Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Words of a Wise Woman  by Aelaer

Chapter Two: Ioreth the Wise

29 May, 3019 TA

Good day, dear friend! I hope you are as well as I am. I am sorry that I have not been able to speak with you often these last weeks- so much has happened since we have had time for a decent conversation! The downfall of the Enemy and the crowning of the King, and all the sick that need tending to! Mind, the number of sick has decreased quite a bit ever since the Enemy was defeated. With the Black Breath lurking in the air no more, people can breathe easier, or so I think. Indeed, after the last battles in March, the number of patients in the Houses has decreased quite a bit. The kingsfoil is also helping very much- who would have thought that a king's hands could have so much power over a weed? It is fascinating, to say the least.

Have you yet met the King? He frequents the Houses often, so I see him all the time. He knows me very well now, you know. Now, our Lord Elfstone, he can be stern, but truly has a golden heart. You would know that he was away from the City throughout April, but in the time that he has been here he has spent many hours within the Houses. I encourage you to come here more often; you may be able to finally meet him. See, after many of his meetings and councils, if he isn't spending time with his friends, he comes here before suppertime to talk with the Warden about various topics, or the herb-master about the stores, and sometimes even comes to talk with some of the patients.

Oh, he does very well with the patients. He is a natural healer- I suppose it comes with being king. After all, I did say that "the hands of the king are the hands of a healer", and he simply could not be the king if he was not a proper healer. Our Lord Elfstone is very good with patients. Now, you know that most of those wounded in the War have recovered and left the Houses, but there are still some here who encountered some heavy misfortunes in the War. We had a man who barely made it with his life, but lost one of his legs and spent many weeks here recovering. He's finally gone, but a couple weeks ago he was still here. Lord Elfstone spent quite a while with him. I do not know what he said to that poor man, but whatever he did, it made him feel much better, and soon enough he left.

The King just came by yesterday and did yet another patient check. He likes to be informed of all the happenings in the City, I think- he seems to be that kind of man. That is definitely the kind of ruler that this City needs: one who knows what is going on in Minas Tirith, and keeps up with it. He will be a very good king, I believe. Well, yesterday he was checking up on our patients, and he happened to come upon the patient that I was tending to. It was a young girl, who apparently became sick a few days ago, and has been getting worse as each day passes. Her mother brought her here to be tended; her father died in the War a few months back. I was checking on her when Lord Elfstone came in.

He was most kind and patient with her. She did not know who he was, and he only said to call him 'Aragorn'. I was most baffled by this, but I did not say anything. He asked how she was feeling, and then asked a bit about her. He truly seemed remorseful about her father's death, and went to praise him, and her family, for being so strong and brave. It truly warmed my heart, it did. He spent a few minutes with her, and then put his hand on her forehead, and she relaxed and went to sleep! I'm not quite sure what he did, but I suppose it has to do with some kingly powers beyond any of us.

He then turned to me and asked about her symptoms, which I gave him. It was a common sickness that she had- coughing, sneezing, fever, and other such things. I doubt you want to know the details. I told him all I could about it, and he then asked what I was doing to treat her. I said, "Plenty of rest, fluids, and willow bark tea with every meal, until she starts improving." He seemed pleased, and he said to "continue as such, Ioreth", bid me a good day, and left. He truly has a good memory, he does- I'm surprised he remembered me at all. He sees many people every day, after all, most more important than I. But our Lord Elfstone is a remarkable man.

Well now, I am sorry to cut this conversation short, but I have some patients to be tending to. The Warden is still not fond of visitors overstaying their welcome- he can certainly have a temper, you know. But you be sure to come here more often, anyways- you may be able to finally meet the King one day. You would like him. He is truly one of a kind.

Now go on, and we shall talk later. Fare well, my friend, until the morrow!





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List