Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Shadows of the Past  by Laikwalâssê

Shadows of the past

Disclaimer:  see chapter 1

Author’s note:

Again many thanks to Erulisse and to Selene Aduial for beta reading this story for me. 

Chapter 8:  Achievements

After hours of concentrated work to complete the antidote the Lord of Rivendell stretched his aching back, rose, and walked to the large window overlooking the courtyard. It was deserted except for the guards on duty and a few servants hurrying about doing their daily chores. The courtyard was no longer the lively place it used to be.

He guessed that the elves of Lasgalen were staying at home hoping to avoid getting infected. An understandable reaction but one without effect, Elrond thought sadly, a virus couldn’t be stopped by a closed door.

Somehow he had expected the King to show up again but he had been disappointed. Elrond had hoped that the King would change his mind. The state of the Prince had not improved and would not without the right medicine. And what role did the Queen play in this battle of wills?

The healer was still irritated over the King’s behaviour. How far would the King go? Would he really risk the life of his son just to hold onto his rejection of him? Briefly he considered whether he had made the right choice in coming here, with the same threat lingering on his own doorstep. But then he shook his head. If he could rescue only one of the children here then it would be worth all the trouble.

Lost in his thoughts Elrond startled when the door opened and someone stepped inside. He did not have to turn to recognize the light steps of Glorfindel. It could only be his advisor; he was the only one who would ever come in without bothering to knock or announce his presence. The golden warrior stepped up beside him and for a few moments they just stood there in companionable silence, observing the deserted courtyard below the window. The sight of the formerly lively place was somewhat frightening. Except the guards standing bravely at their posts no elf could be seen crossing the common area between the palace and the surrounding wood.

Suddenly and without warning the Lord of Imladris moaned and pressed the palms of his hands against his temples. Glorfindel looked up, alarmed, when his Lord swayed on his feet and quickly grabbed the dark haired elf’s arm to steady him. Having seen this many times before, the golden warrior knew instantly what was happening. Slipping his arm around the elf to help him stand Glorfindel waited patiently until the vision would release its hold.

Focused on the vision Elrond was only vaguely aware of the steady presence next to him. His breathing increased however while he looked at a barren wasteland devoid of all life. No, that was not entirely true. There were orcs and other dark minions roaming the countryside. He nearly cried out when he could not detect any presence of the elven kind. The entire race of the elves had been erased from the face of Middle Earth by this plague.

Now in dire need of the arm around his waist to steady him, his mind was assaulted by lifeless eyes in little children’s faces looking at him pleadingly and at the same time accusingly. Involuntarily he took a deep breath and stepped back a step, forcing Glorfindel to re-arrange his hold.

When the healer’s eyes finally lost their glassy look and Elrond turned toward him, Glorfindel could not help but feel worried when he noticed the ashen complexion of his Lord. After the dark haired elf had regained both his composure and his balance Glorfindel asked, even though he knew better, “What have you seen, my Lord?”

Shaking his head to get rid of the last cobwebs Elrond looked at his advisor with sad, yet determined eyes. “We had better make the King see reason and hurry with the distribution of the antidote.”

Like many times before Glorfindel was unable to make sense of his Lord’s cryptic words. But he was gifted with enough imagination, so he only nodded, determined to support his friend in every effort he deemed necessary. Sensing how urgent the demand for action had become, Glorfindel nonetheless had to try to talk some sense in his own Lord’s mind first. “You look tired, Elrond. A few hours rest will not hurt.”

Still unsteady on his feet the dark haired elf did not object; this made the advisor worry even more. Wearily Elrond sat down in an overstuffed chair and closed his eyes to get rid of the children’s eyes looking at him. The image would haunt his dreams for years to come.

A commotion in the courtyard drew Elrond to his feet again and both elves stepped back toward the window. A small group of wood elves, guards and servants alike, had gathered around a young couple. The elleth was leaning heavily on her husband crying desperately. Only then Elrond noticed the bundle she clutched against her breast.

Instantly his heart dropped into his stomach. From the expression on both parents’ faces Elrond had no illusion about which state the elfling would be in. Words were not necessary. Both elves looked at each other and hastened out of the room, down the long corridor and toward the main entrance.

When Elrond emerged out of the front door all attention was momentarily drawn to him. The young woman raised her eyes and staggered toward him.

“Help me, she cannot breathe,” she cried stretching her arms out toward the healer. Elrond hesitated briefly when he saw Thornil emerging from the front door. Not wanting to compromise the palace healer he sought the gaze of his colleague and received a nod of approval.

Descending the last steps Elrond pushed through the crowd and gathered the little body in his arms and then he closed his eyes in despair. Without looking at the girl he knew that she was already dead and nothing he could do would ever rescue her. The child was long beyond any chance to help. The fea had already left the small body.

Slowly he opened his eyes and looked at the parents huddled together in misery. The father had seemingly already registered the horrible truth, while the young woman was looking at him with pleading eyes, like the eyes in his vision…..

Stepping closer to the elleth he looked deeply into her eyes trying to comfort her fea with his own while laying the dead child back into her trembling arms. “I’m sorry” he whispered ready to catch her if she would collapse.

Long minutes she looked at him in disbelief until a cry of utter despair left her mouth and she collapsed into her husbands arms. The young elf had reacted quickly enough to catch her.

The elves standing around them averted their eyes in sympathy; knowing that no one could take away the pain. It was too early to express their condolences. So they just stood there with the couple in their midst, mourning yet another loss.

The elf-Lord could barely hold back his own tears while looking at the weeping couple. To lose a child was something he could hardly imagine. He did not think that he could bear this. He jerked away startled when Glorfindel laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. “Come, you cannot change this, but you can rescue others.”

Elrond nodded tiredly. Glorfindel was right. He had to clear his mind and concentrate on the task for which he had come here.

Only with a great deal of effort was he able to tear his gaze from the dead child and the picture of utter devastation. The haunting eyes crept back into his mind. What if the plague reached Rivendell? What if he could not stop this illness here? Shuddering, he finally rose and turned intent at redoubling his efforts to complete the antidote.

At that moment Elrond noticed Thranduil. The King stood at the entrance of the palace his long cloak billowing behind him in the chill wind. The healer stopped dead in his tracks causing his advisor, walking right behind him, to nearly bump into him. Glorfindel looked at his Lord in concern expecting that another vision had gripped him, but narrowed his eyes when he followed the healer’s gaze.

There, just beyond the threshold of the great entrance stood the King of this realm, the indifferent mask on his face replaced by horror. The King’s face was pale and dark circles under his eyes told that he hadn’t slept much either. What will you do now? Have you changed your mind? the Balrog slayer wondered silently.

For long minutes neither elf moved, the King was still staring at the spot the young couple had already deserted. Elrond was far too tired to get into yet another dispute with the King.

Intent on ignoring the King for the time being and already on his way to walk past him Elrond´s head snapped up, when the golden haired elf grabbed his arm in passing. Glorfindel right behind the healer tensed not sure what would occur next.

Looking at the Lord of Imladris with eyes darkened with worry the King said without preamble: “If you are able to stop this, then I do beg you, do it!”

Before Elrond could respond and without another word the King turned and re-entered the palace.

The healer swallowed. How he had hoped to hear these very words but at the same time he had dreaded them. He was back at the beginning of his dilemma again. He had no idea if the antidote would work and they were running out of time. Nonetheless he took a deep breath and looked at his advisor. A ghost of a smile was grazing the warrior’s lips.

“I told you he would change his mind. It’s just sad that it has cost another life for him to see reason.”

Elrond nodded. Yes, but now they could finally make progress. His friend of old wasn’t gone yet.

This was a start.

To be continued………………………





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List