Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Deck of Heroes  by Larner

For Addie for her birthday.

The Star

            Where are you, my elusive Eagle of the Star?  Who are you, and what are you?  Why did you come?  What do you want?  Does your star ascend or descend?  Or is it fated to fall in a brilliant shower of fire?

            You are no Rohir, for all you came to us from Thengel’s court.  There are those who, looking at you, have been willing to swear that my father must have played my mother false, and that you and I must be brothers by blood.  You are fluent in Sindarin and Quenya as well as Rohirric and Adunaic, although you use phrases uncommon to either Gondor or Umbar.  Those who have come to us from the North, those we have ever referred to as the Lost, respond to you with far more deference than they show to me or my father.  Oh, there is no question they respect us and our orders; but they stand straighter when they come before you, and are quicker to follow orders, although they also are more likely to question you as to your intent.  There is a feeling of familiarity between you and the other northern mercenaries.

            So, I wonder, do they see you as their Gil-Estel?  Do they guide themselves by your light?  But no fixed star are you--a wandering planet, rather.  Nor, I find, can I track you within the Palantir of Minas Anor.  All I find when I would look upon your doings is a brilliant light and sometimes the disapproving face of a woman of great beauty.

            I wonder--by what star do you set your own course?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List