Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Promises Broken and Kept  by Periantari


“It all depends on what you want. You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin—to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours—closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo. Anyway: there it is. We know most of what Gandalf has told you. We know a good deal about the Ring… We are horribly afraid—but we are coming with you; or following you like hounds.” ~Merry, “A Conspiracy Unmasked”

27 Halimath, S.R. 1418

Frodo replayed these words in his mind before he went to bed at Crickhollow. He felt fortunate and grateful to have Merry, Pippin, and Sam follow him on the Quest. He remembered he uttered these words to Merry when he had been sick twenty-nine years ago.

Merry had grown into a fine young hobbit over the years. It sometimes seemed to Frodo that Merry had actually matured more quickly once Frodo had left Buckland to live with Bilbo. Although Merry always looked upon Frodo as a role model, the time that Merry had spent on his own had been good for him. Merry was a lover of books like Frodo had been, but he was also more cheerful and could be far more practical than Frodo had ever been. Frodo thought that Merry’s conspiracy was intelligently conducted. There was no question about it. Merry Brandybuck was a great one for planning things. Frodo chuckled softly and smiled. He was very proud of his Merry.

After leaving Buckland, Frodo visited Merry often. He tired to visit him every other weekend and to spend the holidays with Merry. Frodo kept his promises. He was always there for Merry. Frodo not only traveled to Buckland but also to Tookland where Pippin joined them in their adventures. As a bond between the three of them had cemented, Frodo found himself making arrangements to spend time with both cousins.

But would he really allow his young cousins and Sam to go with him to the end? He appreciated their concern and companionship, but he wished with all his heart that they wouldn’t follow him into such danger. Yet he was grateful and could not say no to them for they had done so much for him, and seemed resolute to go forward on the Quest.

Restless, Frodo wandered back to the sleeping quarters of Merry and Pippin and with all his heart blessed them and hoped that this adventure would not change them for the worse but instead that it would make them the wisest, bravest, most resilient hobbits in Middle-earth.

~fin~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List