Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

Across the Sundering Sea, part 1

In between his times visiting the palantír, Frodo thought he'd grown used to the sensation of flying above the clouds and over the Sea. But every time he was as surprised and exhilarated as he'd been the first time. Below him were wheeling gulls, foamy waves, and the occasional splashes of great whales. Soon enough he saw the wharves of Mithlond, then the Towers, then the Downs.

As sometimes happened, he bypassed Bag End. Usually that meant Sam and his family were elsewhere. His vision continued West, so the Gamgees were not at the Great Smials now; perhaps they were visiting Buckland? He thought his guess was correct as he went lower, catching sight of a group of hobbits approaching the Stonebow Bridge. But what was going on there? For on the western bank were bright pavilions with banners, among them the great standard of the White Tree!

He saw now the small figures crossing the bridge were his Gamgees! There was Sam, astride a pony, with Rose riding likewise at his side, a babe in a sling across her breast. Frodo thought for a moment for the insight that sometimes visited him. Ah! They called this little one Robin. Elanor, who had grown into a lovely tween also rode a pony alongside her mother. A waggon followed, driven by his young namesake, and carrying the other little Gamgees.

The family rode across the bridge, and were met by Merry and Pippin, their own families ranged behind them. Then all turned to face the largest pavilion. Sam, Merry and Pippin stood side by side; as the King and Queen came out, all save those three bowed deeply, while the three of them simply gave an incline of their head. Frodo smiled, as he felt himself come to stand alongside them.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List