Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

to lose hope is to give up  by Laikwalâssê

To Lose Hope, is To Give Up

A/N: As always many thanks to my beta Erulisse.

Chapter 12: little ones

When Glorfindel and Celebrían entered the children’s renovated room, the silver haired elf squeezed the warrior’s arm gratefully. “Thank you Gorfindel for everything and now for helping me again,” she said, quickly planting a kiss on Glorfindel´s cheek.

“No reason for thanks,” Glorfindel smiled back. He bent down over the bed and gently shook Elladan until the older twin looked at him with dulled eyes.

“Glorfi?” he asked softly.

“Yes, little one, it’s me. Would you two like to see your Ada right now?” the golden-haired elf asked. The eyes of the elflings, now both awake, grew wide.

“Ada is here?” Elrohir asked breathless.

“Yes, he is resting in the next room, my sweet,” Celebrían smiled and gathered Elrohir in her arms. Glorfindel did likewise with Elladan. He frowned, feeling the unnatural heat the little body emanated. Quickening his pace, Glorfindel, closely followed by Celebrían, ran down the corridor and opened the door to Elrond’s room. He saw the Elf-Lord sitting upright in his bed with his back leaning against the headboard for support.

Elrond looked anxiously at the two elves entering holding his children. He stretched out his arms to gather the older twin from Glorfindel and immediately began to assess the state of the elfling. Celebrían sat on the other side of her husband rocking a sleepy Elrohir in her arms.

Glorfindel noticed that Elrond had removed all his visible bandages so he would not frighten the children any more. Celebrían placed the younger twin right beside his brother in his father’s lap.

The boys looked up and Elladan stretched out his tiny hand to touch his father’s face. “Ada,” he breathed, “you are not dead?”

Tears ran down the Elf-Lord’s face while he carefully hugged his two sons close. “No,” he choked. “I’m here and I will never leave you both. Do you hear me? Your Nana and I will always be there for you.” Receiving two weak nods he rubbed soothing circles onto the boys backs reaching out with his healing senses to detect what was amiss.

After a while he opened his eyes and smiled reassuringly at his wife. The boys’ distress over the fire and the mistaken loss of their father went deep, but was nothing that could not be repaired. He instantly poured as much healing energy as he could spare at the moment into the two bodies.

Celebrían and Glorfindel heaved great sighs of relief, when Elrond placed the two now-sleeping elflings next to him in the large bed. Emotionally and mentally drained the Elf-Lord closed his eyes and leaned back. Glorfindel smiled and left the room to give the family some privacy.

Coming back an hour or so later with Centhar on his heels they smiled at the sight that greeted them. Elrond lay side by side with his wife, the elflings between them. All four looked content and slept peacefully. The healer turned wordlessly. His help was no longer required here.

Without a sound Glorfindel closed the door determined not to disturb them. He clasped the young healer lightly on the shoulder. Now the true healing could begin. Now he was going to sleep for the next century.

 

………………………………………………

Two days later Centhar gave his permission for Elrond to leave his bed. Not that he had the power to stop the Elf-Lord’s will anyway, but Elrond was sensible enough to heed the young healer´s warnings. He knew very well that his head injury was a severe one and not to be taken lightly.

When he had donned breeches and a shirt, Centhar extended his hand to help him stand. Instantly the room began to spin and the Elf-Lord leaned heavily on his young colleague. “Take it slowly,” Centhar said, as Elrond struggled to regain his balance.

“I’m tired of being confined to my bed,” the Elf-Lord groaned. “I want to feel the sun on my skin again.”

The young healer smiled back, “A bit of your own medicine, my Lord?” Elrond glared at the young elf and Centhar guided him toward the door, muttering. “Healers are the worst patients.”

“I heard that!” Elrond replied grumpily, but he squeezed the other’s arm affectionately.

Hours later Elrond eagerly walked down the stairs leading toward the dining room, much more confident in his steps now so he could walk unaided. When he pushed open the two double doors, he was surprised to see so many elves gathered there. All fell silent, as he looked around, until two high pitched cries cut the silence.

“Ada!” “Ada!” The twins shouted, leaving their seats and running toward their father. Glorfindel quickly got in their path, slowing them considerably, not knowing how steady Elrond was on his feet just yet.

“Hold on, slow down,” he said, catching the two whirlwinds in his arms. The children had recovered remarkably quickly. “You do not want to knock your Ada down, do you?”

Shaking their heads the twins lowered their eyes, not really understanding why their father suddenly could not catch them as always. Elrond, kneeling meanwhile, sent a grateful nod toward the golden warrior and opened his arms. At a slower pace the twins rushed into their father’s arms and snuggled close.

A raising murmur could be heard at this scene. The elves of Rivendell were happy to have their Lord in their midst again. Elrond walked over to his usual seat, obviously enjoying the cheerful atmosphere. He squeezed the shoulder of his wife gently.

While the dinner was served, he took a quick look at Erestor and Glorfindel and observed them quietly. Red patches, where the burns had healed, still showed on some parts of the skin, yet the two elves seemed to feel no more discomfort. Looking at the happy faces of his children, he was relieved that they too had healed from their mental trauma.

Lost in his thoughts, he jerked up when Celebrían gently touched his arm.

“Where have you been, love?” she asked softly.

Elrond smiled and shook his head. “I’m glad that all turned out well in the end. I only wish I could have thanked your parents personally for their help.”

Celebrían smiled back. “That’s not necessary. My naneth enjoyed being in charge of something she was not accustomed to.”

Before Elrond could repeat anything the door opened again and five representatives of King Valandil entered, guided by Lindir. Elrond recognized Baradon and his little charge Arahel in front of the group and rose. “Please join us”, he said, gesturing them toward his table.

Unsure Baradon hesitated, seeing Glorfindel and Erestor sitting there. Clearly remembering his shameful behaviour toward the Elf-Lords he lowered his eyes. Elrond, not yet knowing what had happened, frowned and looked at Glorfindel. He realized here was another part of the story he did not know about yet.

Not wanting to let the sudden silence stretch any longer, he redirected his gaze at the man. “What is wrong, my friend?” he asked, waiting for the man to look up. Shifting uncomfortable the councillor finally looked up. He had hoped to make his apology in a more private manner, but it could not be helped. He took a deep breath.

“My Lords,” Baradon finally managed to say, addressing Elrond, Glorfindel and Erestor, “I’m sorry about what happened to you when you went in search of Arahel, and I’m forever grateful that you did.”

Sensing there was more to this story that he did not yet fully understand, Elrond squeezed the man’s shoulder reassuringly. “There is nothing to be sorry for, my friend. You are welcome. All that matters in the end is that we can sit together today.”

Looking into the open and friendly faces of the three Elf-Lords Baradon sighed relieved.

Feeling a tug on his robe, Elrond looked down at the little human boy. Celebrían lifted him into her lap, giving him the opportunity to say something. Quickly the boy gripped Elrond around his neck and planted a shy kiss on his cheek when he bent forward to look at the boy. “Thank you,” he whispered in the Elf-Lord’s ear, “for not leaving me there.”

Wriggling from Celebrían´s lap he repeated the action with Glorfindel and Erestor. Elrond smiled at the boy and hugged him close when he had returned to him. “You are welcome, young one,” he whispered back, battling fiercely to hold his threatening tears in check.

Only then did he realize that it had become deadly silent in the room. Every pair of eyes was directed at him. Lifting the boy, still wearing his splint around his ankle into the free chair next to him he whispered. “Would you like to get rid of these splints tomorrow?”

The shining eyes of the boy were all the answer he needed.

To be continued……………………..





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List