Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Promises Broken and Kept  by Periantari

12 Astron S.R. 1389

Dear Merry,

I miss you very much but Hobbiton is a very lovely place! I live in Bag End, and it’s quite huge, big enough for a lot of our relations to come visit! You can bring Merimac and Berilac and your parents and still, the rooms will not be full!

Bilbo is treating me very well and spoiling me. He gave me one of the biggest rooms in Bag End and every night, he tells me his many stories. I don’t know why Bilbo is so fond of me. He treats me better than I deserve. He gave me a very nice pipe when I first came several days ago. He said that the dwarves made it! He said that it’s my “welcome to Bag End” gift. He cooked my favorite mushroom dish the first day I arrived as well! Tomorrow we’re going to start our first Elvish lesson—I anticipate that it will be very enjoyable. It’s been really nice here, and I wish you were here too!

Merry-mine, draw me a picture—you’ve always been such a talented little artist. What are you doing these days? My dearest Brandybuck, hope you’re doing well. What are you doing these days my dearest Brandybuck? I do hope that you are well and having fun.

Please send your parents my warmest regards.

Your dearest cousin,

~Frodo

“Seems like Frodo is settling down well,” said Esmeralda, after she read the letter to Merry.

“Yes, I know. It doesn’t even seem like he misses me.” Merry gave a pout and frowned. Merry frowned and chewed his bottom lip, pouting. “He didn’t mention missing me at all, and he didn’t say that he’s going to come visit me.”

“Now, now Merry; we should be happy that Frodo is settling down. It ‘should be his choice where he lives, and we love Frodo so we want him to be happy. He’s had more than his share of troubles. Bilbo will treat him well and he deserves that.”

“But how about me? I treat Frodo well and love him too and… and… he decides to leave me!” Merry was angry now and even though Frodo had said that he would visit and write often, Merry didn’t feel like it was enough. “I miss Frodo!” he said as he stamped his feet on the ground.

“Oh poor Merry!Don’t think of it that way, my sweet darling. You know how much Frodo cares for you. Frodo loves you, Merry.” She reached over and drew him into her arms stroking his curls like she had when he had been much younger. “Papa and I are still here for you and that’s what counts, right?”

“But why can’t we all be together? When are we visiting Frodo then?” Merry demanded looking up at her forlornly.

“As soon as the weather clears up; it’s been so rainy lately,” said Esmeralda continuing to run her fingers gently through his honey colored curls as she spoke.

“And it’s so boring indoors,” grumbled Merry.

“Write a nice, long letter to Frodo or go play with Doderic,” suggested Esmeralda. ‘She knew that she would soon be busy preparing dinner and she didn’t want Merry left unoccupied. She worried that he was spending too much time missing Frodo and not enough time with the other children of the Hall.

“But he’s boring; Doderic is such a baby even though he is already three—He’s not as much fun as Frodo! I miss him, Mama.”

“I do too, dear—but keep busy now, and we can plan to visit Frodo soon, all right?”

But instead of following his mother’s advice Merry wandered around Brandy Hall. There was a lot going on, but he still felt lonely. Merry was also frustrated. No one understood how he felt. Everyone seemed to agree that Frodo would be better off living with Bilbo but nobody seemed to understand how much Frodo meant to him.

He walked by the door to an isolated room that essentially was a mix between a guest room and a library. The Brandybucks called this the Second Common Room. The first Common Room was generally filled with family and friends, but this one was mostly forgotten. This might have been because it was at the far end of the hole and not many folks bothered going there. The large, comfortable room had mirrors, large windows, two canopy beds, and three big couches. It had several big closets, which were fun to explore. It was a splendid place to play. Shelves filled with books about Buckland's history, herbology, geography and genealogy cluttered the age-old bookcases. He didn’t understand the books, but he told himself that when he was older, he would try to read them. Frodo was always reading and he wanted to be like Frodo.

This was Frodo and Merry’s special place. Merry and Frodo used to play hide-and-seek because it was so big. They also played other games like jacks and card games. Sometimes they would sleep there and Frodo would tell the best stories about Elves and dragons and dwarves. Even though Frodo had not seen them, he still had an amazing imagination about them. They would pretend that they were camping out and that no one at Brandy Hall knew where they were. This was also the place that Merry went if he wanted to be alone. Frodo always found him there.

Merry sat by a bay window. The rain outside seemed to reflect his feelings. It was rainy now in Astron, indicating the start of the robust planting season. Astron was generally the month when it rained the most and this year was no exception. The weather did not help Merry’s mood. Maybe I’ll run away to Hobbiton and go visit Frodo myself sometime when this icky rain ends. Merry had no idea how far Hobbiton was but his parents had told him that it would take several days by pony.

Staring at the incessant rain pouring down with no end in sight made Merry drowsy. His heart still ached for Frodo even though he’d just read a letter from him. He was slightly jealous that Frodo was having a good time while he was not. He gradually nodded into a deep sleep leaning down upon the window seat and didn’t hear the dinner chimes indicating that dinner was ready.

“Where is Merry?” asked Esmeralda to Saradoc.

“I haven’t seen him since the morning. I thought he would be with you. What is wrong?”

“Usually he’s the first one to come when the dinner chimes ring because he’s so hungry, but I do not see him tonight. I’m worried. I should go look for him.”

“Maybe he fell asleep somewhere,” suggested Menegilda looking up from her plate while attending to Berilac.

“That boy must be getting a nap somewhere,” added Rorimac. “I’ve seen him toss and turn during the night—don’t reckon he’s sleeping that well these days.”

“I know. He tells me he is fine, but I think he’s not sleeping as he should. I will go and find him,” said Saradoc. “He hasn’t been that energetic. He just hasn’t been himself ever since Frodo left three days ago.”

Esmeralda frowned, “I guess I will sleep with him tonight to make sure that he will sleep better. I will come with you to look for him,” said Esmeralda. Esmeralda frowned. “Perhaps I should sleep with him tonight. Then I can make certain that he gets some rest.” Saradoc thought that his dear wife looked as if she could use some rest too but he didn’t say anything. Still looking a bit anxious, Esmeralda said, “I will come with you. We can look for Merry together.”

It took a while for them to find Merry. The Brandybucks knew the Hall well but even so, finding one small lad in such a large place wasn’t easy. Brandy Hall was a vast smial with many rooms, long corridors, closets, and storage areas. Saradoc tried looking in Merry’s room while Esme tried the library. After searching various other locations, they finally found their son in the second Common Room sleeping soundly in a window seat.

“Wake up, dear Merry,” said Esmeralda softly into Merry’s ear as she gathered her son into his arms. “It’s time for dinner.”

Merry opened one eye, then the other, and looked up staring at his parents. They looked worriedly back at him. Groggily, he sat up, but he was still very tired so he leaned back into his mother’s arms.

“A few more minutes, Mama? What time is it?” Merry yawned. He wasn’t quite awake. He seemed to recall that he’d been dreaming about Frodo. In his dream Frodo had been going off on an adventure and had been leaving Merry behind. Merry rubbed his eyes and tried to put the disturbing dream out of his mind.

, “It’s past your meal time, my lad,” said Saradoc. Your mother and I have been searching for you for some time now. Aren’t you hungry?”

“Not really.” Merry said, laying his head upon Esmeralda’s lap.

“But you haven’t eaten since afternoon tea—surely you should eat something. I’ve made your favorite dear, roasted potatoes and mushrooms with garlic!” said Esmeralda, trying to sound cheery.

“That does sound good,” replied Merry, yawning again despite himself.

“Come on! I’ve left some for you still warm in the oven—let’s go get some—everyone’s done already and they’re expecting you. Come on, Merry. I’ve kept your dinner warm for you. Let’s go and eat. Everyone else is probably finished by now. I am certain that they were all wondering where you were, my little scamp.”

“Mama. Carry?” asked Merry shyly. He was seven now and didn’t usually want anyone to carry him, but he was feeling more tired than usual. It seemed that walking was just too difficult at the moment. He looked at his mother with sleepy eyes and sighed.

“All right—but you are becoming a big boy now…this is the last time I’m carrying you, Meriadoc Brandybuck,” said Esme, gathering Merry into her arms and carrying her beloved hobbit-lad.

“Your mother spoils you, Merry—I would’ve said no in an instant,” said Saradoc grinning.

Despite being hungry, Merry didn’t eat much. He had a slight sore throat and could only drink a little bit and only ate half of what Mama gave him. He did not feel refreshed from the nap he had, only more tired than before. Meal time was different without Frodo by his side, telling jokes to him and being mischievous and entertaining even at dinner. He was sleepy, and he missed Frodo.

Merry sighed. I wonder if Frodo even thinks about me now. I wonder if we eat at the same time. I wonder what Bilbo makes. Is it as good as Mama’s food?

And with that thought, he persuaded Esmeralda to bring him to bed for he didn’t want to eat anymore.

"I want to sleep with you, Mama! Please, pretty please?” asked Merry.

“Why, my dear? Are you not feeling well?” Esme put his hand to her son’s forehead. No temperature; that is a good thing.

He was feeling lonely without his best friend and cousin. He wanted to be with his parents in their big, warm bed and to know that they were still there with him.

“You’re a big lad now, but I guess we can accommodate you, but only for tonight. We do not want this becoming a habit,” said Saradoc. He was worried too; Merry wasn’t acting like himself these days. The child spent too much time moping about and not enough time having fun.

“Sleep well, dearest Merry. May you have sweet dreams, my darling lad,” said Esme as she kissed Merry’s forehead and settled into the bed besides him. She placed a protective arm about him and stayed besides Merry as he slowly drifted off to sleep. Meanwhile, Saradoc went to his study and hoped tomorrow would bring a more energetic Merry.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List