Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Cusp of Victory  by Kara's Aunty

Disclaimer: Lord of the Rings is owned by J.R.R. Tolkien, his family, New Line cinema, etc. I have written this for my own enjoyment.

Summary: Friend becomes foe in the Sammath Naur …

A Trabble (300 words)

Chapter Five: Insurgency

The hobbits crashed to the ground in a tangle of limbs, rolling dangerously close to the precipice. Ring-Frodo, caught off guard by the attack, was winded for a moment, giving Sam precious time to locate his invisible master’s right shoulder and fumble blindly down the accompanying arm.

A shriek of rage made Sam wince in pain as Ring-Frodo bucked hard in an attempt to dislodge him. Sam pushed him awkwardly back onto the dusty rock with one shoulder whilst scrabbling down his arm with both hands. Snagging the rough orcish fabric of Ring-Frodo’s tunic, he pulled the forearm towards him to clutch at fingers …

Suddenly, Ring-Frodo grabbed his hair and yanked Sam’s head back viciously.

“Thief!” yelled the maddened hobbit into his ear. “It’s mine!”

Sam gasped as the wound to his temple throbbed in protest. Reflexively, he abandoned his quest for the Ring to free his hair from the other hobbit’s grip.

“Mr Frodo! I only want to help! You have to let it go, sir! You have to let it go afore it destroys you - afore it destroys us both!”

“The Precious is mine, thief! Mine!

Enraged, Ring-Frodo locked his right arm under Sam’s chin; the gardener felt the touch of his hand as it crept its way over his shoulder …

The Ring was within his grasp! All he had to do to free his master was grab at it, pluck it from his finger, and throw it into the waiting abyss!

But the opportunity never came. The hand snaked its way over his left shoulder and anchored itself with maddened ferocity to the back of his neck. Brutal pressure was applied to his throat and all thoughts of grabbing Sauron’s trinket slipped from Sam’s mind as his master proceeded to strangle him …

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List