Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

The Tookish Inquisition

Bilbo offered Adamanta (as Frodo had decided to call her, for he could not think of her as Mirimė in this form, and he was blessed if he could think of her as Grandmother!) more tea and cakes. She sipped her tea with a sigh of contentment.

"Tell me of Tūk's people. Olórin-- Gandalf-- told me some things about what hobbits did over the years, yet I would know what family think, and how my children turned out. Tell me of the Shire."

Frodo wanted to ask his own questions. Was she really the mother of all Tooks? He could tell Bilbo felt the same, yet both of them were constrained by courtesy to answer her questions first.

And questions she had. She wanted to know the Took family tree, and all its branches among the Brandybucks, Bagginses, Boffins, Bolgers, Chubbs, Grubbs and Proudfeet. She smiled smugly when Bilbo told her that his grandmother was named Adamanta, and chuckled when Frodo added that his cousin Peregrin was as good as betrothed to a lass named Diamond.

Frodo soon found his own well of genealogical knowledge running dry when he had scarcely gone back to Isumbras IV. Bilbo however was made of sterner stuff, and was able to go all the way back to Marcho and Blanco and the beginning of the Shire. Sometimes she would turn her gaze upon Gandalf, and ask "Why did you not tell me of that?"

By the time tea was finished, Frodo felt exhausted, and hoped to ask her a few questions.

She put her teacup down at last, saying, "This has been delightful. I look forward to visiting again soon." She rose, putting her hand on Gandalf's shoulder. "Thank you," she murmured, and then she left.

Frodo and Bilbo exchanged a look of stunned dismay.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List