Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Rhyselle's Library  by Rhyselle

Tree Duty (a double drabble)

I've been told ever since I was small what an honor it is to be chosen to be one of the Citadel Guards who stand watch over the White Tree.  I couldn't wait to grow up to be big enough to go to the military academy, and to be commissioned so that I could wear the coveted black and silver uniform marked with the White Tree, and the winged helm that hearkens back to ancient Númenor.  My father would take me to see the Tree and would tell me the history of our land; but I only had eyes for the tall, grim-faced men who protected the Tree from any harm.

I grew up, earned my commission, and finally my name came up on the watch list for Tree duty.  I reported to my post, my uniform pristine and my armor shining from many devoted hours of polishing.  I took my place, proud to serve.

By the end of the second hour, standing in the hot summer sun, staring outward, unable to see my four companions even in my peripheral vision, and not allowed to speak to anyone who approaches, I am completely and utterly bored out of my mind.  


A/N:  Back to Middle-earth Month Prompt #2:  
What is the most tedious, routine work that you have to do? Write down a few tedious or routine tasks that you're sometimes required to perform. How does doing routine work make you feel? Would you like to have somebody do it for you?

Now write a story, poem or create an artwork where characters have to deal with tedious jobs.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List