Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Teleri Treasury  by Rhyselle

Escape Attempt


"And just where do you think you are going?" Olwë hid a smile at the guilty expressions on Eärwen and Arafinwë's faces. Behind them, the merrymaking was still going on in the palace ballroom and gardens, but the quay where Olwë's sailboat was berthed appeared deserted save for the silver-haired king.

"Ada!" Eärwen's fair face went pink as she glanced up at her newlywed husband.

"Daughter!" Olwë relented and smiled at the couple, opening his arms to them. He embraced them and then, keeping his arms about their shoulders, walked them to where the flower bedecked sailboat was moored. "You can sail away as you planned, but your Ammë and I were just making certain that you hadn't forgotten anything you'll need."

Lirillë stepped off of the boat onto the pier, beaming at the younger elves.

Arafinwë blinked, "But—how did you know? We kept our plan secret from everyone."

Olwë clapped the prince on the shoulder, grinning. "That's my secret. Just get on board before the guests get curious." He kissed his daughter on the brow, and his new son likewise. "Be happy, my children. May the One bless you both." Once the couple had boarded, Olwë and Lirillë released the hithlain mooring ropes, and the elegant craft drifted away from the pier.

"We'll give you two weeks before we send out search parties," Olwë called as the Noldo and his bride sailed off into the starlit night. He watched them out of sight, holding his own wife close.

(written Nov. 11, 2008)






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List