Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Shadows of the Past  by Laikwalâssê

Shadows of the past

Disclaimer:  see chapter 1

Author’s note:

Again many thanks to Erulisse and to Selene Aduial for beta reading this story for me. 

Chapter 6:  journey into darkness

Stepping through the main entrance of the Last Homely House the Master of Rivendell stopped his long strides when he spotted his two elflings standing on the steps with their arms crossed over their chests and identical expressions of defiance on their little faces. Feeling annoyed and raising an eyebrow at his wife who was standing right next to him, he sighed knowing what his sons would demand. He thought the matter had been settled already.

Although he did not have the time to go through all the arguments again, he knelt down so that he was at eye level with his sons. “What is the meaning of this?” he asked, but softened his tone when he saw the lower lip of the younger twin begin to tremble. The children did not understand the reason why he had to depart so suddenly. He had not left the valley since their birth and now he had to leave for an unknown amount of time and to a place that was foreign to them.

“Why can we not come with you?” two identical voices asked softly never taking their anxious eyes from their father’s face. Dropping his already-packed travel bag on the ground the Master of Imladris took a deep breath and contemplated how to best explain why he must depart and why they could not come along.

“Elladan, Elrohir, we have spoken about this already. In Lasgalen there are many ill elves and therefore it is too dangerous for you to come with me. Besides it is a long and dangerous journey and we could not leave your Naneth all alone, could we?”

Looking uncertain at their mother, the two little elflings shook their heads slowly. “No”, was the reluctant answer from the younger twin. Elladan however was not so easily placated. “But why do you have to go at all? Elves do not get ill, you have said so yourself.”

The Master of Imladris sighed again and looked straight at his sons. “That’s right, but somehow in this case, even elves are affected, and there are many ill elflings. I must go because they need my help. We are not to question the will of the Valar. I will be back as soon as possible,” Elrond promised, kissing each of his sons on the forehead. Since he received no further questions he started to rise. Even though he thought he had convinced them, he was mistaken. At least his older twin was not willing to give up without a fight.

“But…but the King of the wood elves hates you!” Elladan blurted out knowing of no other way to get his father’s attention back.

Elrond head snapped up at this statement clearly not produced by the elfling´s mind. He suspected he knew the culprit behind this already, but he asked nonetheless. “Who said that?” Shifting nervously, the elflings looked uncomfortably at each other. Celebrían laid a hand on her husband’s shoulder in a comforting and sympathetic gesture.

“Yes?” Elrond demanded barely able to suppress a grin since no answer was forthcoming. “Glorfindel,” Elladan whispered and looked quickly at the golden warrior standing beside his father.

The Master of Imladris let out his breath slowly and turned to face his councillor. Glofindel met his gaze steadily. “And that’s exactly why you will accompany me - to protect me from the mighty King of Mirkwood. Right, Glorfindel?” Elrond said sarcastically, finally rising to his feet.

Glorfindel was not impressed and inclined his head. “Right, my Lord, always at your service.” Kneeling down the blond elf pulled the little elflings into his arms and embraced them. ”Don’t worry young ones, no harm will befall your Ada.” Both elflings returned the hug and smiled again, ever confident in the mighty warrior.

Elrond smiled at the loving gesture Glorfindel bestowed on his sons and turned to embrace his wife. He held her close, feeling clearly the tension in her body “Good bye, my love. I will be back as soon as possible. I have left a considerable amount of the antidote and exact instructions should the need arise,” he whispered in her ear, earning a desperate nod.

“I hope we will have no need. Without your presence the success would be futile anyway.” Nodding mutely Elrond knew all too well that she was right. Celebrían held her husband tight for a few minutes more. “Be careful. I hope you will be successful and please greet Elarinya for me.”

“I will,” Elrond replied and withdrew before his emotions could get the better of him. He grabbed his travelling bag holding the precious vials he hoped would bring healing and mounted his horse.

Celebrían stepped forward and before the golden haired warrior could mount she embraced him too. “Take care of him and yourself too,” she whispered into his pointed ear.

Glorfindel returned the embrace with a whispered pledge, the only reassurance she needed. The Lady of Rivendell and her little sons stood there on the steps and waved until the two Elf-Lords rode past the gates and were out of sight. Celebrían sent a silent prayer to the Valar that the plague would spare her beloved home or be delayed at least until her husband had returned. But with the power of Vilya gone the valley’s protection was not as strong as usual.

Sensing the inner turmoil of his mother but not able to fathom the reason behind it Elladan looked up at her. “Nana, why is the King of Mirkwood so angry with father?” he asked raising his arms, demanding to be picked up. Elrohir mirrored the gesture not wanting to be left out and the fair haired Lady scooped both boys into her arms.

Smiling at them she considered the question carefully. “That’s a long and sad story,” she answered and was instantly aware of the trap she had walked into.

“We always love…..” Elladan began, “…. Long and sad stories,” Elrohir finished. “Will you tell us?” both boys inquired.

She thought for a moment on how to tell the complex story about the complicated relationship the two elves shared without scaring the children too much. Finally after considering her course of action, she smiled at the expectant faces. “I will,” she said earning a hug from both her sons.

 

………………………………………..

Glorfindel watched the Master of Imladris quietly as they rode side by side through the silent forest. They had entered the realm of the Elven King a few hours ago and no guards had stopped them but Glorfindel was sure they were there, silently watching their every move, hidden in the thick foliage of the dark forest.

Elrond had not spoken a word since the morning had dawned. He was wandering in memories and lost in thoughts concerning their upcoming meeting with the Elven King. Glorfindel heightened his senses to detect any danger in time, because he doubted that his Lord would notice a threat quickly enough in his preoccupied state.

They had nearly reached the inner circle of Mirkwood; which was well protected and watched; and Glorfindel expected a patrol to appear any minute. The Imladris elves had no way of knowing if their presence had been announced to the King already.

The gloom around them was darkening and Glorfindel guessed that the sun was dropping behind the horizon; something that was not easy to tell with the thick canopy overhead producing an ever-present twilight. Mirkwood was not a place to travel by night, especially not for elves that were unfamiliar with the dangers of this great forest at any rate.

Reining in his mount, Glorfindel stopped when he spotted a little clearing ahead. “We should make camp here and continue at sunrise. I wouldn’t like an arrow in my back because of an over nervous border guard who mistook us for orcs.”

Not as unaware as Glorfindel had guessed Elrond sighed and stopped reluctantly. He looked warily around, not feeling comfortable in this depressing forest. “I don’t think that would happen. I would appreciate some rest though.”

Sighing in relief Glorfindel dismounted and looked amused at his friend, while he stretched his aching back after dismounting. “You should change your desk chair for a horse’s back more often,” he teased lightly.

“Perhaps you are right”, Elrond replied with a wry grin. “I think I am growing old.”

Glorfindel smiled while brushing down their mounts while the Master of Rivendell was busy collecting fallen logs to kindle a small fire. After finishing the grooming and providing the horses with some treats Glorfindel joined his friend at the fire. “If you are old, what does that make me then?”

Elrond smiled; wise enough not to answer this question. Glorfindel had again managed to lighten his mood. After sharing a quick and cold meal, the dark haired Elf-Lord stretched out on his bedroll beside Glorfindel next to the fire and looked at the stars. Through the silently swaying tree tops he could glimpse some of them. Looking at them from a slightly different angle than at home, he let their light and their steady presences comfort him.

“What bothers you?” Glorfindel suddenly asked, sensing the inner turmoil of his travelling companion. Elrond looked at the golden haired elf startled. “I have thought about tomorrow and what awaits us. Thranduil will not be pleased to see me. In truth I don’t know how to face the King.” Closing his eyes Elrond let out a deep sigh.

Glorfindel turned half around and looked at his friend. “Elrond, you come to help. He knows this,” the warrior replied.

Elrond shook his head lightly. “Have you forgotten how stubborn he can be?” They had once been good friends, brothers in arms, united in their fight against Sauron until that fateful day when King Oropher was killed on the battlefield of Dagorlad and his people were decimated to a pitiful reminder of their former strength and glory. Elrond closed his eyes when the memories came crushing back. To his memory it seemed only yesterday.

Sensing clearly the intense emotions Glorfindel sat up, now looking fully at his friend. “No I haven´t, but he fears for the life of his son and for the wellbeing of his people. I think he will change his mind once you have arrived.”

“At this point I think you are wrong, my friend,” Elrond replied sadly. “He is a King with a heart that cannot forgive and forget. Long years of toil and grief have made him bitter.”

Knowing that he could not convince his Lord this night and in fact unsure about how the King would react, Glorfindel let the matter drop. “Try to rest. I fear there will be little opportunity during the next few days.” Elrond nodded and looked again at the stars, he would rest his weary body but sleep would not come to him this night.

Both elves were unaware of the many eyes watching them; ever vigilantly guarding them to make sure that no harm would come to the two Elf-Lords, so unfamiliar with the dangerous forest.

 

……………………………………………

Elrond awoke early the next morning, astounded that sleep had finally claimed him. He rose quickly, anxious to resume their journey. As he turned he looked at the grinning face of Glorfindel.

“Have you slept well, my friend?” the blonde elf teased, knowing how furious Elrond would be when realizing that he had fallen asleep, despite his former claim.

“You should have woken me. It’s far too dangerous in this forest to be unaware,” the Elven Lord replied annoyed; even though it was more with himself then with his travelling companion. Glorfindel´s smile brightened. “I wasn’t unaware, and don’t worry there are many eyes watching over us.”

Deliberately misunderstanding the warriors words Elrond shrugged. “Oh, yes, of that I’m sure. For their next meal I suppose.”

Glorfindel grinned, knowing that Elrond had taken the hint. Mirkwood warriors had been following them since the previous day. Even if they were not able to see any of them, they were there. Casually Elrond took a look around, yet he could detect nothing. ‘All right’, he thought. ‘This is Mirkwood and we must play their games.’

After breaking camp they mounted, determined to cross the remaining distance to the palace swiftly. When two guards, dressed in the typical colours of Mirkwood, suddenly dropped from the trees, the Imladris elves stopped their mounts at a safe distance from the armed guards. Having long expected this Elrond and Glorfindel waited patiently.

“Stop!” the guard in front announced. He held his long bow casually by his side but his companion had an arrow notched and trained on the Noldor elves. “You enter the realm of King Thranduil. Who are you?”

Irritated by this overdone display Elrond nonetheless inclined his head. Surely the whole palace knew by now who was arriving but first he must deal with this over agitated guard, otherwise he would get stopped here.

“I’m Master Elrond of Imladris and this is Lord Glorfindel. We seek an audience with your King. He is awaiting us.” Glorfindel grimaced, when he thought about the forced meeting between the two realms. Thranduil would surely not be pleased to see them.

Elrond waited patiently as the guard gave some orders to his companion. Inclining his head toward the Rivendell elves he repeated. “Lord Galadhion has announced your arrival. Master Elrond, Lord Glorfindel, please follow me. I will escort you to the palace.”

Elrond and Glorfindel nodded, and the guards retrieved and mounted their horses. Elrond gazed at Glorfindel; they had no choice but to follow the patrol.

Reaching the courtyard half an hour later, their quiet companions departed without another word and Elrond looked around. Immediately he noticed that the great gates protecting the stronghold stood open. Was this an invitation? Elrond knew that only the King could open and close the gates through some sort of magic. Was Thranduil accepting their visit at last?

Not seeing the King anywhere Elrond doubted that Thranduil was happy with their reunion. When Glorfindel touched his arm lightly, Elrond looked toward the palace entrance and spotted Galadhion, the King’s eldest son standing there. Sighing deeply and ignoring the new affront he dismounted alongside Glorfindel, slowly mounting the steps to greet the younger elf. With a backwards glance he was satisfied that at least their horses were being treated appropriately.

When they had reached the top step Galadhion stepped forward and greeted the two Elves with his hand over his heart and a slight bow. “I’m glad that you are here, both of you,” he added quickly looking at Glorfindel. “I hope your journey was pleasant and uneventful.” Knowing that this was only a formal greeting Elrond inclined his head without answering. Of course Galadhion would have been informed if something had happened to the two travellers.

“Thank you for the welcome, Galadhion. I’m glad to be here and hope we are not too late,” Elrond replied, while watching the younger elf intently.

Knowing that his father was deliberately avoiding the two Rivendell elves Galadhion sighed, relieved that Elrond and Glorfindel did not seen to be affronted, at least not on the outside, and did not blame him. “Just in time”, he stated smiling openly at the new-comers.

“Where is your father, Galadhion?” Glorfindel asked annoyed. There it was. How could he have hoped to overplay this embarrassing situation? Wincing, the dark haired elf directed a pained gaze toward the older warrior, knowing full well how his father was treating his guests.

“He awaits you in his study,” he said an apologetic tone in his voice. Clearly sensing the younger one’s discomfort Glorfindel stepped closer. “It’s not your fault, Galadhion. You have done what you thought right.”

Galadhion nodded not really convinced. He made an inviting gesture and led the Rivendell elves down the long corridor that led to the King’s more private study, after he had ordered some servants to take the visitors’ packs.

Elrond and Glorfindel stopped, when they reached a huge double door. Galadhion hesitated, but eventually he took heart and knocked.

Long seconds passed without a reply. Elrond held his breath, not believing the stubborn behaviour of his once friend. Galadhion stood as anxiously and was about to knock again, when the call came: “Enter!”

Sighing Galadhion opened the door and stepped inside, motioning the visitors to follow. Squaring his shoulders Elrond crossed the threshold closely followed by Glorfindel.

The King stood in front of his desk, casually leaning against it. Elrond however noticed clearly the stiffness and worry the King’s body emanated despite his best efforts to conceal them. He was dressed in casual attire, nothing befitting a welcome for representatives from other realms. Elrond wondered if the King did this on purpose to show them his rejection or if his worries overpowered his sense of diplomacy.

Galadhion bowed before his father. “My Lord, Master Elrond and Lord Glorfindel have just arrived.” He straightened up again; keeping his eyes on the floor the young prince waited uncomfortably for further instructions. An awkward silence stretched between the four elves. Elrond wondered if it lay upon his shoulders to take the first step.

Finally the King gazed at his eldest son. “Very well, leave us alone.” The icy tone made the younger elf cringe. With one last glance at the visitors he bowed and left the room suppressing the urge to run. The silence that again stretched was almost palpable. Elrond and Thranduil only gazed at one another. If the circumstances had not been as dire, it would have been amusing. *What has become of our friendship?* Elrond asked himself sadly and took a deep breath, when he was sure that his voice wouldn’t betray him.

“My Lord King, I come here in this dire hour of need to offer you all the help I’m able to provide.” When it had been said, Elrond was relieved, although at the same time he was angry at himself. How hollow his words had sounded, even to his own ears.

The King however hadn’t even blinked. He only stood there, arrogance himself. Glorfindel took a deep intake of breath to quell the anger rising inside of him. How dare this thick-headed elf greet them in this manner? Surely they had other problems at the moment. He knew how Elrond suffered under the repeated rejection from the King and that made him furious.

Before, however Glorfindel had the chance to vent his anger, the King stepped forward, gazing directly at Elrond. “I do not need your help, Noldor! You came without my asking for it and without my permission.”

Elrond was taken aback and almost stepped back a pace. He had expected the King to be annoyed but these hateful words showed clearly the contempt the King was feeling toward him. A chill ran down his spine. Coming here was a mistake. He had lost precious time. He should have known better. The hope he had harboured of a reunion was crushed.

Intent on leaving the room and departing immediately for home the Master of Rivendell looked up surprised when his advisor stepped forward, until he stood only inches from the King.

Taking a deep breath, Glorfindel said in a very low voice. “You waste time your son and your people don’t have. Can we come to terms, or do you prefer to nurture your ridiculous accusations longer and forfeit the only chance the elves of your realm have?”

Shocked at these clear words Elrond looked at the King, fearing that he would attack Glorfindel right away. Yet Thranduil stepped back with a calm expression on his face, surprising the Rivendell elf once more. If Elrond had hoped however, that the King had changed his mind, he was disappointed the second after. “Go!” the King growled, “Both of you. You are not welcome here.”

Before anyone could recover from this the door burst open, revealing the Queen of Mirkwood. Elrond shuddered when he observed the panic on her face. “Thranduil,” she cried not yet aware of the two elves standing in the middle of the room. “Saeron stopped breathing. The healers cannot help him.”

The situation changed quickly. The anger on Thranduil´s face was replaced by sheer horror. Elrond and Glorfindel looked equally shocked at the bad news.

Elarinya, suddenly recognizing the two other elves, turned toward the dark haired healer. “Master Elrond, please help him. I beg you,” she cried, now sobbing openly. Before Elrond could reply, Thranduil grabbed the arm of his wife steering her toward the door.

Quickly Elrond stepped in their way and stopped them. “Please Thranduil, let me help, at least let me try!” he demanded. Not able to think straight and frantic with worry the King only nodded and the four elves hurried down the corridor together.

To be continued…………………….

A/N:

please let me know what you think and review. I really appreciate every one of them. It keeps me going. Lai





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List