Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Shadows of the Past  by Laikwalâssê

 

Shadows of the past

Disclaimer:

The characters, places, and events are creations of J.R.R. Tolkien. No profit was or will be made from this story. It was written solely for entertainment.

Author’s note:

Again many thanks to Erulisse and to Selene Aduial for beta reading this story for me. 

This is my first attempt to write a story located in Mirkwood. Please review and let me know what you think. Lai

Summary:

While visiting Mirkwood Lord Elrond remembers a tragedy long ago which had cost many lives and left great despair in its’ wake.

Rating:

PG-13

Characters and the name’s meanings:

Thranduil- King of Mirkwood

Elarinya- Queen of Mirkwood (morning star)

Galadhion- Thranduil´s oldest son (son of the tree)

Saeron- Thranduil´s second son (wood walker)

Legolas- Thranduil´s youngest son, (green leaf)

Chapter 1:

A look back

Thranduil, King of Greenwood the Great, stood at the steps leading to the main entrance of his underground palace. He still refused to accept the name that the great forest had obtained a long time ago; that of Mirkwood. He knew that the new name was more than fitting, however, as a quick look around him confirmed.

He shook his head and banned the dark thoughts to the back of his mind. Today was not for gloomy contemplation but for joy. A few hours ago he had received a message from one of the patrols that the Master of Imladris and his advisor had been spotted entering his realm.

The King had looked surprised at the news, because their coming was not announced. What could have happened to prompt the Lord of Imladris to leave his safe haven? They had entered the forest from the direction of the Golden Wood. Perhaps they would bring news from Lothlorien? He would find out soon enough. Whatever the reason, he was overjoyed to see his old companions again.

That, he remembered with remorse, had not always been the case. For many years in the past he would have not allowed one of them to set foot into his forest. Sadly he thought back to those times.

Old grudges and prejudices had dominated his mind back then. His unwillingness to let the past rest had nearly cost the life of one of his family members, only because he could not step over his pride and bitterness.

Taking a deep breath he shoved these unbidden memories back and looked up when he heard a commotion at the gates protecting his stronghold. The elves from Imladris had finally arrived. Concentrating briefly he released the magic that held the great gates closed and nodded toward the guards to open them.

Moments later the dark-haired Elf-Lord and his golden-haired advisor were riding through the gates. With a wave of his hand the King ordered a stable hand to receive the horses of his guests. He waited patiently until the visitors had gathered their belongings and mounted the many steps toward the entrance. He flashed a brief smile towards each of his sons who had silently appeared beside him.

When the two elves had reached the top step the King stepped forward, laid his hand over his heart and inclined his head. “Mae govannen, Lord Elrond, Lord Glorfindel,” the Woodland King said warmly and smiled. “I hope your journey was pleasant and untroubled,” he finished the traditional greeting.

The Lord of Rivendell inclined his head and bowed, as did Glorfindel. “Mae govannen King Thranduil, it’s always a pleasure to be here,” the dark haired Elf-Lord replied.

Almost as tall as his father, yet in appearance greatly resembling his mother, Galadhion, Crown Prince and troop commander of the forest defences smiled too at the Imladris delegation. “It’s good to see you again,” he said while bowing.

“Thank you for your welcome,” Elrond replied while looking deep into the eyes of Thranduil´s eldest. On the outside Galadhion always appeared reserved and aloof but Elrond had come to know him as a very caring elf, not always displaying his emotions and thoughts at first glance or for all to see.

He shifted his gaze to the third elf standing there. Tall, black-haired and with a grin on his face, Saeron was the exact opposite in character from his older brother. Open, straight-forward and often a bit too eager in making his decisions but always hearty and sincere.

Before he could greet Saeron, the King’s second son, he realized that a small elfling was peeking around the King’s legs. He had sneaked up there without them knowing. A golden-haired elfling with bright blue eyes watched him critically.

Only briefly interrupted the King grabbed the small elfling and lifted him easily into his arms. “Elrond, Glorfindel, allow me to introduce my youngest son to you – Legolas.” Looking at the little elf with surprise, Glorfindel leaned toward his Lord. “Without doubt,” he whispered into Elrond’s ear.

Elrond smiled. Glorfindel was right. Thranduil could be counted among the fairest elves in all of Middle-Earth and the elfling was a perfect copy of his father, it was undeniable. Whereas his brothers were dark haired, the elfling had golden hair like his father. Of course they had been informed about the birth of the King´s youngest son, but they had not met him until now.

Seeing Thranduil´s amused look Elrond inclined his head toward the elfling who watched him with a frown from the safety of his father’s strong arms. “Greetings, Prince Legolas. I’m glad to finally meet you.”

“Hello”, the elfling answered a bit shyly while pressing deeper into his father’s chest. After watching the strangers, one dark-haired like his mother, the other with hair as pretty as his ada´s the elfling turned his head to look at his father.

“Ada let me down. Nana has called me twice. I must go!” he demanded with a most sincere expression on his face.

Thranduil laughed. “Then you had better hurry. We should not let her wait, should we?” The elfling shook his head vigorously and squirmed to be let down. Carefully the blond elf put the elfling on the ground. Remembering his manners in time the elfling bowed and staggered off, before the two Elf-Lords from Imladris could return the gesture.

Finally Elrond could greet Saeron. “Mae govannen, elfling,” he said and embraced the dark haired elf. Savouring the affection, Saeron answered the hug chuckling. Elrond and Thranduil´s middle son shared a special bond, since Elrond had saved his life almost a millennia ago.

Thranduil´s face sobered as he remembered these dark days. He looked after Legolas; Saeron had been his age, a mere elfling, when it seemed that he had no chance to survive.

To be continued……………..





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List