Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

A Walk in the Garden


Adamanta declined refreshment. Instead they walked in the gardens. They were still new to Bilbo; lush plants with large, brightly coloured blooms grew in abundance. He wondered what Samwise would make of this: the day would come when the gardener would have just such an opportunity. Bilbo smiled, imagining his face.

The two walked in silence, then Bilbo paused to breathe in the scent of a huge blossom in a shade of pink he had never thought possible in nature, then turned to face Adamanta. "What did you wish to say about Frodo?"

"Ólorin told me of Frodo's quest, and of his wounding, and that it was for his healing that he was brought here. I sense that he has already begun to heal, that he is losing his despair and gaining hope. But there is still something sorrowing him, and I do not believe it has to do with the Ring. He seems at a loss."

Bilbo nodded. "Frodo lost his parents when he was very young, and something went out of him then. Ever since, he found his own joy in the joy of others. His heart is large, and he loves deeply. He is moved by their happiness, not by his own. He loves me, of course-- I'm the closest thing to a father he has, but it's not enough. He loves Gandalf-- but Gandalf's joys are beyond a hobbit's comprehension. Most of all he misses those he thought of as younger brothers. He knows he won't be contributing to their happiness any longer, and he's found no one here to fill that void for him."

"I think he has felt the lack of a mother in his life."

Bilbo sighed. "His aunts tried their best, but..."

"It was too soon."

"It was."

"Perhaps I can help."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List