Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Words of a Wise Woman  by Aelaer

A/N: This is one of the best minor characters Tolkien ever created, and her presence makes the Houses of Healing one of the best chapters within Lord of the Rings. If you have not read the book, it is worth it just to read about her small part within the War.

Disclaimer: Named characters throughout the story belong to Tolkien. Small passages (dialogue) from The Return of the King are quoted and are marked in italics.


Chapter One: The Coming of the King

15 March, 3019 TA

Well! If this day has not gone from bad to worse to better! I truly had not expected such an odd turn of events- well, odd may not be the correct term, but truly unexpected, to say the least! I did not see much of the siege within the Houses, but I see the men who are wounded during battle, and I hear what they have seen. I heard the terrible drums roll throughout the night, and I felt the ground shake when that machine- Grond it was called by the orcs- broke the Gate at last. Now I was not there, of course, but one under my care was, and he told me of the terrible creature that entered our city. It was one of the Ringwraiths- now, do not look at me like that! I do not lie, and this soldier saw it with his own eyes. If you don't believe me, you can go and ask him for yourself. Or would you rather hear the rest of the story?

Very well then, I shall continue. The wizard Mithrandir faced him at our Gate, and would have fought him if the Rohirrim had not come! You did hear their horns, did you not? I was not quite sure what that sound was, myself, but it did fill me with hope when I heard it. It filled everyone here in the Houses with great faith. Indeed, the soldier I was looking after- no, a different one, there are too many wounded to care for one for so long- he was convinced that he was to die. But then his eyes were filled with light, and he said, "The Sun is rising! There is yet hope." I told him to keep that hope but to keep a cool head and not go dashing back into battle. You know how young men can be at times- so eager to die a glorious death.

What was that? Oh, yes, while it was a blessing to see the Rohirrim come, events did turn ill. Now, this is not yet known to many, but our Lord Steward is dead- he went mad and burnt himself to death, and nearly took our Lord Faramir with him!

How dare you accuse me of coming up with such a tale! I never lie, I only repeat what I hear, and this I heard from the periannath. Now if you are so bold as to call them liars, I shall go and tell them myself.

I am glad you do not think that necessary. Both the perian Peregrin and the soldier Beregond saw this, and it would not be wise to call either of them liars. They helped save our Lord Faramir's life, although I have heard that Beregond split the blood of some of the Guard whilst doing so. No, I am not quite so sure if he did, and I do not plan on asking him, either. He is still with Lord Faramir, if you wish to ask him yourself.

No, I did not believe you would ask him, but if you are indeed so curious as to find the truth, you should do so. Otherwise you should stop questioning my words. As I was saying, the day turned ill when our Lord Steward lost himself to madness and his heir lay dying- you did not see him, so deathly pale and cold! It was truly terrible. And as the day passed, word came that King Théoden of Rohan had fallen, and his niece, the Lady Éowyn, was dying. No, I do not know what she was doing in battle. Rumor is going about among the Rohirrim in the Houses that she had come under guise as a man- what an odd thing for a woman to do! But I have heard that Rohirrim are a bit queer in their ways- perhaps women sneak into battle often in Rohan.

Do not interrupt, let me finish. She was not the only one to be brought into the Houses injured- another perian, who came with the Rohirrim, was injured as well. Apparently they felled the Lord of the Ringwraiths- truly a fantastic event! But many had feared that they, along with Lord Faramir, would fall under the Black Shadow of the Nazgûl and be lost to us.

But as you now know, they did not! As I looked upon our Lord Faramir, I said, "Would that there were kings in Gondor, as there were once upon a time, they say! For it is said in old lore: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer. And so the rightful king could ever be known." Now, do not smile at that! For Mithrandir, he said: "Men may long remember your words, Ioreth!" And indeed, I heard him speak of me as 'Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor', and he spoke my words to others; great lords, at that! I heard him myself, as I went from room to room, watching those suffering under the Black Breath. So do not laugh at me, for great wizards think me wise!

As I was saying, my words were indeed wise, for a king has returned to Gondor and he cured the Lord Faramir, the Lady Éowyn, and the Lord Perian, all with a few leaves of kingsfoil! Who would have thought that that weed would have such healing powers? When I smelt it, I said, "No king could ask for better", and I still stand by those words. He crushed the leaves in their rooms, and left behind a most lovely smell. I suspect that the smell still lingers, if you dare to enter one of the rooms and smell it for yourself.

The King? Well, I spread the word, to be sure- after all, as one of the women of the Houses of Healing, it is my duty to spread news of such a miracle. Many came to the Houses, some wanting to see the man who had the powers of the kings of old, others who needed his aid. And indeed, I heard from many that he is even now aiding many of our people with the help of a couple elves. Elves! Who would have thought that we would see elves in our city in this time? Many had believed them to be myth, although I knew that they existed. I am surprised that they take interest in our affairs, although I suppose that the Enemy is their affair, as well. Still, I had not ever expected to see an elf in my lifetime. And now there are supposedly three wandering about Minas Tirith, although I only have seen two thus far. Have you seen the two dark-haired elves whom look so similar to one another? They must be kin- perhaps even brothers. They do look very much alike.

Oh, yes, back to the King. He was stern and short of words, but he seemed kind. At least, he was very kind to the perian Peregrin. I heard of their meeting and they were very familiar with one another, or so it is said. He was very kind to our Lord Faramir, and that is well enough for me. He did seem very tired when he left the Houses, and I can only imagine how he is feeling now.

Oh, good gracious me, look at the time! I must do my last run and turn in for the night. You should leave, too- the Warden is not fond of visitors, and if he sees you, he just might think that you have overstayed your welcome. We must talk again soon, however- it is always a pleasure to talk with you.

Now go, and we shall speak again another time. 





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List