwel shivered. “I will. Do you think… she cannot be under a spell, can she?”

“I know not. She was taken by the wizard’s words. I must speak with Mithrandir before I can make any sense of this.”

“She is our sword-sister and sister-friend.”

“I know that. Please, leave me for now.”

Gondor’s Captain-General nodded, gave Indis a quick hug, and left her.

Much as Indis might have hoped, she did not have a moment to ponder the uneasiness that filled her with Ragnhild’s behavior, for Faramir burst into the room, laughing as the wizard who followed him, blew smoke rings into the room.

“Look, Amma, Mithrandir is here!”

She could do naught but laugh herself. Faramir brought light and joy into any room; it seemed all shadow from the last year was wiped from him. “Sit, the both of you, and tell me what you have been about.”

After an hour’s listening to adventure after adventure by the shores of the Sea, Indis raised her hands. “I can bear no more such tales. I must go away to Dol Amroth this very moment and see what you have seen.”

Faramir beamed. “I will come with you and show you everything. But, what time is it? I have things that I must do for the daymeal.” He jumped up when Indis told him the time. “I must be off. I cannot leave… The cooks… Targon… I must go, Amma. May we have the daymeal in Merethond? I have invited a few friends. If you do not mind?”

“You are Steward, Faramir. The feasting hall is yours. Do with it what you will. Though I am most curious now.”

“I cannot tell you anything, but it will be such fun.” He ran forward and hugged her. “Mithrandir is coming too!”

“For that I am glad. Well, get yourself off and do what you must. I will see you in the feasting hall.”

He ran from the room, poor Valanestel trying to keep up with him.

“He is growing into a fine lad. Is he the reason you sent for me, Indis?”

“He is… was. It seemed there might have been some spell upon him." She sat and slumped in her chair. “Thorongil, I thought, had saved him, but he was listless and barely ate. I was overjoyed that he was awake and aware, so I hardly noticed it at first. Then, he grew paler and thinner, and I began to suspect that the enchantment that Thorongil thought was upon Faramir, had returned. Though how, I could not say.

But he was lost, a little over a month ago, in Ithilien. I know,” she waved a hand in distress, “Borondir took him on a fishing trip, to take his mind from thoughts of Théodred, who had left us, and Boromir, of course. The boy was attacked by a badger and fell into the Anduin. He was lost for over a week. Thorongil found him and saved him. From what Faramir tells me of his time with the Ranger, there was a ritual or some such, with Thorongil’s two Elvish brothers – do not ask me how that is – and Faramir, it seems, was totally released from whatever assailed him. He returned healthy and happy and with a voracious appetite.”

The wizard puffed steadily on his pipe. “Did Thorongil write to you telling you of this?”

“Nay. I think our men found Faramir before Thorongil had a moment to write a missive. He could not let himself be found by our men. They would have tried to crown him king or some such. You know many remember him well from his years of service to my father. He said he is not ready, the last time we spoke. Speaking of Thorongil… is the Crown rightly his?”

The wizard’s brows barely lifted, but enough to make Indis’ conjectures rise even further.

“Thorongil is his own man. Did he tell you he is Gondor’s King?”

“Of course he did not! Blast you, Mithrandir. You are as circumspect as ever. If he is King, why does he not? Never the mind. I remember his words. We are not ready, or he is not ready, or some such. But I tell you this, I weary of this Rod. And I have only held it a short time.”

The wizard smiled at her, kindly. “You hold it well. I think you should consider it yours for many a long year, Indis. What are your plans for Faramir?” he easily changed the subject.

“Hiding him from wizards takes the highest priority!” she quipped.

He laughed loudly and long, then took another puff and sent the smoke to the ceiling.

She quickly stood and opened a window. “I have heard tales that you can make the air in a room unbreathable with that thing! Is it part of the tricks of a wizard?” Her brow furrowed and her eyes saddened. “Mithrandir, now that the danger seems lessened for Faramir, I would ask your opinion.”

“I will do what I can to answer your questions.”

“The voice of Curunír. I have felt its gentle touch and almost been consumed, nay, overwhelmed by it. Yet, I was able to combat… That seems a strange thing to say, does it not, fight against a voice! Yet I saw Éomund and Ragnhild succumb to it and speak words they would never have uttered before. If – this is difficult – if a person listens and succumbs, does the enchantment stay with them?” Another puff or two of smoke and Indis was ready to scream.

At last, the wizard spoke. “There are powers within each wizard to be used only for good. Something has happened to my old friend, and, though I believe he has all good intentions, it seems he looks to the end to justify his uses of his power. Yes, Indis, to be blunt, if a person has succumbed, they can be held in a wizard’s grasp. Who do you suspect?”

Tears began to slowly slip down her cheeks. “My friend, Ragnhild.”

“The Rohirric healer? Your counselor?”

“Yes.”

“I suggest you send her away for a time. Perhaps she will heal and be freed. I will discuss this with Curunír. Feel him out.”

“Thank you. I am sending her to Tarnost with her husband. There are still some pockets of treachery in Lebennin. I hope to rout it out.”

Mithrandir sighed. “Treachery is our oldest enemy, Indis. Keep a watch.”

She nodded.

“Now. What are your plans for Faramir?”

She laughed and launched into the tale of the river and the trip to Dol Amroth and Faramir’s becoming Thorongil’s esquire. Soon, it was time to prepare for the daymeal. The wizard excused himself and she went into her dressing chamber, washed and dressed in a fitting, celebratory outfit.

As she walked into the hall, she rejoiced at the faces of her friends, her captains and the lords of Gondor. All faithful friends, she hoped. Except, perhaps… She stopped those thoughts. Ragnhild looked happy, seated next to Borondir. Faramir, of course, sat in the Steward’s chair and smiled when he saw her. She quickly moved forward and took her seat.

Faramir stood. “It is good to be home again. Truly home with family and friends, loyal comrades, devoted lords. Your Steward thanks you for your every kindness this past year. I vow never to fall into a river again.” He stopped and waited for the gentle laughter to subside. “I promise to visit Dol Amroth only once every other day.” More laughter stopped him. “And I promise to be the leader that my father strove to make Boromir.” Hushed silence and bowed heads greeted these words. After a moment, Faramir continued, “I have brought a present back from Dol Amroth, something that I hope you will enjoy this evening.” He clapped his hands and the servants brought forth huge trays of bright red crabs. The assemblage clapped in delight and Indis smiled broadly.

“Tomorrow, Amma, I would spend time with you and discuss my duties. I would also like to meet with my captains. Would that be possible?” He spoke over the din of dishes and hearty laughter and deep conversations.

“Yes. After tonight’s meal, we will meet in my study with Listöwel. I have not received the official report of your visit yet. After that, you and I will rest for the night and meet to break our fast. At that time, we will discuss Gondor. I would have Húrin join us as well as Listöwel.”

“And Borondir and Ragnhild,” he reminded her.

“Faramir. There is some unrest in Tarnost. I am sending Borondir and Ragnhild, on the morrow, to Lebennin. They will need their rest this night, for I would have them leave at first light.”

The boy nodded. “Very well. You will tell me, tomorrow, what sort of trouble there is in Lebennin?”

She smiled. “I will, my Steward.”

“Good. Then let this matter rest for the nonce and let us enjoy the feast.” He stopped, a look of chagrin upon his face. “You do like crab, do you not, Amma?”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List