Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Last Messenger: A Tale of Númenor  by Fiondil

6: The Intentions of Maidens

As Laurendil followed Elendil into the library, ushering Ercassë before him, they were greeted by Anárion asking his father about Isildur.

"Lord Laurendil was able to bring his fever down, but..." He turned to the Elf, his eyes full of questions and doubt.

"His wounds are very grave," Laurendil said. "Only time will tell. I had to search for his fëa for it had wandered far, but I believe in time Isildur will recover."

Amandil came before Laurendil and bowed deeply. "Greetings again, my lord. I thank you for the care you have given my daerion."

Laurendil bowed to the Lord of Andúnië. "I am a healer, my lord Amandil," he explained. "It is beholden on me to relieve misery in hröa or fëa whenever or wherever I see it."

Amandil nodded. "Nevertheless, we thank you. Come, let us sit and take our ease and we will discuss what needs doing next."

They all gathered around the fireplace, Anárion and Valandil moving additional chairs for all to sit. Drinks were pressed into people’s hands and for a time there was no speech among them. Finally, though, Ercassë could stand it no longer and casting a glance at Elendil she spoke up. "I am glad that thy son recovereth from his wounds, lord," she said stiffly, "but I would fain learn the fate of my brother. Hath Isildur said nothing concerning Fiondil?"

"Nay, child," Elendil said sorrowfully. "He has not. Indeed, I did not even know young Fiondil was missing until this evening. It is thy brother’s fate which we must now discuss."

"I could go to Armenelos and discover what has happened," Valandil volunteered with some hesitation. "I am not so closely watched as you are, Great-uncle, or even my cousins."

"That is true," Amandil said gravely, "but that is not to say that you aren’t watched."

"You would need an excuse to leave Rómenna," Anárion suggested.

Valandil nodded, his eyes hooded as he thought. No one spoke. Laurendil sat and waited. It was not for him to say aye or nay to any plans these Mortals made for themselves. He had delivered his message and as far as he was concerned his duty to the Valar was accomplished. Yet, something about all this did not sit right with him and he thought perhaps there was more for him here. Both Findaráto and Lord Manwë had insisted that he needed to come to Númenórë for closure and he had not yet accomplished that. He wasn’t sure how he would, but for now he was content to allow events to unfold as they would. His primary goal was to leave the island alive.

It was Vandiel who came up with a solution. She sat up straight and gave her brother a faint smile. "Did you not promise me and Ercassë a trip to Khibîlhazid?" she asked, naming a region to the northwest that lay approximately halfway between Rómenna and Armenelos. It was a popular spot known for its therapeutic hot springs and a favorite haunt of nobles and rich merchants alike. Several nobles had lodges in the region, including one owned by the Lords of Andúnië from earlier times when said lords would be in the capital during Council sessions and would escape to the Springs for rest and relaxation. Vandiel had not been to the family lodge since a young girl, though Valandil had been there on occasion with his older cousins.

Laurendil watched Valandil consider his sister’s suggestion, the young Man’s brow furrowed in thought. The Elf was well aware of the geography of the island, for maps had been obtained for him and he had studied them closely while en route to Númenórë. Valandil looked up at his twin and his expression cleared somewhat. "It might just work. I could leave you at the lodge and continue...."

"Nay, brother," Vandiel interrupted. "I will go on to Armenelos with you."

"Vandiel..." her twin started to protest.

"Nay, Valandil," Vandiel insisted. "I will go with you. You will not leave me behind at the lodge to be sent for when you decide it’s convenient for you to do so."

"As will I," Ercassë said quietly.

Valandil stood, his expression edging towards anger. "Are you both insane?" he nearly shouted. "This trip is dangerous enough without you two making things worse. You do not understand what is at stake."

Ercassë jumped up, her eyes dark with fury. "Fiondil is my brother, in case that little detail slipped your memory," she said with thinly veiled sarcasm and all saw Valandil flinch slightly at her tone. "I will go with you and Vandiel. One of us has to make sure you don’t do something stupid."

The smugness and utter feminine certainty in her tone and Vandiel’s own smirk caused Laurendil to laugh out loud. He was reminded of his own beloved Manwen and even his daughter. It seemed that whatever their race, females were very condescending towards their male counterparts, believing them incapable of performing the simplest of tasks without getting themselves killed. Thinking about it he suspected that they weren’t too far from the truth in that belief considering some of the phenomenally stupid things he had done in his own youth.

"The daughters of Men are valiant," Laurendil said to Valandil. "I don’t think you have the mastery here, Valandil." Valandil simply scowled and crossed to one of the windows, looking out onto the dark garden. A waning moon shone fitfully from above as clouds occluded Tilion’s barge.

Elendil gave the Elf a jaundiced look. "You mean, they are reckless." He turned to the maidens. "What you ask is impossible, Cousin, Ercassë. Valandil speaks truly. The journey is very dangerous."

Laurendil gave them all a brilliant smile. "Very dangerous indeed, but impossible? No, indeed not."

Amandil gave him a quizzical look. "What are you saying, my lord? Surely you do not think these maidens should travel to Armenelos? None of the Faithful are safe there. Valandil going will be risky enough, but the risks will multiply if Vandiel and Ercassë go as well."

"I understand," Laurendil said with a sympathetic look at the Mortals, "but I think you would be wise to allow them to go."

"But why?" Elendil asked, clearly perplexed.

Laurendil cast his eyes to the floor, not entirely sure himself, yet the thought of these two maidens, who reminded him so much of his own daughter, going to Armenelos just seemed right. It was not exactly foreseeing, yet it had the flavor of it. He looked up again and the Mortals had to glance away at the Light that shone from the Elf’s eyes. "My heart warns me that it is necessary for them to go."

Amandil sighed, clearly not happy but resigned. "Then, they will go."

"Daeradar, is this wise?" Anárion asked, speaking for the first time since the discussion had begun.

Amandil gave his grandson a wry smile. "When one of the Eldar speaks, daerion, it is best to listen."

"You are wise, Lord Amandil, in heeding my words," Laurendil said gravely. "I pray that that wisdom will save you from what is to come."

Amandil bowed his head to the Elf. "I only hope it will be enough, for me and my people." Then he looked at Valandil, who had turned back to join the rest of them. "When will you leave for Khibîlhazid?" he asked his great-nephew.

Valandil shrugged. "Tomorrow is Tárion," he said musingly.

"Rather precipitous," Elendil interjected. "Yet, time is of the essence. Fiondil’s fate must be learned and if it is possible he must be rescued."

"And how do we convince Lord Ardamir to allow his daughter to leave when his son is still missing?" Anárion added.

Ercassë glanced around the room, then sighed. "I will simply not return home this night," she said quietly. "Perhaps a message can be sent to my ada in the morning informing him that I have gone with Vandiel to Khibîlhazid, not wishing to remain under his roof when he is being so unreasonable."

Amandil frowned. "Your adar deserves better than that from you, child," he chided her gently. "Ardamir is a hard man but he is not cruel and however he may feel about Fiondil he loves you dearly and running away may well break him. It will certainly devastate your naneth."

Ercassë reddened at the reprimand and would not look at anyone, not even Vandiel, who clasped her hand in sympathy.

"What if Vandiel were to ask for her?" Valandil suddenly asked. All turned to him with questioning looks. "I mean, what if it is put out that my sister has fallen and is confined to bed until her injuries heal and she asks Lord Ardamir to allow Ercassë to attend her best friend?"

"That gets Ercassë out of her adar’s house without disrupting things too much," Laurendil said. "but then what? You still need to leave Rómenna. How will you accomplish that so it looks innocent to those whom we wish to deceive?"

Valandil nodded. "I will announce that I have decided to take my sister to Khibîlhazid to recuperate from her... er... accident, since the Springs are well known for their healing properties." He gave his twin a wide grin and she smiled back. "We can make it a spectacle for the Arandili."

"That solves the problem of getting you three out of Rómenna," Laurendil said, "but it does not get me out. I do not think I should be seen with you when you leave."

"Do not concern yourself, my lord," Valandil replied, his eyes bright with secret mirth. "As I said, I am heir to my daeradar’s titles, estates, and secrets, and daeradar had several of those. There will be a way for you to leave the house undetected."

Laurendil gave the young Man a measured look, then nodded. "I leave the details to you, then, youngster."

"I will have one of my people escort Lady Ercassë home," Amandil said with a smile to the young maiden. "I assume that you are not here with your adar’s blessings, are you child?"

Ercassë shook her head, reddening slightly in embarrassment. "No, lord. I have a way of... of leaving and entering the house without ada or nana knowing. Fiondil..." she stopped for a moment, a slight hitch in her voice, before continuing her explanation. "Fiondil showed me it some years ago when he was... was in the habit of sneaking in and out of the house at all hours."

Amandil nodded. "Then I trust you will have no trouble entering your home unseen." Ercassë merely shook her head again but did not speak.

"What about me?" Vandiel asked, looking slightly amused. "When should I have my... er... accident?"

Valandil chuckled at his twin. "We will return home now ourselves and that will be time enough. I will even send for a healer. Imrahil is one of us," he said, naming one of the Masters of the Healer’s Guild. "He’ll go along with the ruse. Then, if Ercassë is at the house by noon, we can leave shortly thereafter," Valandil replied. "We will indeed spend the first night in Khibîlhazid, then make our way to Armenelos. We can be in the capital by evening three days from now."

Laurendil stood then and gave them all a brilliant smile. "Then, I will go with you to Armenelos, if I may, for my road lies westward."

Valandil merely nodded, silently wondering if the inclusion of one of the Firstborn in this mad escapade would make things better or worse.

****

All words are Quenya unless otherwise noted:

Khibîlhazid: (Adûnaic) Seven Springs.

Tárion: Also called Valanya; the last and chief day of the week in the Númenórëan calendar.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List