Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Forty-Nine – A Moment In Time

“You will be eighteen on your birth day next, Faramir. This will be the last time we will meet as knight and squire. Your aunt has written stating she will resign as Regent on Mettarë. You will begin full duty as Steward.” Aragorn tightened his horse’s strap. “You have done quite well these past years.”

The young man looked up from his own horse, blushing at the compliment and trying to ignore it. “Will we not see each other again?”

“I know not what fate will allow. I believe we will meet; I hope we will, Faramir, but after this last trip, our paths will go separate ways for a time.”

“Where do we go now? We met at Amon Dîn instead of Lossarnach and are headed north. I hesitated to ask before, but now that you speak of our trip, I would ask.”

Aragorn smiled. “I will keep it a secret for a bit longer. You would not be able to concentrate, if I told you, and we both know we must focus when in the wild. Speaking of which, where is Malthen?”

“Off to find a rabbit, I suppose.”

“Rabbit stew for the daymeal. Good.” He mounted his horse and waited for Faramir.

The Steward finished checking his own saddle, then mounted. Giving a sharp whistle, he held his arm out. In only a moment, his eagle landed on the gauntlet. ‘No sign of rabbit,’ Faramir sighed. He clicked and followed Strider, chuckling at the lack of a path to follow. “Do you ever travel where there is a road?”

Aragorn laughed out loud. “Sometimes.”

For two days they traveled north; after that, they turned northwestward. Strider led, but Faramir did all the duties of trail master. Finally, on the twentieth day out, as they entered the Wold, Aragorn stopped. “I suppose now is as good a time as any to tell you – we are going to spend the next month in Lórien.”

Faramir almost fell off his horse. “The land of the Golden Wood? Of the Elves?” He swallowed hard.

“Indeed. As Steward, you should meet the Lord and Lady of the Wood. In the distant past, they were allies of your kin.”

“Even of Mardil Voronwë?”

“Further back, Faramir, for all Númenóreans are descended from Elros.”

The young man sat in awe. “I… I have always… Elves, Strider, Elves.”

The Ranger laughed heartily. “Yes, Faramir, Elves.”

Taking a steadying breath, Gondor’s Steward stood up in his stirrups and shouted, “Then what are we doing sitting here? Let us be off!” He snapped his reins and Elenna jumped forward. Faramir could hear Strider laughing in the background, but he cared not; his joy knew no bounds.

~*~

“I fail to see why you continue to ask, ‘Are we there, yet?’ I said, ere we stopped, in another day or two,” the Ranger quipped. “In another day or two.” But he too was anxious to be in the Golden Wood – and not to see the Lady Galadriel. His smile mirrored the young Steward’s.

“You said ‘another day or two’ four days ago.” Faramir’s grin broadened at the obvious impatience of his traveling companion. “Are you sure we are going in the correct direction?”

Aragorn could no longer hold back his laughter. “When Anor rises tomorrow, we will be at her borders.”

Faramir breathed a sigh of relief and settled himself in his bedroll. “Thank you.”

Aragorn stood to bank the fire and stopped at the imperious voice that called aloud.

“Daro!

Standing as still as one of the marble statues in the Great Hall, Aragorn motioned for Faramir to follow suit. The Steward did as he was commanded.

“I love it when a Man knows when to be silent.” A soft chuckle accompanied the words.

“Haldir of Lórien,” Aragorn said and strode forward, arms outstretched. “Too long has it been.” Firmly held in the tall Elf’s arms, the Northerner smiled.

“You have the favor of the Lady, Aragorn son of Arathorn, but who is this one you bring with you? He is not known to us,” the Elf replied.

“Haldir,” Aragorn stepped back, “may I present Faramir, son of Denethor, who has passed from this world. Faramir is Ruling Steward of Gondor.”

“We have not had dealings with men of the South since the Dagorlad. Would you have us accept him?”

“I will make my explanations to the Lady of the Wood, Haldir.”

The Elf quirked an eyebrow but said naught.

“Would you join us? We have finished our meal, but there is still ale.”

The Lórien Elf chuckled. “You know me better, Ranger. I would not drink of that… Forgive me, Lord Faramir, I am sure the ales of Gondor are quite good.”

Aragorn laughed aloud. “But your palate is not agreeable to their taste.”

“I have wine.”

“Dorwinion?” Aragorn’s voice contained much hope.

“Nay. You will not find that vintage in the hands of a Marchwarden. I am sure, when you join us at Caras Galadhon, it will be offered to you. You are planning on visiting the Lady’s realm?”

“We are. I had sent a missive three months ago,” Aragorn’s brow furrowed, “but have not received a reply. My time is short and I could wait no longer.”

Haldir nodded. “Orc activity has increased. I have not heard of a messenger from Gondor arriving.”

“Nay. I sent it from… It was carried by a friend. I hope no harm has come to him.”

“I will send out a patrol; we will find him.”

“My thanks,” Aragorn held his hand to his heart in salute. “Now, join us and tell me what you have been about. Your brothers, are they well?”

“Indeed.” The two began speaking as old friends do and Faramir sat back, relishing the sight of an Elf and the sound of pure Sindarin. Eventually, he fell asleep.

~*~

“Lady Galadriel, may I introduce Lord Faramir, Steward of Gondor.”

Faramir stood as if his feet were entrenched in the muddy flats of Pelargir. His face blushed red and his fingers twitched. He knew she saw it all, knew it all, but there was naught he could do; he was transfixed by her beauty. Silently, he cursed Strider for not warning him. When he felt her touch inside him, he writhed and twice-cursed the Ranger. To his chagrin, he discovered she ‘heard’ the curses. He could do naught but apologize.

Her laughter rang through the – talan, that is what Strider called it – and it took his breath away. More beautiful than any bells he had ever heard. He felt her gracious acceptance of the compliment. Red now covered not only his face but his neck as well. In the midst of it, he realized she had stepped forward and gently taken his chin into her hand. Tears filled his eyes as he felt her healing touch course through him. ‘Mithrandir held your father in high esteem, Faramir,’ he ‘heard’ her say. ‘His loss is grievous to all. Your mother, I am told, mirrored Nimrodel’s grace and beauty.’ By now the tears were free flowing and his heart felt as constricted as the day Boromir died. “Ah,” she now spoke aloud, “Your love for Boromir reminds me of my love for my brother, Finrod. He also had a noble and generous heart.”

“You lost him?” Faramir mumbled through his tears.

“I have lost all my brothers, but Finrod was special to me.” She bent closer to him. “Do you know it was Finrod who established the first Minas Tirith? So we are kin in more than blood, but in circumstance too.” She smiled a smile so brilliant that Faramir’s knees shook.

“I know a little about him. He befriended men.”

Her smile grew even brighter. “That he did. And should I do any less? Nay.” She straightened and held her hands out wide, “Let all know this - I now befriend Faramir of Gondor.”

Faramir’s knees buckled and Strider caught him before he fell. “One does not usually faint when given such an accolade,” he whispered. At Galadriel’s command, Aragorn brought Faramir to a seat and gently lowered him. “Take a few deep breaths.”

Faramir nodded, but the tears still streamed down his face and his body shook. Galadriel sat next to him and motioned. The talan cleared.

“I have seen into your heart, Faramir, and find it is good and pure. I offer you respite, here in the Golden Wood, for as long as you need it. Spend your time as you will. None will gainsay you. If you wish to speak with me, just come. My guards will let you pass. I… ” She paused for a moment and seemed to delve even further into him. “I have something for you. It came to me when I saw you approaching a fortnight ago.” She nodded and a maid came forward. Galadriel’s back obscured Faramir’s view, so he was taken aback when he saw what the Lady of the Wood held out to him.

“I cannot accept such a gift,” he stammered. The walnut wood of the harp shone; the carvings of leaves, trees, flowers and Elves were exquisite. Hesitantly, he took the pillar in hand and sat it in his lap, then laid the soundchamber against his shoulder.

She smiled. “You hold it rightly. Walnut is a darker wood, not only in looks, but also in tone. I think you will like it better than the cherry ones I have seen men use. The sound is smoother too. Faramir, your spirit sings. This will augment that talent. One of my people is quite gifted in the harp’s use. I have arranged for lessons for the time you stay with us.”

He knelt at her feet. “I cannot thank you enough. There are no words.”

“Then, mayhap, you will write an air that will suffice?”

He nodded. She stood and extended her hand. He quickly kissed it, stood, and followed the suddenly appearing guard.

~*~

Aragorn laughed. “With your coloring, walnut is preferable.”

Haldir joined in the laughter. “Do not tease him, Estel. He is now Elf-friend.”

“I will not tease him” Aragorn sobered. “I have never seen the like of it, Faramir. Not only the harp, but also more than that, the accord the Lady Galadriel has given you. I will leave you now, for a time. I think your first lesson is begun.” He stood aside as a tall, blonde Elf entered their alcove.

“Strider? What of my other lessons? And I am your squire.”

“Your duties as squire are now fulfilled. The Lady’s has supplanted any allegiance you might have owed me. You have been accorded a room in Galadriel’s own talan. If you need me, just find one of the Elves. I will come. For now, I am away with Haldir. He honors me by sharing border patrol for a time. Never fear, we will reach Minas Tirith by Mettarë, at the latest.”

Faramir’s heart burst with joy. “Thank you, Strider. Thorongil. My debt to you will never be paid.”

“Ah, perhaps in time, young Faramir. Perhaps in time…”

~*~

A/N – Elenna – Faramir’s horse’s name – was another name for Númenor; it means Starwards - http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Elenna





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List