Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

  I'm sorry I forgot to update on Tuesday!

Chapter Fifty-one: Hole Sweet Hole

For several months Adamanta's visits were scarce as she oversaw the building of her hole.

Frodo made frequent rides out to see her progress, but Bilbo had found riding was a little more difficult for his old bones than it used to be. He was surprised by Elrond one day with a little pony-trap to make the visits easier for him, and after that he came more often.

Still, as the hole neared completion, Adamanta asked them not to come, as she wanted to surprise them with the final result.

One day she came to tell them she had finished. "I will be having a party tomorrow to celebrate! Of course you are invited!"

The party that rode out to the Vale (for she had decided to name the new home after her old one) was a merry one: Frodo and Bilbo in the pony-trap, Gandalf on Shadowfax, Elrond and his household on horses with bells on their headstalls. The Elves sang merrily as they rode.

Once more they crested the hill that led down to the Vale, and Frodo laughed in sheer delight to behold in the distance familiar round doors and windows and a chimney pot, surrounded by flowers, and topped by an ancient oiolairė that made a perfect rooftree.

On closer inspection, the new hole did not so much resemble Bag End, however. It seemed more rustic in many ways, and Frodo realised she must have patterned it after the holes of her old home. The doors and windows were much larger-- the better to convenience Elven guests; for the same reason the ceilings were higher. And the furnishings were a mixture of large and small. In many ways it reminded him of their own quarters at Elrond's home.

But it was, without a doubt, a smial.
__________________
(A/N: The oiolairė, according to Wikipedia list of Middle-earth plants, was a tree of Tol Eressėa; "It had "ever-green, glossy and fragrant" leaves and throve upon sea-air")





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List