Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Last Messenger: A Tale of Númenor  by Fiondil

21: Márienna

They sailed through the day and into the night. The Mortals slept for part of the time, lulled by the motion of the ship and the soft singing of the Elves. Laurendil gave Fiondil some more of his cordial and that seemed to help with his bouts of seasickness. Around noon, Captain Voronwë ordered the ship to head north, eventually turning west by mid-afternoon.

"We’re making good time," he told Laurendil. "Unless something unforeseen occurs we should be at the rendezvous by midnight."

"Very good, Captain," Laurendil replied. "Continue as you see best."

During the voyage it escaped no one’s notice, least of all the Elves, that Fiondil and Vandiel spent most of their time speaking together in low whispers. Valandil’s expression was one of satisfaction while Ercassë’s was more puzzled. Laurendil and Eärnur exchanged amused looks.

The voyage would have seemed dull and interminable had it not been for Calaldundil, who, with the exuberance of all children, pestered the Númenórëans about anything and everything under the sun. Some of his questions were unanswerable by the Mortals or anyone else. How do you really explain to an elfling why Mortals have to die?

"It is Eru’s gift to them," Laurendil finally said to his grandson. "One that we may well envy in time."

Calaldundil scrunched his face in confusion, not sure what his anatto meant but he was too engrossed with the Mortals, once he got over his initial shyness, to let it worry him. The two maidens, especially, intrigued him, perhaps because they seemed more approachable. At any rate, he spent much of his time trailing after them, which was fine with the Elves, especially the sailors.

"If I have to explain one more time why we call this the poop deck," one such sailor commented to Laurendil with a smile, "I’ll be very tempted to throw the little pest overboard. Let someone else deal with his incessant questions."

Laurendil merely smiled, Vorondil looked embarrassed, and Eärnur laughed outright. "Reminds me of a certain elfling I used to know," he said with a wink.

"I wasn’t that bad," Vorondil protested weakly.

Laurendil put an arm around his shoulders and gave him a brief kiss on the forehead. "Nay, you were not... you were much worse."

"Atar!" Vorondil exclaimed in exasperation, but Laurendil and Eärnur merely laughed the more at Vorondil’s put-upon expression.

Laurendil got his fair share of teasing, though, for his hair. "I know why my hair was cut off, but what did you do to warrant such punishment?" Vorondil asked.

Laurendil merely grimaced. "It wasn’t a punishment," he muttered.

"No, it was a lesson," Vorondil supplied with a knowing grin, quoting both the Valar and Lord Findaráto. Laurendil refused to dignify that statement with a reply, probably thinking that his daughter’s husband was closer to the mark than he would like to acknowledge.

By the time the sun was setting to the west they were in sight of land again. Voronwë ordered lamps to be lit, though more for the comfort (and safety) of the Mortals than for the Elves who could see well enough by the light of the stars.

"There was a sighting of a ship further south of us," he told Laurendil when reporting their progress, "but it was too far away for us to be concerned. It will not be able to catch up to us and we lost sight of it soon enough."

Laurendil nodded. "Very good, Captain. I do not want any... encounters with the Númenórëans if we can help it. I trust you and your people to see us safely to our rendezvous."

As midnight approached, all could see Fiondil’s demeanor become more agitated. "Why will you not tell me what plans you’ve made for me?" he asked Laurendil at one point. "Have I not the right to know what my future holds or even to decide for myself what I want to do?"

"And what do you want to do?" Laurendil asked.

"I want to remain here with my family and friends," the young Man replied. "This is my home. Is that so hard to understand?"

"No, it is not," Laurendil said, "but to remain here would be too dangerous, not only for you but for your family."

"But why?" Fiondil exclaimed in frustration. "The Arandili don’t know who I am."

"But they know what you look like and it will not be difficult for them to trace you back to Rómenna," Eärnur supplied, having listened to the conversation.

Fiondil’s expression became mulish. "My only other course is to flee like a coward. I’d rather stay and fight even if it means my death."

Laurendil shook his head. "I do not think there will be any fighting. I deem the days are coming when the only choice will be to flee from the coming downfall. Boromir saw truly, I think, though he gave us no details. Do not think of it as fleeing, Fiondil, so much as it is an opportunity to travel."

"But I get seasick," the poor Mortal practically wailed. "I’ll never survive the trip."

Now both Laurendil and Eärnur laughed. "Fear not!," Laurendil said, "I think, between the two of us," he pointed to Eärnur and then to himself, "we can come up with a remedy for that."

"I find it rather amusing that one who can claim descent from Elros Tar-Minyatur could actually become seasick," Eärnur said with a teasing smile.

"The son of Eärendil is probably spinning in his grave at the thought," Laurendil stated and had the satisfaction of seeing the surprise on both Eärnur and Fiondil’s faces at his use of the expression.

The shouting of the sailors and the heightened activity alerted them that they were approaching the cove where they could see another ship at anchor. By its lines and sail, it was clear that this was a Númenórëan ship.

"Should we be concerned?" Valandil asked as he and the two maidens joined Laurendil and the others at the rail.

Laurendil smiled. "Nay, there is no need. We are expected."

"Expected! By whom?" Ercassë demanded.

"Wait," Laurendil admonished them. "All will be revealed soon."

With careful maneuvering Captain Voronwë and his crew brought the Eäremírë along side the other ship. Then, with a soft word from Laurendil, a dory was lowered and Laurendil, Eärnur and Vorondil climbed down to it, followed by the four Mortals. Soon they were heading to shore with Vorondil and Eärnur rowing. The light of torches flickered on the beach and they could all see some figures standing waiting for their arrival. It wasn’t until they were nearly to shore that any of the Mortals recognized who was there.

"Uncle Amandil!" Vandiel cried out as she espied Lord Amandil standing on the beach smiling at them.

"Welcome, my children, welcome indeed!" he called out as he moved forward to help Vandiel and Ercassë out. Then to Fiondil’s surprise, he took the young Man into his embrace. "I thank the Valar you are safe, child. It would have been a terrible thing if you had been lost to us."

"Th-thank you, my lord," Fiondil stammered. Lord Amandil’s greeting was so different from what he expected he would get from his own atar.

No sooner did Amandil release Fiondil to greet the others then he found himself in another’s embrace. "You crazy, foolish, orc-brained idiot!"

"It’s good to see you, too, Anárion," Fiondil laughed, even as he returned the older Man’s embrace. "And I am not orc-brained. That’s Isildur’s endearing trait."

Anárion laughed in agreement.

"How fares your grandson?" Laurendil asked Amandil.

The Lord of Andúnië shook his head. "He still lies in sickness, but he is no longer fevered. I do not understand what the cause is but he does not worsen so we must trust that someday he will eventually recover."

Laurendil nodded. "The Valar make it so."

"But how do you come to be here, Uncle?" Valandil asked as he gave Amandil his own greeting.

Amandil smiled. "Ah, well, before you left Rómenna, Lord Laurendil and I discussed the possibility that should Fiondil be rescued he would have to leave Númenórë, for it would be too dangerous for him to remain here."

"I asked Lord Amandil to ready a ship for that contingency," Laurendil then supplied, "and we agreed that if all went well we would meet in this hidden harbor."

"But how did you know when to come?" Ercassë asked. "We were forced to go south to Nindamos before Lord Laurendil’s ship found us."

Laurendil gave her a chuckle. "Did I not tell you that we Elves have the ability to speak mind to mind? We can do the same to Men who are open to us and if need drives us, though it is not easily achieved."

"Knowing that Lord Laurendil would send me word," Amandil told them, "I kept myself open to any hint of a message. Two nights ago I woke with a strong urge to leave Rómenna and knew that was the signal I’d been waiting for." Then he gave Fiondil a sad smile. "It is time for you to say farewell, child. This ship will take you to Endórë, to Lindon, in fact, and the court of Tar-Elenalcar himself."

"Surely, this ship isn’t just for my benefit, lord?" Fiondil asked, looking distressed.

Amandil shook his head. "No, it is not. There are others who will journey with you, for they all wish to leave Númenórë. You will not be traveling alone, I assure you."

Fiondil nodded reluctantly, turning to his companions. "I still wish I could remain here, or you could all come with me."

Valandil shook his head. "For us to go with you will bring danger to our families, but I think a time will come when we also must leave Númenórë or perish."

Before Fiondil could respond to that, Vandiel came to his side, slipping a hand into his. "You must leave, Fiondil, but you need not leave alone. I will come with you."

"Vandiel, what are you saying?" Ercassë exclaimed.

Vandiel turned to Fiondil’s sister. "I love Fiondil and I will go with him. You and Valandil need to remain here to protect our families from the king, but it isn’t necessary for me to remain. I will go with Fiondil."

"If you leave, my daughter," Amandil warned her, "you will be exiled from all whom you love."

Vandiel shook her head, gazing lovingly into Fiondil’s eyes. "Not all, Uncle."

Valandil gave Fiondil a wry grin. "Did you know what Vandiel intended, my brother?"

Fiondil shook his head, suddenly shy. "We talked about a future together, but nothing specific, for I knew not what fate had in store for me, yet if she wishes to come with me I will not refuse her."

"Is this what you truly wish, Vandiel?" Valandil asked his sister.

"Yes, Valandil, it is."

"Then you both have my blessing." He took his sister into his embrace and kissed her before doing the same to Fiondil. "But I do not know what your parents will say to all this."

"They will say what they will say," Ercassë answered, embracing Vandiel. "You have my blessing as well, Vandiel, and now I can truly call you sister."

The Elves, who had remained in the background, now came forward, led by Laurendil, who took Vandiel into his embrace even as Eärnur took Fiondil into his. "Your choice is good, Vandiel," Laurendil told her, "for both of you. May the Valar bless you now and to the end of your days. Márienna. We will not meet again."

"Namárië, Eärnur," Fiondil said as Laurendil was making his goodbyes to Valandil and Ercassë. "Thank you for all you did for me."

Eärnur merely smiled. "I did little enough, meldonya, but I am glad that I was there to do it. Áva márië, Fiondil, and take good care of Vandiel. She is very special."

The others continued to say their own farewells. Ercassë hugged Vorondil. "You will tell Calaldundil goodbye for us, won’t you?"

Vorondil smiled. "Yes, I will. I would have woken him but he was quite exhausted and I knew if I did wake him up he would never go back to sleep."

"Then, I suppose it was for the best," Valandil said as he came up to give Vorondil his own farewell. "Otherwise, Captain Voronwë would have one very unhappy crew."

They all laughed at that. Finally, the Elves got back into their boat even as Fiondil was helping Vandiel into the boat that would take them to their own ship. Amandil lifted his hand in benediction. "Namárië, my children. May your lives be full of joy. Márienna, Lord Laurendil. Elen sillë lumenn’ omentielvo."

"Márienna, Lord Amandil," the Elf-lord called out. "Remember my warning. No longer will the Valar come to the aid of the Edain as they did for your ancestors. Sauron is yours to deal with as you will, now and always. Look not to the West for succor, for it will not come."

"Your words are hard, my lord," Amandil replied, "but I will remember them."

The two dories made their separate ways to their respective ships and in a short time sails were being unfurled and the sound of the Elves singing could be heard over the wash of the waves on the shore. Those on the beach watched for a time until the lights of the two ships and the singing faded into the distance.

Amandil turned to the others. "Come, let us go. I have a camp set up further inland where it is more protected. We will spend what is left of the night there and ride to Rómenna in the morning."

Silently the others followed the last Lord of Andúnië, Ercassë quietly weeping in Valandil’s arms as they made their way across the sands.

****

All words are Quenya.

Márienna: Farewell, literally ‘May you go on and find goodness’. An attested phrase used only in 'farewell'. Namárië can be used both as a greeting and as a farewell, much like ‘Shalom’ in Hebrew or ‘Aloha’ in Hawaiian.

Áva márië: Go happily. An attested phrase used only in 'farewell'. The first word should not be confused with the negative particle áva or avá, meaning ‘don’t’.

Elen sillë lumenn’ omentielvo: ‘A star shone on the hour of our meeting.’ A slight variation on the traditional greeting.

Tar-Elenalcar: Quenya version of Gil-galad.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List