Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Inspiration  by Antane

Chapter Two: Frodo and The Fellowship at the Council

(A/N: I would have preferred to stick with the book, but this is mostly movie verse because it fit better as far as how inspiring Frodo's words to everyone.  There is also a little of my own and a little from the Red Book.)

"The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom," Elrond said, looking at the assembled council. "Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came."

"One does not simply walk into Mordor," Boromir protested. "Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this."

The council devolved into a chaotic argument. Frodo stared at the Ring, hearing it speak. He had felt a spike of agony in his head when Gimli had struck it, as though he had felt the axe.

"I will take it!" Frodo cried over the din of the arguing voices. "I will take it!"

The others at the Council looked at him, astonished. Elrond considered him carefully. It was rare in his many long years of life that he had seen such bravery and only once before in such a small being. Frodo looked up at him and the Elf saw wisdom and strength there that few mortals possessed and this one was no bigger or older than a child, an infant even, in the eyes of the immortal Elves. But sometimes children are the wisest of us all. I believe we shall find that he has been well named.

Gandalf closed his eyes in grief over those fateful words. How much would they cost his dear friend he wondered? But almost immediately he received consolation and his heart was strengthened and he smiled. Hobbits really are amazing creatures. Boromir is right. Not with an army of ten thousand could we hope to defeat Sauron...but perhaps one small hobbit...?

"I will take the Ring to Mordor," Frodo said, looking uncertainly around him. "Though...I do not know the way."

Gandalf approached the little one who had accepted to take upon his slim shoulders the most terrible of burdens. Will they be strong enough to carry the peril of the world? He placed his hand on one of those shoulders and felt assurance. "I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear."

Aragorn looked at the frightened but determined hobbit with admiration. He knelt before Frodo and squeezed his hands. "If by my life or death, I can protect you, I will. You have my sword."

Legolas approached him as well. Frodo looked up at him. The Elf saw the fear but also the light that was within him that he had only ever seen in his own kind. If there was any hope left, it would be contained in this little one. "And you have my bow."

Gimli came to Frodo’s side. "And my axe." His father had often talked about his adventure with Bilbo so the dwarf knew hobbits were sturdy and fearfully brave. This one would be no different.

Elrond took another hard look at Frodo and then addressed the Council at large. "This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have forseen it?" He looked back down at Frodo. "If all the mighty elf-friends of old, Hador, and Hurin, and Turin and Beren himself were assembled together, your seat should be among them."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List