Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Thirty-one: An Invitation

Bilbo was pleased when Frodo told him of his talks with Gandalf and Adamanta. Frodo’s doubts and fears were eased.

From the time they had come in view of the Blessed Isle, Bilbo noticed the changes in Frodo. He smiled with his eyes as well as his lips, and for more than a brief instant. He now realised his failure to resist the Ring at the end did not mean he failed in his mission. Yet Bilbo had not understood some of Frodo’s other doubts until he had seen Frodo react to Mirimë’s story.

This morning as Bilbo prepared elevenses, Frodo was on the terrace feeding the birds.

Bilbo was happy with their home. It reminded him of his rooms Rivendell, though larger, meant for two hobbits. They had their own exit, own terrace, a small patch of garden for their own use. Yet it was part of Elrond’s home as well. With Frodo for company, Bilbo spent less time among the Elves than before. Still, they were free to join their Elven friends in the dining hall, make free of Elrond’s library, and walk in Elrond’s grounds.

Gandalf made himself at home here, and while Elrond’s household was smaller, it was lightened by the presence of his wife Celebrian. She had become a friend to Frodo, understanding that which made it impossible for him to remain in Middle-earth. And Galadriel lingered here for a while, glad to be reunited with her daughter, in no hurry to pass further West until she was rejoined with her Lord, who had remained behind for Arwen’s sake.

The two hobbits were sitting down to tea and seedcakes, when there was a knock upon their door. It was Elrond himself.

“My friends, I came to ask if you would join us today for luncheon?”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List