Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Farmer's Son  by Lindelea

Chapter 26. Offer of Aid

27 September, after second breakfast

As Pervinca was crossing the kitchen with a freshly filled teapot, she glanced out the window and sang, ‘Visitors!’

‘Visitors!’ Eglantine echoed, rising from her place. ‘How many?’

‘Some three,’ came the answer. ‘All on pony-back – looks like the Shirriff, but I don’t know who the other two might be. And they’re leading a pack-pony.’

‘We’ll set three more places then. Nell?’

And that lass jumped up from her place, and quickly laid three more places at table.

‘Nod,’ Paladin said. ‘See to the ponies…’

‘Aye,’ the head hobbit said, laying down his cup and getting up.

‘Ferdi,’ Paladin said next. ‘Is it well with you?’

‘Why does everyone keep asking me that?’ Ferdi said to the air. ‘I’m well! Never better!’

‘That’s good, for I deem the Shirrriff brings with him news that is not so good,’ Paladin said, and he rose from his place and threw down his serviette. ‘Come with me to the yard, lad, and we’ll see what is what.’

Clearly puzzled, Ferdi complied.

Paladin turned at the door to tell the others not to interrupt their meal, but to finish, for there was a full day’s work ahead, and it wouldn’t do to begin with only half a meal to go on.

Eglantine had been hovering, ready to join him in the yard, but at this explicit instruction she sat down instead. ‘Dobby? May I freshen your tea?’ Still, she craned to see out the nearest window, what transpired in the yard.

Paladin and Ferdi joined the arriving hobbits. Shirriff Daw slid down from his saddle, seeming weary – an odd thing, this early in the morning! The others remained in their saddles, waiting. Paladin, Daw and Ferdi walked back to the pack-pony. Daw, talking, lifted the edge of a tarpaulin that covered the pony’s load. Ferdi reeled, and was supported by Paladin. Daw dropped the cover and turned to take Ferdi’s other arm.

There was more talk, amongst the three hobbits, and then Ferdi shook away the supporting hands and stood straight. Eglantine could see his lips form the words, I am well. Indeed, I am. Paladin urged him towards the smial, along with Daw. One of the mounted hobbits got down from the saddle and, together with Nod, lifted the burden from the pack-pony and carried it towards the barn. A bulky burden it was, too, as big as two saddles, Eglantine thought with a chill, along with blankets and bridles.

‘We cleaned it all well,’ Daw was saying as they entered the smial. ‘It took some scrubbing, but you’ll find it all almost as new… It was the least we could do, Ferdi, and that sorry I am…’

‘The both of them?’ Ferdi said, as if he couldn’t quite take it in. ‘Both… dead?’

‘Run wild, evidently,’ Daw said. ‘From all the marks we found, they were in a panic of some kind or other. Do you really not remember how you came to be on the top of that hill?’

Ferdi shook his head in bewilderment. ‘I honestly do not,’ he said. ‘And now – you tell me the ponies were not atop that hill? We climbed on our own two legs, is that what you’re saying?’

Daw shook his head, exchanging glances with Paladin. ‘I think you rode up the hill,’ he said. ‘Somehow, at the top, you and your ponies parted company. Did they spook at something, I wonder? Ponies can take fright at the simplest thing… blowing leaves…’

‘There were no trees atop that hill,’ Paladin said.

‘A bird of prey,’ Daw said. ‘An owl that flew into their faces, perhaps.’

‘I’ve never known an owl to do such,’ Ferdi said.

‘But it might have been,’ Daw said stubbornly. ‘And if the two of you were thrown, as your ponies ran away,’ he continued, feeling his way, ‘to their doom, well, you might’ve made a fire and rolled up in your cloaks…’

‘Had I been thrown, I should be stiff and sore,’ Ferdi said. ‘Had I hit my head, and needed to lie myself down, would my head not be aching still? No, Daw, there’s more to this than we know.’

Paladin met Eglantine's eyes and nodded slightly. Ferdi had the right of it, though of course, he couldn't know how suited his sentiments were, not yet, anyhow, and perhaps not for some days. The old healer had urged caution in acquainting Ferdi and Tolly with all the events of the past few days, at least until they were fully back to themselves, with their energies completely restored. So long as Ferdi showed any signs of lingering weakness, as he had just now in the yard, they would protect him, so far as they could.

Ferdi shook his head and sighed. ‘Two fine ponies, gone in one night. They were nearly ready for the sale… It’s a hard blow.’

‘I’m that sorry, Ferdi,’ Daw said again.

‘Well, it cannot be undone,’ Ferdi said, ‘and I thank you for saving the harness, at least. Though I might never be able to use it again without a quiver. Perhaps I’ll sell the gear and buy some new.’

‘That might be a good idea,’ Paladin said. ‘Some memories are not worth the keeping.’

‘I wish I had some memories for the keeping,’ Ferdi said under his breath, but as he was passing behind Eglantine at the moment, on his way to his place at table, she heard him clearly. ‘I wish I knew what had happened…’

‘Will you and your hobbits not join us, Daw?’ Paladin said. ‘Just have them tie up the ponies, and have a cup of tea and a bite to sustain you?’

‘Thank you, kindly, Dinny,’ Daw said, and he turned to the door and hailed his companions. Soon Nod and the other two (Daw’s brother Snipe and uncle Griffo, as it turned out) entered, and sat themselves down.

By unspoken consent, the hobbits at table turned the conversation to mundane matters, such as how much hay was left in the fields, and when the weather would change and the autumn rains would come down.

‘Not soon, I hope!’ Paladin said fervently. ‘We still have another field of hay to get in, and the taters and carrots and apples and pears – and then there’s Pip!’

‘Young Pip?’ Snipe asked. ‘What about Pip?’

‘He’ll be walking back from Buckland any day now,’ Paladin said. ‘And that reminds me, Daw, if you could take a Quick Post message with you when you go, and deliver it to the Post in Whitwell, and have them send it on…?’

‘A Quick Post message to Pip?’ Griffo said with a laugh. ‘To speed him home? What is he, off gallivanting with some cousin or other?’ He had missed the reference to Buckland, having been in conversation with the hired hobbit sitting beside him, speculating about the arrangements for the upcoming harvest feast in Whitwell, and whether Mayor Will would come to preside over the festivities.

‘Something to that effect,’ Paladin said, not wanting to go into details. He was not one to fan the flames of the Talk. He didn’t need Tooks and Tooklanders taking alarm and shooting at shadows.

And so, when Daw and the others left, the Shirriff bore a sealed message addressed to “Frodo Baggins at Crickhollow, Buckland” that read, in part:

I do not know what to make of these events, but the fact that the two stricken hobbits shared the same night terror is of concern, and that they both worried over your safety, and the fact that “someone” might be after you.

In any event, should you feel as if your safety is not assured there in your new home, Crickhollow, in the wilds of Buckland, I would like to renew my offer of a place here on the farm, deep in the Tookland and well away from the Bounds where Outlanders are found in ever greater numbers. My hobbits and their stout bows would stand between you and any rogue Man who might have ill intent…

***

A/N Can anyone tell me how to increase the text size inside a blockquote?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List