Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Thirty-nine, Adamanta's Children: Addie

It was two years after Raz's birth that I bore another daughter. Her father named her after me— but she was called 'Addie'. Tūk never shortened my name; I always was Adamanta among them.

Addie was a less compliant babe than her sister. She cried throughout the night for the first several months of her life. Her sister was thrilled with having another maid-child in the family, keeping by my side whenever I attended to Addie. Young as she was, Briar Rose loved to feed her little sister and change her nappies.

Once Addie entered faunthood, her disposition improved. She soon learned to talk and sing. Even as a tiny child, she hummed melodies, and made up nonsense songs. As she grew older, she made sense of them; at festivals and parties her singing was much in demand.

When she was ten, a Wood-elf came to our village. They were rare visitors since Tūk first encountered them. Galasgil was his name, and hearing Addie sing one of her songs, he was charmed, and made her shepherd's pipes which he taught her to play.

He also decided to teach her letters. Writing of any kind was unknown among hobbits at that time. Her grandparents thought no good could come of learning such an Elvish skill. Tūk overruled them. She learned quickly, and her brothers and sisters joined her lessons. Galasgil stayed among us a year and a half-- a brief time for him, but long enough to became a familiar sight. When he left many of the children, and not a few of the adults had learned to read and write.

Addie was heartbroken when he left, though I know he was dismayed at how quickly the children grew older. But Addie had pleasure ever after in writing down her songs.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List