Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

Secrecy

I watched the Elves move away, as the hobbits decided they had done enough for one day, and started for home.  There was one thing that I must do, most especially now that the Elves knew of the hobbits’ existence and had spoken with them.

For one thing my Lady had stressed to me when she gave me the task of watching over the small people: they were by nature shy and modest, so that they would not seek out notoriety or fame or glory.  They were to be a race that flourished in obscurity, and most especially in these early days when they were still few in number.  For the skill of going unnoticed was to be their greatest asset.

When the Elves had gone some leagues back into the forest, I placed myself in their path, clothed in the form of the elleth that I used when first I was introduced to you.  But I allowed the light of my true nature to shine through, for I had a message that I wished them to take seriously.

They stopped, of course, astonished.  “My Lady!” they exclaimed, and began to kneel.

“Do not kneel,” I said, “for I am but a messenger and a guardian for my own Lady.  Today you have met and spoken with the periain who were in the wood.  I tell you that these little ones are under my protection for now.  But if knowledge of them becomes widespread too soon, they will be in danger.  Report them, as is your duty, to your King.  Aid them or not, as it pleases him.  But do not speak of them lightly among others, nor spread news of them abroad.”

Durdir and his companions nodded, and I vanished, knowing that the hobbits would now have extra protection.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List