Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Cat in King Elessar's Court  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Thirty-Six – The Unthinkable

As the battle raged about us, I watched all those whom I held dear. Elessar, I noted, though well protected, still fought like a wild man. I could see Gandalf wielding his staff next to my King and I took a brief moment’s hope from it. Though not standing next to him, it seemed the sons of Elrond fought only to protect Elessar, for none were able to break through from their side of the battle, nor were able to climb the hill. I was amazed and heartened by that. Éomer and Imrahil stood only yards away from me, their fighting style so different and yet, each was still alive and still fighting bravely. I stood my ground next to Pippin but felt almost totally useless. Once in awhile, I was able to jump upon the head of an Orc, swiping at its eyes, but little good it did. Orcs, it seems, are impervious to cats. 'Why am I even here?' I thought desperately as another Orc shoved me off its face. Pippin was doing an admirable job, parrying and thrusting and killing quite a few of the creatures. In a moment’s respite, he turned to me, smiling. “Let that foul Messenger call us imps! He’ll see what use we are!” My eyes opened wide in surprise and he laughed. “Boromir taught me everything I know! And how to laugh in the face of danger. Oy! Oy!” He just missed being impaled, scrambled under the Orc’s feet, and stabbed the beast in the back. I would have applauded, if able, but my attention was turned as I heard a shout. I looked with horror at the scene before me.

Huge trolls descended upon the Tower Guard. The men ran about, thrusting at them with spears and swords, but to no avail. A troll had stunned Beregond, Faramir’s savior, and now bent over him; its ragged, clawed hand was ready to pull the guard up for the final, fatal bite on the throat. Beregond would surely die. There was no hope. I turned my head in horror, not willing to watch the brave man die. And then, the blessed little Hobbit! Pippin ran past me, stabbed upward, and the troll-chief, with the Westernesse blade sticking in its back, fell.

‘Pippin!’ I screamed and the troll, as it fell forward onto the Hobbit looked up in surprise, blood still flowing from the wound that felled it. ‘Pippin,’ I whispered in horror as I saw the Hobbit squashed under the mass of flesh. The beast was dead; how could I ever move it enough to get Pippin out. ‘He is dead, nonetheless. Nothing I do now can save him.’ My tears flowed and I flinched as I heard Legolas shout, “Ai. Move, Cat, move!” It was too late. The Easterling’s cruel spear impaled my paw. I howled in anguish. The Elf came and slew my attacker, but too late. He left me and ran off to protect Gimli’s back as I fell to my side in agony. ‘I cannot die. No one will know where Pippin is,’ my thoughts reeled about my mind. ‘He will die if they do not find him. Oh Valar! Let him be alive still. Help me stay alive long enough that I might show them where he is.’ The Enemy continued to fall about me, but my mind was black with despair. The Nazgűl reeled overhead and their screams drove me to the brink of oblivion. I fought wildly to stay awake, but soon darkness covered even my dreams.

~*~

A/N - Words of the Mouth of Sauron: "So you have yet another of these imps with you!" he cried. ROTK: Book V: Ch. 10: The Black Gate Opens. RE: the bite to Beregond: 'for these fell creatures would bite the throats of those that they threw down.' ROTK: Book V: Ch. 10: The Black Gate Opens.

for these fell creatures would bite the throats of those that they threw down.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List