Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Family Fight  by Mysterious Jedi

Disclaimer: Rivendell and its inhabitants belong to Tolkien Estates. I’m just writing stories for fun (and not profit).

Estel had to laugh at his twin brothers, Elladan and Elrohir. Even though they had both been mighty warriors for many more years than Estel had been alive, they seemed to have trouble sparring with each other. The problem was that they knew each other's fighting styles too well. This was helpful when they were out fighting orcs; they could fight together effectively because each one knew what the other was doing at all times. However, when that knowledge carried over into their friendly competitions against each other, it could be extremely frustrating. How do you fight with someone when you always know what they're about to do, and they always know what you are about to do? It is like fighting with yourself.

The twins finally gave up their match in frustration.

"You just wait, Elrohir, next time I am going to disarm you and have you at the end of my blade before you know what happened!"

"Keep dreaming, Elladan. It is you who will taste defeat at the tip of my sword!"

Estel still could not stop laughing. The twins parted ways, each thinking furiously about how to resolve this problem and conquer his brother.

//I know,// Elladan thought, //I'll ask Erestor! He has not sparred with anyone in years, but he's so old and learned that he must know some moves that I've never used before, and I can use them to beat Elrohir!//

Meanwhile, in the next room, Elrohir had also reached a decision. //Estel! It's so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of it before! He's just returned from travelling in the South. Surely he has learned some different techniques there! I'll ask him to show me, and then I can use them to win victory over Elladan!// He immediately went in search of his foster brother.

"Estel! Most excellent of brothers! How are you on this fine afternoon?"

"What do you want, Elrohir?" Estel asked.

Elrohir closed the door. "It's about my sparring match with Elladan." Elrohir said. Estel was hard pressed not to start laughing all over again.

"What do you want me to do about it?" he asked.

"Show me some of the things you learned in your time with Thengel and Ecthelion. Surely they fight differently there than we do in the North."

Estel looked at his brother incredulously. "You want me to teach you about sword fighting? But you and Elladan are the ones who taught me!"

Elrohir shook his head. "It doesn't matter. You've learned a lot since then."

Estel still looked unconvinced. "Elves are held to be the best warriors in the world, and the twin sons of Elrond are feared by orcs everywhere as some of the best warriors of any race left in Middle Earth. Nothing that I have learned while abroad will help you much. You are still a better fighter than I am, and likewise better than those in the North who have taught me."

"They don't have to be better techniques, just different. Something that Elladan will not expect."

"Well, all right then. I'm sure we can find a quiet place in the gardens somewhere to practice away from Elladan's eyes."

 "Excellent!" Elrohir looked positively gleeful. "Let's go!"

********

Elladan pounded furiously at Erestor's door. The elf inside finally opened it, looking exasperated.

"Elladan! What has you so excited! Is someone injured? Have orcs been seen outside Rivendell?"

"No, but I cannot seem to beat Elrohir sparring."

Erestor stared at the younger ellon. "You were pounding on my door like an overeager elfling at Mettare because your brother beat you sparring?"

"No! He did not beat me. That is the whole problem. Neither of us can defeat the other, because we know each other's fighting styles too well. I was hoping you could teach me some old forgotten moves that I could use to achieve victory in this most important of battles."

Inwardly, Erestor laughed. //So the twins still cannot break out of their old habits. I just might be able to help with that. It is so good to see them lighthearted, after seeing the battle fury that resulted from their mother's trials. If Elladan was asking for my help because he wanted to go hunt more orcs, I think I would refuse. But since it is for a friendly competition with Elrohir...//

 "Come, elfling. We have work to do!"

*******

 At first, no one in Imladris paid the twins any attention. They were simply practicing with each other again. Yes, it could be amusing watching their futile efforts to trick each other, but it got old after one had watched the same thing for a few centuries. Soon, however, the residents of the Last Homely House began to notice that this was not the Peredhel twins’ typical competition.

Elladan's eyebrows were narrowed in concentration. His eyes furiously scanned his brother's form in search of a good opening. Across from him, Elrohir looked relaxed. His face and body gave no indication of what move he was going to make next. Estel and Erestor watched intently.

The movements of the graceful swords and the elven bodies that wielded them were too rapid for the untrained eye to follow. To trained warriors, however, the match was a rare treat: two equally matched ellyn, engaged in a quick-moving contest of wit and skill that could only be admired, even by elves who had been practicing with their own swords for centuries, or even millennia.

Each twin had a new repertoire of moves, but it was still some minutes before either could gain the upper hand. Finally, in a move that only a few of the oldest elves recognized, Elladan disarmed his twin and put his blade to his brother's neck.

"Do you yield?" Elladan asked.

 Elrohir was panting for breath and staring at his brother in shock. "Aye...I yield."

Elladan grinned triumphantly, even as he helped his brother to his feet. "Behold the mighty Elladan Peredhel!" he proclaimed cockily, but the effect was ruined by his laughter, and the laughter of his defeated opponent.

"Well played, brother!" Elrohir said. "I must say, it is almost worth being defeated just to break up the monotony of our usual stalemates."

"I almost lost the match myself." Elladan replied. "Where did you learn all those moves? You were amazing, brother!"

Elrohir smiled mischievously. "I do not think I shall tell you that, brother. I need a few moves that you do not know. Next time it shall be you who is defeated!"

Elladan rolled his eyes. "Keep dreaming, brother. However, do not expect me to tell you where I learned the move that proved to be your downfall in this auspicious match!"

 "As long as we do not fall back into predictability!"

 





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List