Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Gil-Estel  by Mirach

October 3rd, 2986 T. A.

---

How warm are the lights of Rivendell today…. How brightly they shine into the night… but you will not feel their warmth. You will not feel the rich scent of autumn coming to the hidden valley. The leaves will color to gold and red like the sunset on the sea as they will mirror in the calm surface of the river before the waterfalls. You will not see them…

There is a figure in the highest window, looking to the mountains. Elrond, my son… Do you feel his waning life? In the warmth of the Last Homely House, to you feel the cold creeping to your heart, like the bony fingers of death that are creeping to him in this very moment? You look to the mountains… is your heart in that hidden valley where my heart dwells this night?

Your brother chose the mortal fate, and you know the bitterness of his decision. You have watched him sail to the West, to his own kingdom of Númenor, and you knew that with every passing moment, he was closer to death. Did you feel it? Did you feel the death of your brother? Do you feel it now, my son?

It seems to me that there are new lines in your face. Lines of sorrow… When did the life write them there? It is a long time now since I have studied your face. It was too painful… Once I watched you every day, and let the light of my star shine more brightly for you. You were the herald of the High King Gil-Galad, and I was so proud… I watched you in battle, your fierceness and determination. I watched you when your hands brought healing to the wounded and ill. I watched your love, and I was as glad as a father could be. I remember the day when the twins were born, and Arwen, beautiful like the twilight in Valinor even as a little one… Oh, there was a light of pride in my eyes that almost matched the Silmaril…

The darkness touched you, my son. It has taken Celebrían from you, and silenced the laughter in the halls of Imladris. Once you looked to the stars every night, and sought the one that shone more brightly in response to your look. However, you ceased to look to the stars. The one that looked with you is not at your side anymore. She sailed to seek healing for her broken spirit in the beautiful land far behind the Sea. Maybe it reminded you at the empty place too much… I listened to the stories told in the Hall of Fire, and I felt that I’m becoming a part of the stories in your mind. A legend, something that was long ago and far away. I am here! Now! I wanted to call, but you do not hear me. Once you had a father that sailed the heavenly streams like a star. Now… Now there is a cold star, and an old legend about a daring sailor that abandoned his sons for his adventures…

It was too painful to watch, and to be reminded every night how I failed to be a father to you... Now you stand at the same window again, but you do not look at the sky. You look at the dark silhouettes of the mountains, and your heart tells you that your brother is dying…

Suddenly there is the old look in your eyes, the fierceness and determination! You turn away from the window, and soon I see you mounting a white horse, and gallop into the night. Your cloak flutters behind you, and the hooves sparkle on the stony path. Ride, Elrond! Ride! Your heart will guide you… Ride on the wings of wind!

***

Aragorn! Oh, Aragorn! Do not sleep… You cannot sleep now! Do not give up! Fight! There is still something to fight for! Oh, if you only would know… If only I could tell you… Your eyes are closed, and your face so pale, and worn, and thin… and peaceful… as though dead. You have given up. You are reconciled with death. You are reconciled with the fact that nobody will come, that you will die alone, with the cold stones for a grave. However, your chest still heaves in a labored breath, barely visible. Hold on! The rescue is coming! Just a little longer, please… Hold on…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List