Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

Mourning: Elrond

"I thought I would find you here," said Celebrian.

Elrond turned, waiting for her to join him as they strolled through the abandoned golf course. "I miss having hobbits about, my love. I wonder shall Frodo return, or will it be too painful for him to dwell here without another of his kind?"

"You do miss having hobbits about, but I think also you miss one particular hobbit. Bilbo had a special place in your heart."

"He did. He was a good friend. He had a generous and compassionate heart as well as that sturdy and steadfast courage that dwells deep within each hobbit breast. Do you know, Arwen loved him well? It was a grief to her that he could not come with us to her wedding. Even in his own sorrow and fear for his kin during the Quest to destroy Sauron's Ring, he did what he could to keep up her hopes and mine." Elrond stopped, espying a small object in the grass. He bent to pick it up, and showed it to his wife with a sad smile: it was a hand-carved wooden tee.

"I remember watching Mithrandir carving those with his own two hands."

Elrond nodded, putting his arm around her shoulders as they walked on. "At least Frodo has Adamanta," he said.

"He does, and he has Mithrandir as well. And I am sure, very sure, that he will return to us. When he does, he will have you and me, and my mother and all the others who have come to know and love him as we do. And he will be happy again before he too must accept the gift and leave us."

She sounded very sure. But, as Elrond knew, she was Galadriel's daughter and not lacking in her own foresight.







<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List