Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Thirty: Mark’d I Where the Bolt of Cupid Fell


Mirimë looked up into a pair of intelligent brown eyes, twinkling with curiosity and good humor, at a loss as to how to respond. For some reason she had not planned ahead of time what story to tell him.

As she stared, his gaze turned to one of concern. “Are you well? What Is a lass such as you doing out here” he waved a hand about him, “in the middle of nowhere?”

She was embarrassed to confess she meant to waylay him. The sensation of embarrassment was a new one, and it took her an instant to understand what she was feeling. And underneath the embarrassment was another feeling altogether—a desire that this hobbit think well of her. If only she knew what to say!

He bent, taking both her hands, raising her to her feet. “You are as beautiful as a precious jewel, and as silent. I wish that you would speak to me!”

Jewel? That put an idea into her head. “You may call me Adamanta,” she said, finally finding her voice.

“Adamanta? Yes, that’s fitting. Your eyes sparkle like diamonds.” He gazed into her face, his eyes locked on hers, and he kept her hands. “You are no ordinary hobbit lass. Why are you here alone? Who is your family?”

Adamanta, for she was determined to think of herself in that way, shook her head sadly. “I cannot say. I do not think that I have a family.”

“Come with me,” he said, “and I shall give you my family.” He laughed. “I would apologise for being so bold on a first meeting, but I do not feel at all sorry! I have not even told you my own name: it is Tűk of the Fallohides.”

“I will come with you, Tűk of the Fallohides.”
_______________

A/N: The title to this chapter is from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List