Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Always the Same  by Laikwalâssê

Always The Same

Disclaimer:

The characters, places, and events are creations of J.R.R. Tolkien. No profit was or will be made from this story. It was written solely for entertainment.

A/N: As always many thanks to my beta Erulisse.

 Summary:

Sometimes it isn´t easy to be the son of the King. Three youngsters are forced to realize this bitter experience.

Featuring: Elladan, Elrohir, Legolas, Eldarion   

Rating:

PG-13

Title:

“Always The Same”

 Author:

 Laikwalâssê

Part1: elf

“Very well done, Legolas.“

The young elf glowed at the praise from the archery master. His contentment however vanished from his face, as he looked up and into the scowling face of Thoran. The young prince of Mirkwood had been advanced a level due to his skill with the bow and was now by far the youngest member of this group.

Most of his classmates were very fond of their young comrade but not so Thoran. Before now, he had been the best of his class. He was jealous and angry, believing that Legolas was favoured only because he was the King´s son. He was making the life of the young prince as miserable as possible whenever he could, never missing a chance to harass and mistreat the much younger elf at any opportunity behind the adults’ backs.

After an overenthusiastic start Legolas´ joy in archery lessons had considerably lessened and he now dreaded every day he had to face Thoran and his companions. He had masked his anguish well, not wanting his father or the lesson-master to notice. He felt that they would interfere and make everything worse. Sometimes he had considered making poor shots on purpose only to placate the other youths but that had gone completely against his pride and joy and led to the same result: - questions and actions from both the archery master and his father.

And so he suffered the constant mobbing of the older elf hoping that Thoran would one day leave him alone. Yesterday as Thoran had again followed him after their lessons Legolas had run all the way home wanting nothing more than to be away from his tormentor. He had excused himself before dinner and gone to his chambers to be alone with his shame of not being courageous enough to stand his ground.

Wondering again what had caused his son´s odd behaviour of late the King checked on his child but received the same answer as always these last weeks. “Ada, I’m fine, only tired. Don’t worry.” Having long recognized that his son was troubled by something, the King also knew that he would receive no further answer this evening at least. He kissed his boy goodnight and vowed that he would find out.

 

……………………………………………..

The next day however was even worse. Thoran watched every move of the young prince like a hawk until Legolas was so nervous that he indeed practiced badly, much to the joy of Thoran. And to make things even worse the archery master wanted to speak with him after they had finished. Legolas sighed knowing that there was no way to ignore the master.

“If you tell him anything, you will regret it,” Thoran hissed as the young prince walked past him leaving the training grounds. Swallowing Legolas entered the little hut, where all the practice items were kept and looked at the archery master already waiting for him. He tried his best to sound casual.

“You wanted to speak with me?" he asked, cringing at the slightly shrill tone of his voice. The archery master nodded and did not indicate if he had heard the slightly panicked tone. “Yes, Legolas, please sit down.” he said with a smile, and gestured the young elf over to a nearby chair.

Legolas sighed, sat down and waited for the unavoidable question. As the master had sat himself down too he looked intently at his young charge. “Legolas, what is it? You are late every morning, you no longer have any interest in what I want to teach you, and your progress has slowed if not come to a still-stand. What has caused all this?”

Swallowing Legolas did not know what to say. The archery master had recognized that something was amiss. He nearly laughed. Had he really thought that he could fool this old elf? He longed to be honest, to tell the master all, but he was too afraid how Thoran would react afterwards. All would become even worse and….

“Legolas...?” Snapping back to attention the young prince looked up. “I do not know what you mean. Maybe I need to pay better attention and practice harder….,” he begun and knew instantly that this lie sounded as hollow as it was.

Letting out a deep sigh the archery master stood up. “Alright, young one, if you are bored and preoccupied then we should think of a change in your schedule.” Knowing that he had disappointed his teacher he directed a pleading look at the eyes still looking intently at him. “I’m sorry,” was all he could mutter and all but ran outside, followed by a frowning and concerned look from his master.

 

………………………………………………………………….

The next morning Legolas made haste to dress and break his fast to arrive early at the training grounds, in fact much earlier than Thoran. He wanted to calm down, to concentrate and to make up for the previous day’s bad performance. As he rounded a cluster of bushes however he stopped dead in his tracks at the sight before him. Thoran and two of his friends stood there already waiting for him.

“Up so early, princeling?“ Thoran sneered effectively blocking the path with his companions. While Legolas stopped and considered whether to go back or take another path toward the training grounds, the three were on him grabbing his arms. “Let me go!,“Legolas growled and tried to break free. Being the younger and not as tall he had no chance to stand his ground.

Restraining the struggling youngster Thoran brought his mouth near Legolas ear.

“I told you, you would regret it and now I will show you what happens to little princelings that disobey my orders.”

“I told him nothing,” Legolas shouted and tried again to break free.

Before he could blink a piece of cloth was shoved into his mouth effectively blocking any further noise. “Shht, we do not want to attract any attention, do we?” Thoran said, and begun to bind Legolas´ hands behind his back. Now, really afraid of what they wanted to do with him, the young elf struggled wildly but to no avail.

A hard blow to his face brought him to his knees and tears to his eyes. Before he could react he felt another blow and all went black. The first sensation he felt as he awoke was the pain in his head. He slowly opened his eyes and blinked at the twilight that greeted him. Was it already dawn?

Trying to move he recognized that he was sitting against a tree with his hands bound behind him. As the memory rushed back at him his head snapped up and he looked into the grinning face of Thoran. “Look, our princeling is awake again” he grinned gesturing his companions over. Ignoring the three Legolas looked around to determine where they had brought him. He knew this area; a good distance away from the palace in a small clearing surrounded by thick old oaks. Very clever, no one would find them by chance or hear any shouts. As if reading his thoughts Thoran laughed.

“Right, right princeling. No one will hear us here.” Angrily Legolas looked up. “Release me at once. They will miss me and then you will be in serious trouble.” Stepping closer Thoran crouched down and grabbed Legolas´ chin painfully.

“Shut up. No one will miss you before dark and through your early start you have given us plenty of time to teach you some manners. And besides, this Sindarin upstart you call your father needs a lesson too and you are the perfect tool for it.” As Thoran released him Legolas began to shiver. This was no longer simple mobbing.

Thoran was dangerous. He was one of these elves who never tolerated that the majority of Silvan elves were ruled by a Sindar King. Old grudges and quarrels from the time Oropher, Thranduil’s father, took the rule over the wood elves had never died out completely. Thoran wanted to harm him only to show the King his contempt. He closed his eyes. He was really afraid now and he had not long to wait as the first blows rained down on him. Helpless as he was he tried as best as possible to turn away from the blows but was unable to protect any part of his body from the pain. He did not know how much time had passed and as his head was slammed against the tree trunk again he let it fall forward without making the effort to raise it again. Having succeeded so far to not let out a cry he could not stifle the painful moan when a boot connected with his ribs.

As a hand jerked his hair he was forced to look into Thoran´s flushed face. “No longer so proud, are we, princeling?,“ he sneered. Even if he had wanted to, with all the pain coursing through his body, he was not able to utter something. Angrily Thoran released his hair. A real cry was torn from his throat as a boot connected with his bound right arm and all went black, as he felt the bone snap.

 

……………………………………………….

When he awoke again he felt weak and dizzy. Blood trickled slowly from his nose and mouth and it had started to rain. The cold made him shudder. With a considerable effort he raised his head and paled ever further as he saw his tormentors still standing before him. No, this could not be. He could take no more.

Some sort of argument must have taken place, because Thoran was talking angrily with his two companions. “Thoran, stop this. He has had enough.  We wanted to scare him, but this has gone too far,“ one of Thoran´s companions said. Thoran inhaled sharply and shoved the other elf forcefully.

“You weakling. Do you think we can stop now? And what then? We let him go and then he will run to his father and we can say ‘Oh, this was a misunderstanding?’ We must get rid of him, dispose of him so that no one can find him. That will be a real blow to the King, do you not think? He will never know what happened to his brat.”

“You are insane,” the other elf cried. “The King will find out and then he will kill us!“

Thoran smiled maliciously. “To avoid this you two should help me clear this mess and then shut your mouths. You agreed to this and now you are as guilty as I.” With growing panic in their eyes the two youngsters looked at each other, knowing they were trapped. Thoran only grinned and turned back to his captive.

Legolas closed his eyes. He had heard enough. Thoran would kill him now and he had never the chance to say goodbye to his father. Sitting there and shivering from the blood loss and his many injuries his eyes snapped open however as he heard a deep growl. Unbelieving he blinked at the sight before him. Two wargs were creeping into the clearing unsure at the moment which prey was the easiest.

Thoran and his companions acted instantly with the swiftness and grace of their race. They lept into the trees and scrambled along the branches in three different directions to their safety.

Legolas’ breath came in ragged gasps. Now his tormentors must not worry any longer who would take care of the mess they left behind. The wargs would tear him into pieces and they would get away with their crime. He now tore violently at his bonds uncaring of the pain that raced through his body. He cried on the top of his lungs for help but stopped as a warg was only inches away baring his teeth at him.

 

……………………………………………………………….

Thranduil walked down the hallway and out of the palace entry addressing one of the door guards. “Has my son returned from the training yet?“ he asked.

The guard saluted. “No my Lord. We haven´t seen him since the early morn.”

Nodding his thanks the King looked across the lawn his brow furrowed. It was already getting dark and Legolas should be home by now. In fact, he hadn’t seen his son today because he had left the palace at a very early hour. What was wrong with the boy? He was so withdrawn of late. If he did not know it better he had the feeling that his son was avoiding him.

Making up his mind he grabbed his cloak and started toward the training grounds looking displeased at the dark clouds now releasing a dazzling rain. Arriving there he looked around seeing that all lessons were closed by now and only a few elves could be seen. He walked to the archery hut and nearly bumped into the archery master, as he emerged from the building. The elf bowed. “I´m sorry, my Lord. I did not hear you approach. How can I be of service?”

“Have you seen my son? He has not arrived home yet the King asked, again looking around. As the archery master paled the King swallowed. “My Lord, I haven’t seen Legolas today. I thought he had skipped his lessons today because of our …conversation yesterday.” The King´s worry grew. “What conversation?” he asked, trying to sort out the puzzle.

The archery master took a deep breath and told the King of the observations he had made over the last weeks. He mentioned Legolas’ lessening enthusiasm, his changing moods and his lack of concentration. The King listened with growing dread. Yes he had noticed similar signs but he had not thought that it was this bad.

“Why did you not tell me?” he asked angrily but knew instantly that his anger was more directed at himself that the other elf.

“In fact I was on my way to you my Lord, since Legolas did not show up today. I talked to him yesterday and he assured me that all was well.” Thranduil smiled wryly. Yes that was the same as his son had told him again and again.

He swallowed again. Where was Legolas now? No one had seen him since the morning? Fear and guilt began to choke him. Legolas had not run off, had he? Shaking the lethargy from his mind he faced the archery master. “I must fetch a search party,“ he said far too calmly and turned. “I will assist you, my Lord,” the archery master assured and hastened alongside his King.

 

……………………………………………

Thalan reined in his mount sharply, as he heard a heart-piercing scream. Glancing at his companion, he saw by the frown crossing the ellon’s face that the sound was not imaginary. He held up his hand to stop the rest of his patrol.

The elves listened intently trying to determine where the scream had come from and who was in need of help. As they heard the typical growls of wargs their faces darkened. Now Thalan knew that someone was in dire need indeed. The six elves dismounted and instructed their mounts to hide and wait. They would be of no help anyway.

Silently but quickly they moved through the undergrowth. As they reached a clearing they swarmed out and made their bows ready. Wargs must be felled at once. Wounded they were unpredictable and even more dangerous.

Thalan took a deep intake of breath, as he saw an elf crouched beneath a tree feebly trying to avoid the attacking wargs. Fortunately for the victim the two beasts seemed in some sort of dispute over their prey, otherwise the elf would be dead by now. Not wanting to wait out the result of the beasts’ quarrel Thalan gave the signal and six arrows found their mark, killing the snarling beasts at once. Seconds after the beasts had fallen to the ground Thalan sprung forward and ran toward the slumped elf under the tree.

As he moved closer he stopped dead in his tracks as he saw that the elf did not crouch there but was bound with his back to the tree and the elf was no more than a child. Not believing his eyes he knelt down and reached out to touch the young elf to determine if he even was alive. Since they had reached the clearing the young elf had not moved or made any sound.

One of his patrol members quickly cut the rope that bound the young elf to the tree and Thalan caught the light body in his arms and laid him carefully on the ground. As the long blond hair fell away from the youngster´s face Thalan got his next shock. Lying there before him was none other than the King´s son. Shaking his head he looked up and into the face of his second-in-command. “What has happened here?” he asked.

Shrugging his shoulders in a helpless gesture the other elf looked as puzzled as his superior. Looking down again at the still figure the captain took in the sight before him. The youngster had a heavily bleeding bite wound on his right leg and many scratches on his tights. These were not surprising after being attacked by two wargs, but the other injuries Thalan could see did not fit that pattern at all.

The youngster had bruises and cuts all over his upper body and his right arm was surely broken. As Thalan felt along the ribs he was fairly sure that a few of then were at least cracked.

“What is the meaning of this?,“ he murmured, knowing that he would again get no answer; his companions were as clueless as he. It almost seemed that someone had tied the young prince to the tree and beaten him. As the wargs came they had fled leaving the young one to his doom. His face darkened. Hopefully this `someone` would never cross his path. Anyway the youngster needed his help now. Thalan looked up.

“Darion, Threlan, please fetch my bags and some water. We need to stop the bleeding and bandage that leg. Then boil water and make a herb-paste. I need to clean the scratches and bind the ribs.” Nodding the two elves hurried back to retrieve their horses and the needed items relieved that they could help in any way. Thalan and his second stayed by the youngster, covered him with a cloak, and spoke soothing words albeit they knew that most likely the boy could not hear them.

The last two warriors built up a fire and took watch. As Thalan with the help of his men had cleaned and bandaged the bite wound on the little one´s leg, washed the many cuts and dressed the bruised ribs he leaned back and took a deep breath. He had covered the youth with his cloak and laid him near the fire to rest. After coaxing some tea into the cold and shivering youngster he sat beside him still not sure what had happened here. What was the King´s young son doing so far from the palace? But more importantly, who had tied him to that tree and beaten him up? And most of all, why? There were too many questions and no answers.

As he looked up he saw the worried faces of his companions. Like him they were not really comfortable with the thought of the King´s son in their company and in such a state. Thalan wanted to wait an hour or two to give the youth some time to rest. He was not really awake during the ministration and was surely afraid and confused. Right now he was resting as comfortably as the situation allowed. Thalan would breathe a sigh of relief when he could give up his charge into more capable hands.

 

……………………………………………………..

As Thranduil reached the palace after his talk with the archery master his seneschal was awaiting him at the top of the stairs. “My Lord, I’ve someone here you should hear out before….” Interrupting his aide with an impassioned gesture the King did not even stop. “Not yet, Calan, I´m on my way to organize a search party.“

Many years of service had given Calan the confidence to stand firm. “But, my Lord, young Bregan is here. He has something interesting to tell.“ This got the desired reaction from the King. He stopped and retraced his steps. Bregan was Legolas best friend. Maybe he did know something?

“You are right, as always,” the King said with a small smile. “I want to speak with him at once!” Calan smiled back and turned. “Of course, my Lord, I’ve already sent him to your study.” As the King, followed by his advisor, entered his study he strode directly toward Bregan, who was accompanied by his father. Both father and son bowed before the King and Thranduil inclined his head. He had no time for pleasantries.

Looking for permission the King knelt at the child´s eye-level and smiled. “Hello, Bregan. You have something to tell me?” Chewing his lip the youngster looked up at his father and after an encouraging smile he nodded. “My Lord, I think I know where Legolas is,” he begun while shifting a little bit closer toward his father. Thranduil blinked. Until an hour ago he had not even known that his son was missing. What was going on here? Trying to calm down he swallowed not liking the sound of this one bit.

With some effort he smiled again at the child trying not to frighten him anymore. “And where do you think my son is Bregan?,“ he asked with strained patience.

Shifting nervously the boy took a deep breath. “I saw him this morning. He was on his way to the training fields. We wanted to meet there, but it was much too early. As I arrived he was not there. I searched around and saw that Thoran and his companions dragged him into the woods.” The King’s thoughts raced. Who was Thoran and what has this to do with his son?

Caressing the child´s cheek the King stopped the tumbling words. “Bregan slow down. Who is Thoran and what have they done?” With watery eyes the young one looked up again. “Thoran is an older novice and is always mobbing Legolas, but today he wanted to hurt him, I´m sure.”

Sobbing now the child buried his face in his father´s leg. “I´m sorry, my Lord,” he hiccupped, “but I was so afraid. I should have told you earlier.” The King reached out and stroked the boy’s hair. “It´s not your fault, I´m glad you have told me. We will find him.“

Rising, the King thanked the father and dismissed him. Now some things began to make sense. As the two elves left he slowly turned and looked at his seneschal. “Please ready the horses and summon the guards.” I will be off in a few minutes. I think I will have a chat with someone called Thoran.“ Knowing his sire exactly the aide knew that now was not the time for questions.

As his advisor left the King took a deep breath. The fear for his son nearly stole his breath away. What had they done to him? Had they really hurt him? His face darkened. If someone had hurt his son they would answer to him. Somehow the name Thoran did sound familiar, but he could not place the memory at the moment. With growing unease he knew that it was no pleasant memory. Changing his robe to his riding attire he grabbed his bow and his sword and left the room.

 

……………………………………….

Riding in front of a group of six elves the King´s thoughts were in turmoil. He still could not comprehend what he had learned a few hours ago. Legolas was in some sort of trouble and according to Bregan´s words in serious trouble. And he had not even recognized that his child had problems he could not solve on his own.

Was he so unobservant? Why had he missed seeing the obvious signs? Yes, he had noticed that his son was a bit edgy of late but had dismissed it as unimportant, as a way of growing up. Had he really grown this distant to his child that the boy could not confide in him any more? He shuddered. This would change. In the future he would spend much more time with his child, this he vowed silently to himself.

Lost in thought he jerked his head up, as he heard hoof beats coming their way. The King’s group came to a standstill awaiting the oncoming rider. The relatively relaxed posture of the guards indicated that it could only be an elf nearing them.

As the rider spotted the group he rained his mount sharply slowing his wild dash through the wood. The lone rider’s eyes widened as he saw who rode in front of the group. As he had reached his King he bowed his head and took a deep breath. Thranduil inclined his head as he recognized one of his border guards. “My Lord it’s good to meet you. In fact I was on my way to you.“

Sensing the urgency and uneasiness of the messenger the King stiffened. Instantly he knew that it had something to do with his missing son. “Well met and what news do you bring?” he asked cautiously. Quickly looking at the other elves and easily identifying them as a search party the messenger again took a deep breath. “My Lord, Captain Thalan sent me. We found your son a few hours ago deep in the woods. He was attacked by wargs. We came just in time and dispatched of them. I´m sorry my Lord but your son was wounded.“

Swallowing the King’s confusion grow. Wargs? What was Legolas doing so deep in the woods? “How severe are his injuries?“ the King asked barely able to contain his anxiety any longer. Swallowing the warrior frowned. What should he tell the King right now? That his son was kidnapped, tied to a tree, beaten and on top of all nearly killed by wargs? There would be time for details later. Now it was important to bring father and son together and put the little one quickly into capable hands.

He settled for a compromise. “He has a bite to his leg and a few nasty scratches, but nothing life threatening. My Captain has already taken care of him and is right now on his way to the palace only half an hour behind me.“ Breathing a sigh of relief that the patrol has found his son in time the King nodded at the warrior.

“Thank you, please continue toward the palace and inform the healers. I will meet with your captain.” Dipping his head the warrior again spurred his horse on. Thranduil held up his hand and the party continued. After half an hour the King spotted the announced patrol. This time he did not wait but urged his horse forward until he had reached the captain riding in front. His heart nearly missed a beat, as he saw the pale and unmoving form of his son in the captain’s arms. The eyes of the boy were disturbingly closed. Not really surprised to see his King Thalan stopped his mount. He bowed his head and quickly assured as he saw the King´s worried face.

“My Lord he’s only asleep. I’ve given him something against the pain.” Nodding Thranduil dismounted and gathered his son into his arms. After he had delivered his charge into the King´s hands Thalan dismounted also and knelt beside the King. Thranduil laid his son carefully on the ground and peered beneath the big cloak covering him. He narrowed his eyes as he spotted the numerous injuries his son has sustained. He saw the wrapped bite wound on the leg and the scratches on the right thigh but also the blooming bruises and raw marks on the slim wrists.

He had seen too many wounds in his long life to not know one thing with certainty. The bruises and cuts were surely not inflicted by some wild beasts. Instantly Bregan´s report came back to him. `This time they want to hurt him`. Sharply he looked up and directed a disapproving glance at his captain. Sighing Thalan looked back at his sire. “There’s another story behind this that I haven’t discovered yet,” he answered indicating the many bruises.

Knowing that he was directing his anger at wrong person the King stood, carefully cradling his son to his chest. “I´m sorry, Captain. I know what you did for my son and I´m grateful. The culprit is who caused these injuries is known to me, I did not mean to accuse you.“ “I know,” the warrior answered and helped the King mount with his charge. Feeling Legolas snuggle closed to his chest the King gave the signal to depart.

 

…………………………………………

Hovering one step behind his Master Healer the King waited anxiously until he had finished his examination. His son was still unconscious and the bruises on his torso contrasted starkly with the pale skin. Now that he had a full view of the injuries his anger rose up another notch. How could someone dare to hurt his child like this? Looking up as the healer covered the boy with a blanket the King´s patience was nearly gone.

Sensing this, the healer sighed. “I have cleaned and re-bandaged the bite wound on his leg and the scratches to his thigh although your captain had done a good job.  There are two cracked ribs, which are, unfortunately, more painful than a clean break. The bruises will fade in time. I have given him herbs against the pain and a sleeping draught. He should wake tomorrow.” Nodding the King kissed his son´s forehead and inclined his head.

“Thank you, I will be back soon and watch over him through the night.“ Knowing that advising against this action with his King would be fruitless, the healer merely nodded”. With one last look the King turned and strode straight away toward his office. His seneschal had informed him that Thoran and his companions had been found and brought into his study. Now the many questions would be answered and most of all they would answer to him.

 

………………………………………………..

After a quick talk with his captain to exchange their information he entered his study and took a deep breath to compose himself. He would hear their explanations, albeit his decision to punish the youngsters was already guaranteed. Regardless of their reasons they had left his son helpless to defend himself against a warg attack. They had deliberately accepted the boy´s death and this could not go unpunished.

Nodding his thanks at his seneschal the King sat behind his desk and studied the three youngsters closely. It was instantly clear who this Thoran was. He sat there in the middle of the three, his chin held high with an arrogant expression on his face. The other two boys presented a look of misery. Pale and shivering they sat there not able to meet the King´s gaze. “Well”, the King said.  “Would someone enlighten me about what happened today in the woods?  Start with the morning when my son arrived at the training fields for his lessons.” The King´s seneschal cringed. He knew this tone of voice well. Thranduil was one step away from exploding. Thoran however seemed not to notice or ignore the King´s ire.

“I do not know what you mean. What have we to do with your son?,“ he asked with a nearly bored expression. Recognizing the shocked looks the other two boys shot each other the King briefly closed his eyes and stood. “Then let me help your memory. You attacked my son on his way to the training fields, dragged him into the woods, tied him to a tree and beat him. As two wargs appeared you fled and left the injured and helpless boy alone. Have I missed anything?”

Before Thoran could utter something, one of the other boys sprung up. “We did not want this, sire. Thoran said we would scare the boy a bit and then let him go. We never wanted to hurt him.” Turning Thoran glared at the boy. “Shut up, Thregon. This  Sindarin brat needed a lesson!“

Stunned the King stopped in his advance to show the youth his place. Thoran had not only affirmed his guess what had happened today but called his son a Sindarin brat? Now they were getting to the core of all this mess. Thoran was one of these troublemakers which disapproved of a Sindarin King over Silvan elves. And suddenly he knew where he had heard Thoran´s name before. He was one of the agitators always causing trouble.

Seeing that here all rational arguments were wasted he ordered the guards to take the youngsters back to their cells. His heart went out to his son. Now he knew why the youth was so withdrawn of late, if he had to suffer Thoran and his likes. Nonetheless he must act wisely. He could not overdo the punishment of the three boys. Of course their crime could not go unanswered. If not for Captain Thalan his son would be dead by now, but he must ever consider the much larger group of Silvan elves under his role. There were still a few who were not happy with a Sindar King. He could not afford a conflagration.

Anyway this elf must be removed, and with him all the others supporting him. They had tried to kill his son and therefore they must pay. Knowing the two other boys were only followers he decided that Thoran and his family would be banished from Mirkwood, never to return and the other two would never be allowed to join the warrior ranks and would be watched closely. When this was done he returned to his son’s bedside and watched the night over next to his child. In the morning he was delighted to see his son awake.

He gently caressed his son´s cheek. “Legolas, how do you feel?” he whispered still shaken at what could have happened. Blue eyes looked hesitantly back at him. “I´m sorry, Ada, I did not mean……..,“  “Shht, Legolas. I know what happened. Don´t worry all will be well again.“

Seeing the doubt and hurt in his son´s eyes the King carefully bent down and embraced his child. Slowly, much too slowly for his liking the boy relaxed and sobbed quietly into his chest. Only holding the boy the King sat quietly until the sobs had stopped. After a while he raised the boy´s chin with his finger. “Legolas, you are safe now. You must not fear Thoran and the others any longer. I´ve made sure they will never bother you again.” Sighing, a little colour returned into the pale little face.

Not really satisfied with his son´s remote reaction the King looked again into his child´s eyes. “What is it, Legolas? Why have you not told me what has plagued you?“

Looking down the boy chewed on his lower lip. “Your interference would have made it all worse and besides ….”

“Yes…?”

“….you are always busy and….”

Now the King struggled with his composure. It was what he had feared. He was so engaged in his work that he had neglected his child to a point that the boy did not seek him out anymore when troubled. Embracing the shivering boy again, this time a little harder he whispered into the little pointed ear. “I´m sorry, Legolas, you are right, but I will change this immediately. From now on my door will always be open for you, no matter what, do you understand? There is nothing more important to me than you. Can you forgive me?”

Looking momentarily speechless the little elf hugged his father back. “I love you, Ada,” he whispered as he sagged against the older elf relieved to have his Adar back.

To be continued......





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List