Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of Elves, Men and Peredhil  by Rhyselle

A/N:  Inspired by a comment made by one of my reviewers asking why Elwing put the Silmaril ahead of her children. This is what came to mind after re-reading: Too late the ships of Círdan and Gil-galad the High King came hasting to the aid of the Elves of Sirion; and Elwing was gone, and her sons. Then such few of that people as did not perish in the assault joined themselves to Gil-galad, and went with him to Balar; and they told that Elros and Elrond were taken captive, but Elwing with the Silmaril upon her breast had cast herself into the sea. (Chapter 24, Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath)

Possession

(exactly 100 words)

Don't let them have me! Your great-grandfather and your father died for me... can you do no less?

The subtle voice of the Silmaril filled her mind as Elwing raced up the stairs of the tower.

The image of her sons' nurse and tutor lying slain in the bloody school room rose before her, and Elwing sobbed as she reached the chamber that overlooked the sea. Her children were gone, dead or captive, and she hated herself as she scrabbled at the catch of the window casement.

I can't give you up, not even for them. And she jumped.

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List