Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Moments of Grace  by Antane

It was well after dark when the newest babe in the Gamgee household was born, announcing his presence with lusty lungs.  The healer cleaned him off, wrapped him in the same blanket that his elder siblings had been and handed him to his mother.  Bell unwrapped him a bit just to look at him.  What a wonder he was!  Now Bell was not one to play favorites for she dearly loved all her children, but looking at this one, he seemed to be lit up a bit within somehow, as though it was right that he be born at night so his light could be better seen.  He took to suckling right away and then slept contentedly on his mother's breast.

Bell stroked his downy head and feet.  "My beautiful babe, like a little sun you are," she murmured and looked up her husband.

"What should we name him, Ham?" she wondered. 

"Samwise," the Gaffer answered after looking at his newest son. 

Bell smiled and caressed her son's cheek.  She knew in her heart that he would indeed be that, Sam*wise*, though she could not have said why.  She kissed the fine head and then closed her eyes as well, holding her slumbering babe gently in her arms.

When Sam was some months older, he liked to gurgle a lot and to his mother, it almost sounded he was trying to talk - or trying to sing.  She dismissed that last with a smile and soft laugh as a mother's fancy.

* * *

In Buckland, a twelve-year-old orphan was crying himself to sleep, but stopped for a moment and raised his head slightly off the bed.  He heard something that he hadn't heard before.  It was in his heart and he harkened to it as it cut through his pain and lingered there as a soft melody.  He had no idea what it was or where it came from, but it comforted him.  He lay back down, on his stomach as he always loved to do, and fell asleep listening to that beautiful sound. 

He heard it many times throughout his long life.  In the beginning, it was just a soothing hum in his heart, in later times it became a murmured lullaby.  It accompanied him everywhere and provided comfort in his greatest trials.  It was for ever part of him.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List